SECR P Class 0-6-0T in OO Gauge from Hattons

Hattons Dave

Come on guys, the Barclay has drawn ahead with 7 pages of interest while we remain at 5. We must find additional things to say about the P class such as:

Look -- the P class also served as an Industrial, there are 2 offered.

Boy this will go well with the Dapol B4 in a harbour setting, a Barclay probably won't.

Wow... they were even used at Folkstone, imagine it helping to push the Golden Arrow - you never saw a Barclay do that....

etc.....

Erm. Eight P Class used in a tiny corner of the country, as opposed to hundreds of Andrew Barclays that were used all over the country including harbours and even lasted into the mid 1980s? I think I know the winner already.

Wasn't it R1s that were used on the Folkestone Branch though? Needing four of them until replaced by a 57XX Pannier Tank. ;)

Jason

• Like 2

Erm. Eight P Class used in a tiny corner of the country, as opposed to hundreds of Andrew Barclays that were used all over the country including harbours and even lasted into the mid 1980s? I think I know the winner already.

Wasn't it R1s that were used on the Folkestone Branch though? Needing four of them until replaced by a 57XX Pannier Tank. ;)

Jason

Indeed the R1s replaced the P class! I am seriously disappointed that an R1 never made it into preservation. All that is left is 2 boilers and 1 chassis of this magnificent class.

In any case Barclay's are bogged down in two pages of skirts. No skirts on our P!

Indeed the R1s replaced the P class! I am seriously disappointed that an R1 never made it into preservation. All that is left is 2 boilers and 1 chassis of this magnificent class.

Huh? Explain, I thought there was nothing left...

Edited by ady77014

Jason

Yes, it was R1s.  But it took more than one Pannier tank to heave the Golden Arrow up the Folkestone Tramway.  As I recall (although memory can play tricks about so long ago) the thing the Folkestone residents didn't like about the Pannier tanks was that they threw a lot more soot and sparks out of the chimney than the R1s!!

That's more than is left of Flying Scotsman.

If they have a Chassis and a boiler all it needs is wheels and a cab

Huh? Explain, I thought there was nothing left...

Both boilers and one chassis are in use on the O1 and H.

That's more than is left of Flying Scotsman.

If they have a Chassis and a boiler all it needs is wheels and a cab

But then we would loose an O1!

What the Bluebell could do is first make a spare boiler for the current 2 locos, then spare chassis parts for the O1 and gradually creep towards having enough parts to do an R1. At a certain point, the cab, side tanks and bunker will be all that is required. They could even make a Stirling chimney. The SECR had quite a high degree of standardization (the P class being rather unique in everything and it is amazing that half of them survived).

Edited by JSpencer

• RMweb Gold

Both boilers and one chassis are in use on the O1 and H.

But then we would loose an O1!

What the Bluebell could do is first make a spare boiler for the current 2 locos, then spare chassis parts for the O1 and gradually creep towards having enough parts to do an R1. At a certain point, the cab, side tanks and bunker will be all that is required. They could even make a Stirling chimney. The SECR had quite a high degree of standardization (the P class being rather unique in everything and it is amazing that half of them survived).

They need to finish the 84xxx and 32424 first ! Plus the overhaul queue is quite long :-)
  • Like 1

Under Rule 1 I can confidently announce that the East Stanley Locomotive Preservation Society is expecting a Class P in SECR livery  to join its fleet at No Place Wagon Works in County Durham sometime around the turn of the year.  This will join a Beattie well tank, a B4 0-4-0T, a 1361 and various other locos shunting No Place screens and working the vintage passenger train.

Funny what small tank locos are finding their way to County Durham.....

Les

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Under Rule 1 I can confidently announce that the East Stanley Locomotive Preservation Society is expecting a Class P in SECR livery to join its fleet at No Place Wagon Works in County Durham sometime around the turn of the year. This will join a Beattie well tank, a B4 0-4-0T, a 1361 and various other locos shunting No Place screens and working the vintage passenger train.

