Peco Bullhead Points: in the flesh

AJ427

I find it interesting that Peco has manufactured 'O' gauge bullhead track for years, for what is presumably a much smaller market, so perhaps the wonder is that it has taken this long to produce it in 4mm scale?

Either way, the ready availability of quality bullhead track and ready-made bullhead points will probably do more than any other single product in recent times to improve the standard of 4mm layouts portraying British layout themes.

That is an interesting point.

Is it because there was no cheaper, foreign alternative for O, like HO is to OO which looked 'close enough', leaving a more obvious & therefore less risky hole in the market?

I agree that this track will go a long way to improving the standard of track on British layouts. The new OO range does cost more than the older HO though. I wonder how many will be put off by the cost?

There is a Father Christmas....... Two Peco bullhead points arrived out of the blue this morning. Armchair pundits can carry on; These points will do me and they can be curved without cutting webs so long as they are pinned down until the glue dries....

post-6680-0-89724200-1510233878_thumb.jpg

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

There is a Father Christmas....... Two Peco bullhead points arrived out of the blue this morning. Armchair pundits can carry on; These points will do me and they can be curved without cutting webs so long as they are pinned down until the glue dries....

attachicon.gifWEB Peco bullhead.jpg

So are these to be used on Carrog, Coach?

• RMweb Gold

Totally agree with you Coachman, they are indeed a very flexible point; having played around with one of mine I can see that with a bit of gentle persuasion you can turn one into a Y-point without cutting any of the links. Thank you PECO!

all the best

Godfrey

So are these to be used on Carrog, Coach?

They are now. I had intended using Code 75 points with surface-mounted motors for remodeling due at Carrog, in fact the motors were bought only yesterday. Then a very good friend sent a surprise package with two bullhead points today and the future spread out before my eyes!

• RMweb Premium

Ouch!  Too much information....   :jester:

Yes, I am sorry Coach but I was getting a bit annoyed with the  Devon Bashing and was trying to get the thread locked. However, the Management have been kind and dealt with the matter in a sensible way and I have not (yet) been banned.

CK, I think the limited production will be the testing of the waters. My thinking is also that this will not be just a one off batch and after my thoughtful email this morning to the Peco HQ I fully expect an eruption of further products from the Devon facility. I'd go in there ASAP if I were you and test the cafe then buy all the rest of this batch.

All the best

Phil

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 1

Yes, I am sorry Coach but I was getting a bit annoyed with the  Devon Bashing and was trying to get the thread locked. However, the Management have been kind and dealt with the matter in a sensible way and I have not (yet) been banned.

CK, I think the limited production will be the testing of the waters. My thinking is also that this will not be just a one off batch and after my thoughtful email this morning to the Peco HQ I fully expect an eruption of further products from the Devon facility. I'd go in there ASAP if I were you and test the cafe then buy all the rest of this batch.

All the best

Phil

Hell, you gave me a good laugh Phil. I wasn't complaining haha...

Edited by coachmann

• RMweb Gold

I had the opportunity to look at the new bullhead points in The Model Shop in Exeter today and they look very good to me.

The change in sleeper spacing compared to the standard HO/OO code75/code100 pattern struck me immediately. I think it's much more apparent when you see them in the flesh than in photos.

As has been said above, I think bullhead track will make a big difference to British 4mm layouts and I'm looking forward to the release of more variants.

• Like 3

One question - should folk be hurrying out to purchase their new points, in terms of them being 'limited production', or should these be items that one could reasonably expect to pick up any time in a model shop in the future?

I think the first run will be limited production.

If there is demand, then I am sure more will be made.

A few posts ago there were some comments regarding the slide chairs and the blocks fitted.  Here are some pictures of blocks on a bullhead turnout..

post-2484-0-90664300-1510245771_thumb.jpg

post-2484-0-50091800-1510245775_thumb.jpg

post-2484-0-02452900-1510245780_thumb.jpg

Here is the Toe end of one of the switches showing how it stops at the end of the slide chair, ensuring support for the thinner end of the switch.  Note the base plate and it's insulated joint to allow track circuits to function...

post-2484-0-35244700-1510245765_thumb.jpg

Finally the Z bar that stops the switch rail moving fore and aft.  Flat bottom has a block bolted between the stock and switch rails.

post-2484-0-58703600-1510245998_thumb.jpg

Historically I had an involvement in laying track work at the Botley end of the workshops at Eastleigh.  The point work was purchased as a kit of second hand parts.  I did not realise there were regional variations in how the chairs were laid out....  Just like when planning a model railway it was difficult to fit all the point work in and we ended up with the equivalent of a radius 2 curve at one point

Edited by The Bigbee Line
  • Like 1

The large radius are a bit too large but I shall be over any medium  radius releases like a rash .

One of my friends made a similar comment to me on the phone yesterday.

He was taking to a Peco rep recently. He explained their choice of long radius as the most likely choice for someone who would want something more accurate like a bullhead point, so this is the market they will target first.

• Like 3

Well if it's good enough for you Larry it's good enough for me.... If I can get my track work any where near to yours on Carrog I'll be a very happy man.......good these forums aren't they as you can get other people to test the product before risking any hard earned cash :jester:

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi Folks,

What is the approximate radius of the 'large' turnout?

Just roughing out (rough? more like 40 grit) a new layout over here, and I'm looking over the Peco website, without too much success.

Many thanks,

Ian.

PS. Slightly off topic. Many years ago, I had a works T-shirt, labelled 'extra, extra medium'.

• RMweb Gold

These points will do me and they can be curved without cutting webs so long as they are pinned down until the glue dries....

Totally agree with you Coachman, they are indeed a very flexible point; having played around with one of mine I can see that with a bit of gentle persuasion you can turn one into a Y-point without cutting any of the links. Thank you PECO!

Any chance of a pic of one that's been curved?

Edited by 57xx