Kernow MRC announce four new exclusive editions at Old Oak Common Open Day

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

£160 for an analogue Class 47 is just pure insanity

The way things are going with Sterling, we'll soon be looking back on that price with fond nostalgia.......... 

I'm afraid that seems to be the going rate (or thereabouts).

The way to get real bargains is to wait and see which versions (if any) hang around unsold for a long time.

Sorry, but if I really want a particular item, I'm not inclined to gamble on it being unpopular and I'm certainly not going to confine my purchases to stuff nobody else wants.

John

Not really that much at all, if it is what the market will bear, and it is a desirable item.

It is a lot of money, but its about the cost of two tickets to watch  the Arsenal (seeing as almost everyone on here seems to compare things to Premier League football prices for some reason) or a decent dinner and a drink or two for four people in a mid level pub/restaurant,

Yes, but how many people are actually coughing up the money and buying these limited editions now-a-days.  If you look at KMRC's website, there are plenty of Limited Editions from Bachmann on the shelves....

In the past I have had quite a few limited edition locos from them, but in recent years I have pretty much stopped, and I wonder how many more people have been pretty much priced out of the market too.  

Regards.

Graham Foulston.

His channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQ47e0Ai411n2iOhvWCQiVA

The videos in question:

Highly recommend subscribing to him, he's a gem of a person and has a lot of great videos.

He did a wonderful job on his Royal Train. It looks beautiful. I had a similar problem with the lights on the 67 on my WAG Train. I just stuck some masking tape over the contacts for the unwanted lights.

He did a wonderful job on his Royal Train. It looks beautiful. I had a similar problem with the lights on the 67 on my WAG Train. I just stuck some masking tape over the contacts for the unwanted lights.

What Graham has showed us is that some models do indeed look far better and far more realistic in a gloss finish, so many people are dead against gloss finishes, but Graham has shown how much better this looks. I think I'll do the same to my Royal Train some day.

• RMweb Gold

Yes, but how many people are actually coughing up the money and buying these limited editions now-a-days.  If you look at KMRC's website, there are plenty of Limited Editions from Bachmann on the shelves....

In the past I have had quite a few limited edition locos from them, but in recent years I have pretty much stopped, and I wonder how many more people have been pretty much priced out of the market too.  

Regards.

Presumably they only have a maximum of 504 of each to sell anyway. It then comes down to how long they are able and/or willing to stand the cost of carrying the stock

Ultimately, if too many people cease buying Limited Edition 47s (or anything else, for that matter) at prices that produce an adequate return on investment, KMRC (and any others) commissioning them will simply stop doing so.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

• RMweb Premium

Yes, but how many people are actually coughing up the money and buying these limited editions now-a-days. If you look at KMRC's website, there are plenty of Limited Editions from Bachmann on the shelves....

Many of which are quite recently arrived. One has to allow time for things to sell through. If Kernow has 504, 512 or whatever fits the container then they also have all of those to sell. Compared with a catalogue release which might give them 50 or 100.

How many of their commissions do you see in the bargain bin? Very few. Only the Delabole presflos currently other than some special offers to mark their 15 years in business. I think we can trust the team there to have good judgement as to what they can sell, at what price and in what quantity. Otherwise they would not be celebrating their 15th anniversary in a time of difficult trading conditions

Edited by Gwiwer
  • Like 3

Many of which are quite recently arrived. One has to allow time for things to sell through. If Kernow has 504, 512 or whatever fits the container then they also have all of those to sell. Compared with a catalogue release which might give them 50 or 100.

How many of their commissions do you see in the bargain bin? Very few. Only the Delabole presflos currently other than some special offers to mark their 15 years in business. I think we can trust the team there to have good judgement as to what they can sell, at what price and in what quantity. Otherwise they would not be celebrating their 15th anniversary in a time of difficult trading conditions

I suspect they have not shifted as many 66418 or 37672 limited editions as expected as these have been discounted (15 year celebration is a good cover) or bundled cheaper with complimentary stock.

I'm really grateful to KMC for continuing to commission limited editions, they've done some good ones but, like a lot of us I'm sure, I cannot buy them all like I previously did but now choose the few I really, really like. I'm hoping one or two others will also be discounted in the future.

• RMweb Premium

I suspect they have not shifted as many 66418 or 37672 limited editions as expected as these have been discounted (15 year celebration is a good cover) or bundled cheaper with complimentary stock.

I'm really grateful to KMC for continuing to commission limited editions, they've done some good ones but, like a lot of us I'm sure, I cannot buy them all like I previously did but now choose the few I really, really like. I'm hoping one or two others will also be discounted in the future.

I noticed yesterday that 66418 has been discounted on all three versions (standard & weathered, DCC Fitted & DCC Sound). It's a shame that this model doesn't seem to have sold as well as expected but I think it's because the livery on that particular loco is now outdated as the real 66418 now wears the Freightliner Powerhaul livery. A real shame because I suspect that if KMRC had commissioned Bachmann to produce 413, 415 or 419 all of which are still in DRS debranded blue with Freightliner locos the model might have sold better. 

Personally I am hoping to support KMRC with their OO Gauge Limited Editions in the future. I am particularly interested in 66418, 66709 and 97304. 

Although 418s livery is outdated I am hoping to buy this loco because it looks really good and represents a transition livery that the loco did wear. 

