Long Walk Home

KNP

This my entry into the Cakebox Challenge and will follow different ideas to most of those already posted.

I think the best way is to list what wont be in it -

Railway track

Locomotives

Rolling stock

Railway or industrial buildings of any sort

Any form of permanent way

Lineside paraphernalia

to name a few items off the top of my head

but there will be of course 2 railway related items set in a non-railway setting

Used in it's construction will be -  

Sagebrush

Seamoss

Horsehair

Static grass

Plumbers hemp 

Vast array of scenic materials

Gate

Figure

The base is underway and drying as I type, so to get the ball rolling here is one of the railway related items finished this very afternoon.

post-8925-0-74380000-1508696464_thumb.jpg

One other important issue to point out is that most of what I will be building will be, after the challenge, transferred onto my layout Little Muddle for permanent inclusion.

Edited by KNP
  • Like 16

• RMweb Gold

I also thought about a farm-based scene, with a couple of ex-railway vans buried under foilage. I took some photos a few years ago of exactly that same scene - sadly the vans gave now gone, replaced by a new housing estate.

I've no doubt yours will be superb.

I also thought about a farm-based scene, with a couple of ex-railway vans buried under foilage. I took some photos a few years ago of exactly that same scene - sadly the vans gave now gone, replaced by a new housing estate.

I've no doubt yours will be superb.

I had quite a few ideas, not all of them scenery based so I suspect that I might even enter another model or two depending how I get on with this one.

Trees, will be next on the list as they will take time to do, mind you we have a year to go.

Thanks for the comment, hopefully it will come out as I am visualising it.

The base taking shape, as it's a cakebox challenge I thought I would build the scenery base up in icing sugar.......!!!!

post-8925-0-58181400-1508785983_thumb.jpg

Well Polyfilla actually which might go some way in explaining why my cakes taste odd?

Edited by KNP
  • Like 1

Whilst the base is drying overnight time to look at the most visable part of my challenge.

The Trees

Those of you that follow my layout topic will know what a fan I am of the sagebrush armatures which are a natural bush found in the United States.

There shape and colour is ideal to mimic most of the trees found in the UK.

As the following pictures show they are very realistic and these are straight out of the bag with no work done to them.

post-8925-0-51361300-1508787385_thumb.jpg

post-8925-0-38618400-1508787393_thumb.jpg

The next stage takes the time which is fixing Seamoss sprigs to the branches so it will be a while before there will be an end result.

• Like 3

Rob

This is where I got mine from but the prices do seem to have gone up considerably

http://modeltreestore.com/

There are other suppliers that do them, off hand I can't remember them as the above site was the one I went for but no doubt a search of the web will find some more.

Don't faint at the cost........especially went delivery/import duties (if applicable) is added on.

All mine where 5 - 7 inches in height, easy to cut and alter if necessary 

I really like the trees, hadn't heard of sagebrush before. 

Nor had I until I saw County Gate by John de Frayssinet at an exhibition and his excellent use of scenery which contained a model railway layout.

Using his website on the layout and then the book, Scenic Modelling, that came out later I was away with altering the way I represented trees.

Tweaking it slightly to suit my needs I was able to produce this effect

post-8925-0-51710700-1508825209_thumb.jpg

post-8925-0-20405600-1508825725_thumb.jpg

post-8925-0-61473100-1508825870_thumb.jpg

Before then I had been using Seamoss but this changed to the sagebrush type, which I call my prime trees, which stand in prime locations or in front of the Seamoss ones.

What I like about them is that you can see through them along with a very realistic bark effect

Time consuming - yes each tree can take between 4 -6 hours to build depending on size but the end result is well worth the effort.

• Like 13

They are very lifelike, as is the rest of your layout. I had a quick google of sagebrush to see if I could grow some up the allotment, but it seems to like an arid climate. I've started reading your layout thread now so that should keep me busy for a few days.

Thanks.

It's been mentioned a few times before but I always reply that this my hobby which I enjoy doing so if I started selling them then it becomes like a job and I suspect, I can only speak personally here of course, I would start to loose interest after a while.

They took me approx. 5hrs to do the pair, so the process is slow and I find my eyes get tired after concentrating for that long so the others I need can wait for a day or two before I start them.

The other issue is the accelerant I use for the gel super glue, it is very pungent and though I wear a mask being in the forth bedroom it does stink the house out if I work on them for to long.

Comments are made and even air fresheners never seem to get rid of the odour fully!! 

Anyway I had to stop because I realised that the new series of Walking Dead had started so I've just finished watching episode 1 before I dived on her to post the pictures.......priorities you know!!!!

How's your one coming along, sorted your ghost signs yet?

Edited by KNP
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I'm still really working on the lower level, apart from the odd bit of painting on the warehouse doors, so haven't really got as far as the ghost sign.  I also need to use the pc at home, as although I've got Illustrator here at work, the plug in needed to convert the .ai files to Silhouette compatible ones is £40.

Next stage is to get the bridge completed and then add the upper ground level.

• RMweb Gold

Rob

This is where I got mine from but the prices do seem to have gone up considerably

http://modeltreestore.com/

There are other suppliers that do them, off hand I can't remember them as the above site was the one I went for but no doubt a search of the web will find some more.

Don't faint at the cost........especially went delivery/import duties (if applicable) is added on.

All mine where 5 - 7 inches in height, easy to cut and alter if necessary 

It would be cheaper to buy these in bulk and spread the costs between modellers if anyone is interested. I'm prepared to be the port of call for them. PM if interested.

Bit more progress.

Lane has been coloured with washes.

Field entrance needs a lot more work

Static grass applied - three tones used, randomly mixed to give colour variation, glue still wet hence white areas.

This is the first pass as there will be other scenic touches needed to further enhance.

post-8925-0-85882200-1509284579_thumb.jpg

post-8925-0-72176300-1509284590_thumb.jpg

Now I have to leave it to dry otherwise being a small size there are no other areas you can work on without effecting wet areas......

Still might get on with the gate, still more trees to do but I fancied getting on with something else.

The brown area will be the cornfield but that will be left to the very last thing as I don't want any overspills spoiling it.

• Like 15

Well prior to the arrival of the postman with my new Dapol Railcar I was getting on well with the challenge.

Another tree made and finished, one more planned and then fit them on board to see if it gives me the look I am after.

Then I had just finished building the gate that leads into the field.

post-8925-0-68165600-1509382593_thumb.jpg

All built from plastic micro strip, feet will be trimmed back, I leave them on to aid holding when painting -  it fact I had just taken this picture when the doorbell went and that was that for the day......

Edited by KNP
  • Like 7

Well whilst out walking my non existent dog the morning I came across in the mist a secret location, heavily guarded and patrolled.

It appeared to be a nearing completion Cakebox Challenge so I quickly fired off a quick snap and made a hasty retreat.

post-8925-0-29313100-1509537708_thumb.jpg

I am halfway through the last tree when I realised the accelerator spray I use for the super glue gel had run out and all I was getting was air - that explained why I was having trouble getting the Seamoss sprigs to stick quickly.

More on order so work has now diverted to the hedge and fence....

Edited by KNP
  • Like 8

Anyway after my escapades of this morning I tried to get around the other side only to find my way blocked by a gate. Couldn't move it as in was held in place with a large stone.

I then heard someone walking down the lane so I give up, but I will get around the other side.....one day.

Pictures are a bit off colour as I was taking the picture towards the setting sun and shadows were starting to form.

post-8925-0-76338600-1509567301_thumb.jpg

Waiting for a few bits and pieces to arrive, one of them being barbed wire!!!

Edited by KNP
  • Like 11