Funny what small tank locos are finding their way to County Durham.....

Les

Clearly some mistake here, I thought I had a water tight agreement for it to be based at Bassetts Road.

Roy

A P class loco (don't know its number) was trialled on the Hayling Island branch, but was unsuccessful, and the Terriers continued running on the branch until its closure

http://haylingbillyheritage.org/places/the-branch/the-hayling-railway-by-robin-french/

Yes, it was 31325 and it was trialled on 12 June 1957. It was temporarily allocated to Eastleigh and outstationed at Winchester to cover for the normal B4 on shunting duties. Apparently it was considered under powered for the Hayling branch compared to the Terriers and was returned to Winchester. Edited by PatC

• RMweb Gold

A558 was tried on the Lamb Regis branch whilst in the West Country having had a go on the Wenford branch. Neither occasion was deemed to be a success...

On the Lamb Regis branch the poor little chap even failed to keep time with the one coach forming the services......not good.

Rob.

Edited by nhy581

• RMweb Gold

But they did keep it there, didn't they, Rob?

They did, didn't they?

Please say yes.

May have...............

• Like 1

They would have been among the most modern shunters the LNER had if they had them. Don't forget they are the ones that built a new batch of J72s in 1951.....

Jason

Ah yes, but that was to get a batch of lighter locos for which the J50s and J94s were too heavy.....

Les

They would have been among the most modern shunters the LNER had if they had them. Don't forget they are the ones that built a new batch of J72s in 1951.....

To put things into perspective,....

J72 Class)  Tractive effort 16,760 lbs  2F

P Class)      Tractive effort 7,810lbs.    Unclassified

Terrior)       Tractive effort 10,695 lbs  0P

Even the little L&YR 'pug' 0-4-0ST had a tractive effort of 11,335 and Drummonds diminutive C14 0-4-0T (ex-steamrailmotor) had a tractive effort of 9,720lbs.  

As an aside, I suspect Wainwrights 'P' holds the record for the most feeble steam loco on record despite its 0-6-0T configuration.

Edited by coachmann

• RMweb Gold

;)

Let's hope the model is suitably realistic then and struggles to move two coaches on a Lyme (or lamb!) Regis style gradient . . . ;)

I wonder how many will complain if it's over powered :)

Edited by PaulRhB

• RMweb Gold

But they did keep it there, didn't they, Rob?

They did, didn't they?

Please say yes.

May have...............

;)

Let's hope the model is suitably realistic then and struggles to move two coaches on a Lyme (or lamb!) Regis style gradient . . . ;)

I wonder how many will complain if it's over powered :)

I am not in a position to confirm or deny whether I've asked for a P or not......to grace the Lamb Regis branch.....

Rob.

Edited by nhy581

To put things into perspective,....

J72 Class)  Tractive effort 16,760 lbs  2F

P Class)      Tractive effort 7,810lbs.    Unclassified

Terrior)       Tractive effort 10,695 lbs  0P

Even the little L&YR 'pug' 0-4-0ST had a tractive effort of 11,335 and Drummonds diminutive C14 0-4-0T (ex-steamrailmotor) had a tractive effort of 9,720lbs.  

As an aside, I suspect Wainwrights 'P' holds the record for the most feeble steam loco on record despite its 0-6-0T configuration.

It is this feebleness that made me order 6. The only way to match the power of a Merchant Navy.

It is this feebleness that made me order 6. The only way to match the power of a Merchant Navy.

Yup, I see the joke. Funnily enough, the 4mm scale 'P' just might have more haulage power than some larger models. It certainly would if it had an all-metal body casting, which seems to be the direction in which models are heading now that the innards need to be hollow for a DCC decoder and speaker. My regret is the Hattons GWR 14XX was not designed by the maker of the 'P' instead of being a full scale British cock-up in just about every department.