Andrew Barclay 14" & 16" 0-4-0ST in OO Gauge

Hattons Dave

I've seen some great pictures of one shunting at CPC at Trafford Park in the 70s, so I'm really pleased that you are producing that version! Is there any chance of you also producing one as Tiny 2258 as preserved at Dinting Railway Centre in the 70s?

32007188443_b12469cbce_c.jpg

"Tiny" by Andrew Southwell, on Flickr

8493026072_8dab4a89d8_c.jpg

Steam in Trafford Park by Bob  Avery, on Flickr

27143586491_b359c1546a_c.jpg

slide-scans-April-16031-CPC-Barclay-Trafford-Park-flickr by derekphillips1, on Flickr

26650946336_1f5239fc09_c.jpg

slide-scans-April-16032-CPC-United-Kingdom-Barclay-Trafford-Park-flickr by derekphillips1, on Flickr

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

As I model todays network of modern image, class 66's and a fleet of Arriva Trains Wales sprinters, this announcement holds absolutely no interest for me whatsoever :no: .

Mike

PS. Just ordered a Caley Blue and an Ayrshire no10 for the simple reason I'm from Ayr :jester:

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I've seen some great pictures of one shunting at CPC at Trafford Park in the 70s, so I'm really pleased that you are producing that version! Is there any chance of you also producing one as Tiny 2258 as preserved at Dinting Railway Centre in the 70s?

"Tiny" by Andrew Southwell, on Flickr

Steam in Trafford Park by Bob  Avery, on Flickr

slide-scans-April-16031-CPC-Barclay-Trafford-Park-flickr by derekphillips1, on Flickr

slide-scans-April-16032-CPC-United-Kingdom-Barclay-Trafford-Park-flickr by derekphillips1, on Flickr

What's not to like about those laid back little engines?

Far out freakily good photos, by the way.

Edited by Captain Kernow

...  Now - what should I take on next?

Well, as you are asking -  I really needed the 6-coupled version (great though the announcement of the 0-4-0ST version is).  Oh, and in 7mm as well if possible.

Not too much to ask is it?

The sooner you get started (it will need scratch-building I think, in either scale), the sooner an RTR example will appear.

Thanks in advance (LOL)

Steve

• RMweb Gold

Well, as you are asking -  I really needed the 6-coupled version (great though the announcement of the 0-4-0ST version is).  Oh, and in 7mm as well if possible.

Not too much to ask is it?

The sooner you get started (it will need scratch-building I think, in either scale), the sooner an RTR example will appear.

Thanks in advance (LOL)

Steve

Hi Steve,

Having just gone through the other stuff that is queued up for building....

I find I have one of these:-

https://www.lner.info/locos/C/c15.php

It should be next in line but it's not for delivery until Feb 2018, so I think I will skip to the one following it!

That's safe as it's already been done RTR in 4mm

Ivatt 'Mucky Duck' - in EM gauge as the guy who wants it says the RTR one is too difficult to convert to EM.

Thanks

This is indeed great news for industrial railway modellers. I wonder if the poll that I started had any influence on Hattons decision to produce the Barclay? It was and still is way ahead in the poll - http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/124429-weve-never-had-it-so-good-poll-for-new-industrial-loco-models/

The only slightly negative thing I can say is that they have followed Hornby, with their Peckett, in producing all specific liveries. That's not a bad thing in itself but they should also produce some non-specific ones in either plain or lined liveries with no names or company identification.

Now which ones to order?

My recently built 16" Barclay with open cab, as per the Stewarts & Lloyds Springvale Furnaces locos.

post-494-0-11332200-1502211634.jpg

• Like 5

Quite literally just what I've always wanted - or at least as close to it as I'm likely to get.

The livery variation illustrations are helpful but a little limited in only showing them side on. I want one in sky blue with fine white lining to haul a rake of those Aberdeen Gas Works wagons Hornby released a couple of years ago.

The Caley one might do as it shouldn't be difficult to take the lettering off, paint the cylinders blue and hide the red wheels behind plasticard skirts etc., but...

Looking at the illustration it appears to be an open-backed cab, while I need a closed one with deep oval windows - like "Tiny" at the top of this page

Can anybody confirm the form of the Caley cab, and if it is open which of the others is going to be closest to my "specification" ?

