Jam sponge works - FINISHED

col_kilgore

Very nice work, as others have said the colouring is superb.

Martyn.

Thank you , although like I said previously I think a lot of it is down to lighting.

The next few shots are under the full glare of my kitchens big flourescent light which I think gives a bit too much contrast .

Anyway I have painted up the tanks and bedded them down , just need to blend the ground back in when dry .

I'm still not entirely convinced by them to be honest but I will wait to see when its all dry and the groundwork is blended to see how they look.

post-24972-0-21482900-1510861009_thumb.jpg

post-24972-0-84454700-1510861018_thumb.jpg

post-24972-0-38090200-1510861028_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

That industrial nightmare, H&S, rears it's ugly head.... If those tanks contain a liquid there should be a Bund Wall to contain any spills or leaks. About the same height as the wall of your building for modelling purposes (there are complicated regulations for the real thing !). Powder containers may not require a Bund Wall. The tanks would also have H&S notices and possibly an indication of contents and/or supplier of the stored material. I have only experience of storage tanks for liquid Propane, Oxygen and Nitrogen. I'm now retired,  so can't be more helpful (if that's what this post is! .... Sorry to muddy the waters of a very promising "cake box".) there must be someone who works where there is a small tank who could supply a generic photo ?

That industrial nightmare, H&S, rears it's ugly head.... If those tanks contain a liquid there should be a Bund Wall to contain any spills or leaks. About the same height as the wall of your building for modelling purposes (there are complicated regulations for the real thing !). Powder containers may not require a Bund Wall. The tanks would also have H&S notices and possibly an indication of contents and/or supplier of the stored material. I have only experience of storage tanks for liquid Propane, Oxygen and Nitrogen. I'm now retired,  so can't be more helpful (if that's what this post is! .... Sorry to muddy the waters of a very promising "cake box".) there must be someone who works where there is a small tank who could supply a generic photo ?

It is something I thought about and will look at when I get round to it thanks for the advice , sorry to be so curt but I have a serious case of man flu and been in bed for the past two days

A bund may not be necessary if the site is isolated from the drainage system, I used to work on a chemical site where this was the case. There could be underground containment to protect against spills contaminating the environment.

You could also have a some sort of gauge or other indicator showing how full it is, either a analogue needle on a scale (like a petrol gauge in a car) or a lcd display showing the contents in litres or kgs etc. We used both.

Martin

" All this new fangled health and safety , why if old Mr Grimsdale were still alive he'd be turning in his grave to see what they had done to the old place "

post-24972-0-17382900-1511346745_thumb.jpg

After the advice earlier this is what I came up with for a safety sign , I made it up using an online photo editor and some H&S sign pics from google images and just printed it out.

I think the hazchem symbol is for compressed gases so they are now gas tanks !

I took it outside this morning as well to see what it looks like under daylight ( well almost daylight as its blowing a gale and grey in Derby this morning ! )

post-24972-0-17577000-1511348607_thumb.jpg

post-24972-0-45697000-1511346749_thumb.jpg

Edited by col_kilgore
  • Like 9

Right after the 100th time of looking at it , I felt it needed something a bit more secure for the storage tanks.

So after a quick trip out to Ilkeston yesterday to visit the model shop to pick up a pack of Knightwing security fencing and some ballast I ended up with this.

I think it looks a lot better for having the fencing  and I think that t the tanks are finished now and I can get on with the track.

Signs were made as before in an online photo editor and printed out .

Cheers for looking .

post-24972-0-04493800-1511518462_thumb.jpg

post-24972-0-22291000-1511518467_thumb.jpg

post-24972-0-00052800-1511518471_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

Finally got round to ballasting the track last night, Woodland Scenics fine grey was used for the ballast and the track was painted with Railmatch sleeper grime before ballasting .

As you can see I have been experimenting with a semi relief wagon and  at the minute its still just plonked on just to give an idea .

The wagon is just a Hornby  tank wagon chopped down but I plan to fit white metal buffers and a screwlink and see can I have a go at modelling some of the  brake rigging detail and hopefully once painted up and set in the scene it will work visually .

post-24972-0-22167400-1511762368_thumb.jpg

post-24972-0-45187600-1511762373_thumb.jpg

post-24972-0-91013900-1511762378_thumb.jpg

post-24972-0-94077000-1511762383_thumb.jpg

• Like 13

Been working on the wagon underframe today.

So starting with the basic Hornby chassis I removed most of the underframe detail and started by replacing the brake blocks with some spare ones from an old Dapol kit and put them inline with the wheels.

I replaced the buffers with whitemetal ones from Lanarkshire models , the screwlink is a spare from a Hornby parts pack and the air pipe is from a Dapol silver bullet.

The rest of the rigging is made from brass wire and plastic strip , I'm not an expert on underframe construction and what goes where and does what so I just aimed for something that looks like whats under there rather than a scale representation and tried to copy what I could see from pictures.

All in all I'm happy with it , certainly looks less " toylike" and was a lot cheaper than cutting up a Bachmann one !

Just need to sort out the tank body now , cheers for looking.

post-24972-0-78853500-1511968904_thumb.jpg

post-24972-0-02966800-1511968908_thumb.jpg

post-24972-0-81813100-1511968910_thumb.jpg

post-24972-0-24382900-1511968916_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

If it's a jam sponge / cake works, how about a United Molasses livery/logo on the half a tanker? Nearly the right kind of product, and nearly the right kind of tanker.

Or as it's half a tanker, 

"United M"

and leave the viewer guessing

• Like 1

If it's a jam sponge / cake works, how about a United Molasses livery/logo on the half a tanker? Nearly the right kind of product, and nearly the right kind of tanker.

Or as it's half a tanker, 

"United M"

and leave the viewer guessing

Hhhhmmm not too sure what livery it will have to be honest , probably a generic grey , that way I dont have to be specific !

Right ,  I think I have finally got to the point where I'm finished with this one .

In the end I decided not to go with the semi relief tanker , although its something I may use in future .

The only other thing I may add is a coupe of figures just to add a bit of life to the scene ( just need to find something suitable and practice my figure painting ! )

Anyway here is my first finished entry ( I have already started planning my second one ! )

Thanks for all the follows and comments , advice etc and thanks for looking .

post-24972-0-88323600-1512476243_thumb.jpg

post-24972-0-20644200-1512476248_thumb.jpg

post-24972-0-82693400-1512476256_thumb.jpg

post-24972-0-32803100-1512476261_thumb.jpg

post-24972-0-21227600-1512476266_thumb.jpg

• Like 13