LNER Gresley Teak Coaches in O Gauge from Hatton's

Hattons Dave

I got my coaches yesterday.  One had a report but the reason was hard to read.  I had a quick look but couldn't see anything obviously wrong.

The other had a report saying it had glue smears on the windows.  I couldn't see anything obvious but it does have loose/broken steps.  I will have to ponder how best to fix that.

My other observation is the couplings.  (there are screw links in a separate pack) These are dropped down buckeyes which seem to have some functionality.  There is a hook but it looks pretty thick.  For me the end couplings can stay more or less as they are since they will couple to the loco using the hook.  The inside couplings may get replaced with Kadee, I have a pair of 0 gauge but looking at the buckeye, I need to check if a 00 Kadee is nearer the right size.

Wondering how others have approached the coupling question. 

John

They are going to be superb Jay.  I don't mind putting my personal touches to RTR, it makes them uniquely mine. 

At least they came out.  Dapol/Lionheart have been futzing about with their Mk1 forever it seems.  No doubt these too will be superb if we ever get them in our grubby hands. 

Darstaedt/Ellis Clarke Thompson's are going to be great too and they appear to be getting on with it.

John

1 hour ago, sidmouth said:

daft question , can I get away with a brake for a BR(W) themed branch line ........ 

Rule 1 applies in all cases.  As long as you can justify it in your own mind.  What's wrong with a Dapol B set?

John

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, brossard said:

Rule 1 applies in all cases.  As long as you can justify it in your own mind.  What's wrong with a Dapol B set?

John

I have one of those already along with an Auto Coach . A corridor brake gave an extra alternative set . I'd quite like a Collett or Stanier brake and keep looking out for one

• RMweb Premium
On 29/01/2021 at 22:34, Beclawat said:

If anyone has bought a maroon version of one of these coaches, please could you post a photo? Thanks.

Nobody seems to have answered you so here is mine which arrived yesterday.

0A57FAF5-F67E-4E6E-88C1-B819562297D5.jpeg.3003c8042a03fc0bbe3745489b6a7852.jpeg

This is a grade D and seems pretty good to me. The problems are listed as a paint blemish on the roof which I can barely see and will be hidden under weathering, a loose window (corridor side) and glue on a window (which I can’t find). A couple more corridor side windows have since fallen out. As I have bought it to repaint in teak LNER livery the easy removal of the windows is a blessing! By repainting myself, I’m hoping the paint will match my Kirk Gresleys.

The biggest omission for me is the roof rain strips above the doors. These are particularly noticeable in teak livery because they were painted to match the body colour. I will use some plasticard strip as I do on my Kirks.

Now I just have to work out how to get into it!  There are no instructions with the coach.

Andy

• Like 1

On 10/02/2021 at 00:57, thegreenhowards said:

Nobody seems to have answered you so here is mine which arrived yesterday.

0A57FAF5-F67E-4E6E-88C1-B819562297D5.jpeg.3003c8042a03fc0bbe3745489b6a7852.jpeg

This is a grade D and seems pretty good to me. The problems are listed as a paint blemish on the roof which I can barely see and will be hidden under weathering, a loose window (corridor side) and glue on a window (which I can’t find). A couple more corridor side windows have since fallen out. As I have bought it to repaint in teak LNER livery the easy removal of the windows is a blessing! By repainting myself, I’m hoping the paint will match my Kirk Gresleys.

The biggest omission for me is the roof rain strips above the doors. These are particularly noticeable in teak livery because they were painted to match the body colour. I will use some plasticard strip as I do on my Kirks.

Now I just have to work out how to get into it!  There are no instructions with the coach.

Andy

Thanks very much for taking the time to post that Andy. The photos of these coaches on Hatton's site almost look more pink than maroon, so I was interested to see another pic of them. The colour of your example looks more realistic.

Cheers

• 1 month later...

I worked up the energy today to have a look at the couplings.  I fail to see how these can work as fitted.

My plan is to improve the drop down buckeyes and fit a pair of Kadees between the coaches.

First the drop downs:

The couplings fitted are easy to remove, using a split pin and washer to secure.  The plastic hook doesn't appeal to me:

1)  It is plastic

2)  It is thick and it may be difficult to get links over it.

I replaced the plastic hooks with brass ones from my scrap box:

P1010023.JPG.3864414e4d289a4183e31362f842c15e.JPG

You'll note there are 4 sets.  Two for the Gresleys and two for the Mk1s that I just got.

