Andrew Barclay 14" & 16" 0-4-0ST in OO Gauge

Hattons Dave

Now all the research has been done and the CAD completed, how about upscaling this to 7mm . . . . . . .  the already announced A3 and A4 are bit big for a small (in my dreams!) layout !

I'm also interested in an 0 gauge Andrew Barclay (or two). My industrial layout has got as far a baseboards. Just need a bit of time to start modelling and Industrial scene.

DaveC

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

"Burnley Council Gas Department blue"

That's about as niche as niche gets!

This one is preserved at the East Lancashire Railway, and was one of their very first locomotives.

My late father had a bunch of pictures, which I now have, of this locomotive, right up to and including its early preservation days. It was this livery at the works, shunting 16t minerals until it reached bury (and preservation) when it was painted Green with NWGB letters and No1 on the side.

He was a stalwart behind this Loco, indeed he saw it as the locomotive that did most of the ELR's firsts... first one out of the Museum onto the former BR lines, first steam to Summerseat, first to Ramsbottom and even first to Rawtenstall (I journey I was on the footplate as a kid/ unofficial passenger).

Since it's Ticket expired, it's been returned to this livery and is displayed at the Bury Transport Museum, its home of 45 years !

I (and he would have)/am been massively happy to see this produced !

I sense a few different Barclays will find a home with me, this has to be one of the most desired industrials !

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Due to the various modifications carried out by the GWR, it is not possible for us to produce 701 within our tooling suite.

With some conversion work including cab, cylinders and boiler fittings you could recreate 701.

This may bother some people, but it doesn't bother me. My model railway is just an impression of a railway: there are so many inaccuracies in a OO model, that a few more won't make any difference from my point of view.

• RMweb Gold

My late father had a bunch of pictures, which I now have, of this locomotive, right up to and including its early preservation days. It was this livery at the works, shunting 16t minerals until it reached bury (and preservation) when it was painted Green with NWGB letters and No1 on the side.

He was a stalwart behind this Loco, indeed he saw it as the locomotive that did most of the ELR's firsts... first one out of the Museum onto the former BR lines, first steam to Summerseat, first to Ramsbottom and even first to Rawtenstall (I journey I was on the footplate as a kid/ unofficial passenger).

Hi,

Thanks for the comments and I'm glad to see the Burnley Corporation Barclay suits you down to the ground. We've recognised both the locos importance in the history of the ELR alongside its industrial past which made it irresistible for us too!

We're always happy to receive new information, would it be possible to obtain copies of the images from your late fathers collection? If you can contact me via the main Hatton's email address (info@hattons.co.uk) it would be appreciated!

Cheers,

Dave

• RMweb Gold

Sure"

Hi,

Thanks for the comments and I'm glad to see the Burnley Corporation Barclay suits you down to the ground. We've recognised both the locos importance in the history of the ELR alongside its industrial past which made it irresistible for us too!

We're always happy to receive new information, would it be possible to obtain copies of the images from your late fathers collection? If you can contact me via the main Hatton's email address (info@hattons.co.uk) it would be appreciated!

Cheers,

Dave

Sure I'll have to dig thru, though my recollections of seeing them(and it) was that it was filthy and knackered !

At bury it was soon painted, and the other pictures I've got are running round the lines of the museum yard, when their used to be next to nothing in it except a semaphore signal. Then finally my own later days pictures are in the 1980's at the aforementioned ELR early "works" trains up the line.

A lot of my childhood associated to this engine, as my father spent many weeks at the museum in its early days.

Edited by adb968008

This one is preserved at the East Lancashire Railway, and was one of their very first locomotives.

That makes sense. Several of the liveries are described as "as preserved", so presumably the choice was based a lot on what is currently available to view, and also on what people are likely to have seen!