Edited by Caledonian
  • Like 2

This is great news.  I built a Hornby Pug Conversion using the ARC Models Resin body a couple of years ago for NCB22 at the Bowes, but somewhere along the line I did something and fried the motor.  I haven't yet been able to source a new motor, but the EP shots of the Hattons version look far better anyways.  I suspect I'll be ordering a sister to my now dead AB 14" to run around together:

21304096818_b2eb8c212e_b.jpgARC Models Andrew Barclay Kit by Stephen Gardiner, on Flickr

Hopefully this is a great success and there are more runs of livery's and numbers down the road.

Stephen

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

I welcome the announcement of these models, having seen a number of the Barclay 'Pugs' in colliery service in Scotland in the 1970s at NCB Waterside and Frances, and preserved thereafter.

Although they shared a family resemblance there were of course many detail variations. The Speyside 'distillery' locos, Dailuaine and Balmenach, were both of the type with smaller 12x20" cylinders. Some such as the oldest survivor, Swanscombe, were 11x18"

http://www.brc-stockbook.co.uk/swan.htm

'Tiny' is I think a 12x20 loco.Now at Ingrow museum.

I agree with those who welcome Hattons' recent, well-received, appearance at the Gauge 0 Guildex, and hope that the interest shown in a 7mm scale version of these locos will lead to their production in Gauge 0 in due course!

Dava

At the risk of sounding ungrateful I still have to ask, will the final version have daylight under the boiler as Hornby managed to do with the Peckett? I understand that what has been shown is an EP and therefore not the final version. Also, will the older model with the curved cab window be available later? Looking good so far Hattons!

Cheers,

David

At the risk of sounding ungrateful I still have to ask, will the final version have daylight under the boiler as Hornby managed to do with the Peckett? I understand that what has been shown is an EP and therefore not the final version. Also, will the older model with the curved cab window be available later? Looking good so far Hattons!

Cheers,

David

After firing one dozens of times I don't think there is any daylight under the boiler. :scratchhead: 

Look how low the smokebox is compared to the running plate. 

You even have to "go under" for oiling purposes.

Jason

As I model todays network of modern image, class 66's and a fleet of Arriva Trains Wales sprinters, this announcement holds absolutely no interest for me whatsoever :no: .

Mike

PS. Just ordered a Caley Blue and an Ayrshire no10 for the simple reason I'm from Ayr :jester:

Take two aspirins, stand with your head in a bucket of lukewarm boiling water, and spread some rancid yak butter on your knees; I'm sure you'll soon recover from the bout of madness, Mike.  :jester: 

(with acknowledgement to Spike Milligan and The Goon Shows)

• Like 1

After firing one dozens of times I don't think there is any daylight under the boiler. :scratchhead:

Look how low the smokebox is compared to the running plate. 

You even have to "go under" for oiling purposes.

Jason

Thanks for that information Jason. I suppose my point is that the images appear to show a straight surface where I think it should be curved. I'd just like it to look like a boiler and not a box and the time to mention these things is now rather than when the actual model comes out. Oh, and if I'm wrong, which I may well be, then I apologise to all concerned.

Cheers,

David

I suppose my point is that the images appear to show a straight surface where I think it should be curved. I'd just like it to look like a boiler and not a box and the time to mention these things is now rather than when the actual model comes out. Oh, and if I'm wrong, which I may well be, then I apologise to all concerned.

Cheers,

David

While there doesn't appear to be any daylight on the few prototype photos I have looked at, there is a depth / darkness under the boiler at the boiler curves down and away from the side of the loco.

This appears to be missing on the model as currently shown, and if you look at the side on picture of the model you can see the small amount of boiler followed by the straight wall (for lack of a better term) is part of the metal frame of the model.

It appears that this "wall" should be recessed further in towards the centre of the model to be accurate, but currently it doesn't / can't.  Only Hattons can currently answer as to why this apparent discrepancy exists if I am correct.

It is great to see that people are supporting Hattons venture into full manufacturing. 

Now on but off topic how long will it be, once the wee beasties are released, that some one installs sound in one? 

Personally I don't need sound in every thing I own and I wont be going for the time limit... no doubt some one will manage it. 

• Like 1