When I fit the Kadees I will report.

John

I've been working on Kadees.

P1010024.JPG.258760840ee7dad912b3d7a6de66d857.JPG

Prep included gluing on some 1mm card to bring things flush to the coach floor.  I glued in (with CA) some 8BA screws.  These go into the floor and provide shear resistance.

P1010025.JPG.5076bb60feb2621c078b62315d1bc4a1.JPG

Kadees installed.  Looks like I have some cleanup to do.  I removed the trip pin.  It is redundant since the couplers are in the buffer beam.  I wouldn't use it anyway since I have an aversion to uncoupling magnets.  BTW these 0 gauge Kadees are so much more refined than the 00.  Nice stiff spring for one thing.

John

Having had a chance to compare these with the Lionheart/Dapol Mk1's the lack of interior lighting is very noticeable :ireful:.  I'm wondering if anyone is contemplating adding a light bar.  If so I'd like to know where to go and what other bits and bobs are needed.

John

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, brossard said:

Having had a chance to compare these with the Lionheart/Dapol Mk1's the lack of interior lighting is very noticeable :ireful:.  I'm wondering if anyone is contemplating adding a light bar.  If so I'd like to know where to go and what other bits and bobs are needed.

John

You could try these 

https://www.gaugemasterretail.com/magento/Heljan-hn19853500.html

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

More tinkering today.

First, trying to couple a loco to the coach yesterday proved impossible.  Problem was there was no space twixt the hook and body.  I redid the couplings by adding a plastic tube shim to push them out.

P1010032.JPG.7d419eac39d7f17af2594d7462dd4c7c.JPG

You can just make out the white thing behind the hook.  Coupling is still a fiddle but doable now.

The other discovery I had was that the rigid plastic gangways leave daylight between coaches.  I had a pair of flexible folded paper gangways.  I used my Dremel cutting wheel to remove the gangway frames and glued those to the new gangways.

P1010033.JPG.d2635b2d478dec3d95e346954e4907c0.JPG

Note the Kadee coming out of the buffer beam.  BTW the picture above, March 22, is incorrect.  The Kadee should be out further to clear the gangway.

Coaches now have no daylight:

P1010031.JPG.25b2bed2f11b20bebc2c1c44a04ee8ff.JPG

I think I'm happy with couplings now.

I have given them a test run and everything works acceptably.

John

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

So, looking at my coaches today, I was wondering how to get inside.  It is not obvious that the roof is separate or whether the roof and body are one moulding.  No instructions in the box (Lionheart provide a nice comprehensive manual for their Mk1's, so Heljan take note).

John

I was able to answer my question by Googling it.  Found a good article by Mike Wild:

https://www.keymodelworld.com/article/hattons-gresley-coaches-debut-o-gauge

I got the roof off by inserting a sharp knife between the top of the body and roof.  It is clipped in and relatively easy to get off:

P1010036.JPG.73f35c9f85b31670eb4279d2648da701.JPG

P1010037.JPG.f627a01b54a0d595239a7ae1235d0a59.JPG

Iaw with Sod's law I managed to push out a window.  Mike W mentions this.

Maybe unfair but I find myself continually comparing these to the Lionheart Mk1s.  These have no luggage racks, seats are plain while Mk1s have a moquette and the compartment interior walls don't have any painted on detail.

John

• RMweb Premium
On 03/04/2021 at 15:42, brossard said:

I was able to answer my question by Googling it.

Its actually mentioned on here a few posts up but you got there before I noticed!

I suspect the mk1s will have a wider reach so they can afford to put a few extras in. A commission such as these are bound to be more expensive to produce, relatively, and they've taken some short cuts to keep them competitive.

Edited by Hal Nail

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi everyone,

H7-TC115-001_202106091437_3252055_Qty1_1.jpg.33519290edc5051ad1aacbf55d8456fb.jpgH7-TC175-001_202106091509_3252043_Qty1_1.png.e458b7fed02738fffaf62ae3f5d007d2.png

I'm pleased to let you know that the LNER Teak liveried variants of our Gresley coaches have now arrived into stock. These are all priced at £179 each and are not subject to the grading system (as per our BR liveried models). 

You can view the full range, HERE

Regards,
Dave

• Informative/Useful 1