Whether a preservation livery is strictly accurate enough for those who prefer to model a historical era is open to question, but in the case of industrials it's probably close enough - less obviously anachronistic than a fictitious preserved GWR livery, for example. And, as I've said in the Peckett thread, industrials are better suited to an entirely freelance, fictitious location than mainline locos. 

• RMweb Gold

That makes sense. Several of the liveries are described as "as preserved", so presumably the choice was based a lot on what is currently available to view, and also on what people are likely to have seen!

Whether a preservation livery is strictly accurate enough for those who prefer to model a historical era is open to question, but in the case of industrials it's probably close enough - less obviously anachronistic than a fictitious preserved GWR livery, for example. And, as I've said in the Peckett thread, industrials are better suited to an entirely freelance, fictitious location than mainline locos.

I know of 4 liveries it's carried, the blue BCGB is correct for preservation (today) and historical. (I'm sure I've seen an old b+w of it like this).

It was also NWGB (green with red lining in preservation), how correct this was in service I'm not sure, but it was green without lining..

http://www.irsociety.co.uk/Archives/36/AB_1927.jpg

I recall it having a huge unpainted Andrew Barclays works plate declaring its works number as 1927 built in 1927.

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Gold

Delighted to see the production of the Andrew Barclay tank. Even if it is not as pretty as the Hornby Peckett, the prototype ran up to around a thousand examples produced over the years and with engines being passed around between different firms the scope for production is virtually limitless. As a good Scot how about one from a distillery? Nice examples ran at Balmenach and Dailuaine. In the meantime there will be an order going in for a couple of the announced range.

The two distillery examples which you referenced (both of which survive) are very much smaller 9" Barclays. I'm happy to be corrected but I don't think that any of the 14" type were ever used by the whisky industry.

Can Hattons advise if the production models will have daylight under the boiler, and if the list of detail differences between each model will be publicized at some point (both 14'' and 16''?)

For me, the physical detail differences between the liveries will be more important, as it will be receiving a full repaint. 

Paul A. 

Edited by 1whitemoor
  • Like 1

Oh no...how will I find the motivation to make my 4mm Mercian 16'' Barclay now?!

Those chunky Barclay wheels look seriously nice...

Paul A. 

I would carry on with it.

I've got a DJH version and a SEF P Class in the pile. But I will still build them eventually and probably buy one each of these.

Anyone know where I can get a Fell kit? :)

Jason

• Like 1

It seems my local prototype (John Mowlem's "Shirley") has managed to avoid matching any of Hatton's build options! In most respects, she resembles "Little Barford", but has a higher cab and chimney. I wondered whether this was an in-service modification, but her chimney is so well-proportioned that it must have been a factory fit. The cab difference appears to be due to deeper lower side-sheets, so that the whole upper 'half' of the cab sits higher, such that the small horizontal handrail approximately aligns with the to of the tank. Does this sound like a known variation?

The Nim.

I would carry on with it.

I've got a DJH version and a SEF P Class in the pile. But I will still build them eventually and probably buy one each of these.

Anyone know where I can get a Fell kit? :)

Jason

The Fell.

There was one available and you might find one on eBay. I believe it is quite challenging but can made up into a good model. A friend of mine has one which was finished and painted professionally. I have a photo somewhere and I will post it if I can find it.

I do hope that someone will produce a ready to run version in due course. There are two versions and a least two liveries to go for. I would go for final livery in BR Green with late emblem which I saw in Derby works in early 1956.

The Fell.

There was one available and you might find one on eBay. I believe it is quite challenging but can made up into a good model. A friend of mine has one which was finished and painted professionally. I have a photo somewhere and I will post it if I can find it.

I do hope that someone will produce a ready to run version in due course. There are two versions and a least two liveries to go for. I would go for final livery in BR Green with late emblem which I saw in Derby works in early 1956.

I believe Judith Edge Kits are planning one. That would do for me. I'm surprised Heljan haven't made one yet though. They seem to have made all the other "failures".

But it has become a tradition that somebody has to mention it.  :jester: 

Jason