I may also consider buying two 97304 models and renumbering one to 97302. 

Yes the Limited Editions do seem a bit pricey but at the moment with price increases for RTR manufacturers this is the norm. 

As has been mentioned above it's just about prioritising what you would like to buy first/sooner. I have a list of locos that I would like to buy but their is so many that I can't afford them all so it's just about buying the ones that I really want and seeing further down the line what is still available and if I have the money to buy them. 

Credit to KMRC for commissioning Bachmann and other RTR manufacturers to produce these Limited Editions. They all look fantastic. 

Not really that much at all, if it is what the market will bear, and it is a desirable item.

It is a lot of money, but its about the cost of two tickets to watch  the Arsenal (seeing as almost everyone on here seems to compare things to Premier League football prices for some reason) or a decent dinner and a drink or two for four people in a mid level pub/restaurant,

How can a class 47 (Diamond Jubilee) sell for £65 18 months ago and now a Class 47 (granted its limited edition) cost £160? Either the model was too cheap 18 months ago (unlikely), or people are ramping up the prices now and blaming it on "China".

Put it this way, I doubt the wages of Chinese workers have doubled in the last 18 months!

Eh? Limited Editions are always priced higher than normal production and the current  (not box shifter discounted) price of an analogue Bachmann 47 is £139.95 (£149.95 weathered)

http://www.Bachmann.co.uk/prod1.php?prod_selected=branchline&prod=4

Using Bachmann's website to quote prices is a bit silly. For example, they list the Railfreight Metals Class 47 as £140 and yet I can buy it for £115 on many websites.

How can a class 47 (Diamond Jubilee) sell for £65 18 months ago and now a Class 47 (granted its limited edition) cost £160? Either the model was too cheap 18 months ago (unlikely), or people are ramping up the prices now and blaming it on "China".

Put it this way, I doubt the wages of Chinese workers have doubled in the last 18 months!

£65 wasn't the normal price though, the 'normal' full price was around the £100 mark but it was greatly discounted along with the 47834 Intercity Swallow and 47745 RES liveried examples of the same batch which seemed to have difficultly to sell. Its that which greatly surprises me with the choice of number and livery of this new one

£65 wasn't the normal price though, the 'normal' full price was around the £100 mark but it was greatly discounted along with the 47834 Intercity Swallow and 47745 RES liveried examples of the same batch which seemed to have difficultly to sell. Its that which greatly surprises me with the choice of number and livery of this new one

I bought several of the Pectinidae for £83. This was definitely not a reduction price. The £65 arguably was.

£83 to £140 in 18 months is still insane. 

I bought several of the Pectinidae for £83. This was definitely not a reduction price. The £65 arguably was.

£83 to £140 in 18 months is still insane. 

£83 is probably a catalogue price of just under £100 minus the 15% that most shops take off. Limited editions dont get that 15% taken off generally

Using Bachmann's website to quote prices is a bit silly. For example, they list the Railfreight Metals Class 47 as £140 and yet I can buy it for £115 on many websites.

Bachmann website gives the list price for their models (it was once RRP)  - the fact you can buy them cheaper at box shifters does not alter the fact that limited editions have always been priced higher than the list price.

Bachmann website gives the list price for their models (it was once RRP)  - the fact you can buy them cheaper at box shifters does not alter the fact that limited editions have always been priced higher than the list price.

I wasn't referring to a "box shifter" when I said I can find the metals 47 for £115. I also wasn't referring to one shop.

Edited by faa77

• RMweb Gold

How unusual. A thread that has descended into a moan about prices, brexit and China. Haven't seen one of those for about a week...

As has been said many times, nobody is forcing anybody to part with their money.

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge

As has been said many times, nobody is forcing anybody to part with their money.

Nobody is forcing you to read these posts either.

I'm not referring to a tiny 3% annual increase. In the last 12 years some railway modelling prices have increased by 300-400%.

Name me another product which has increased in price 300-400% since 2005? 

Edited by faa77
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I do have a interest in these models and hence this thread, not constant moaning about price.

People who constantly moan disrupt numerous threads and do the likes of Kernow a disservice as people will do what you say and stop reading the threads.

Now please take of OT discussion about prices elsewhere...

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge

I do have a interest in these models and hence this thread, not constant moaning about price.

People who constantly moan disrupt numerous threads and do the likes of Kernow a disservice as people will do what you say and stop reading the threads.

Now please take of OT discussion about prices elsewhere...

Roy

I'll stop, because I have no qualms with Kernow themselves (rather Bachmann).

Edited by faa77

• RMweb Gold

As mentioned above it's good to see Hornby doing LE models again. Of note (to me anyway) is that this is 250 models. At one time they wouldn't consider anything less than 1,000 models for a LE

As an aside I've just read in this month's Hornby mag that Hornby are also doing exclusives with NRM and Rails of Sheffield, details to be announced next month.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Is there anywhere which "consolidates" all the various limited editions being offered, including magazines etc?

There used to be a fantastic list on the old rmweb but I haven't seen one recently. I'm happy to start one of people would think useful?

I'm not referring to a tiny 3% annual increase. In the last 12 years some railway modelling prices have increased by 300-400%.

Name me another product which has increased in price 300-400% since 2005? 

Or anyone whose wages have for that matter....

• Like 2