Dapol Announced an O Gauge GWR 45XX 2-6-2?

MGR Hooper!

• RMweb Premium

Yes I think they have, initially it was going to be the original Lionheart brass body on a new die cast chassis.

Now it’s a die cast body as well so I asssume this is a whole new set of tooling.

I did read, or hear, somewhere that the side tanks were originally die cast so it’s not quite Grandpa’s axe! Interesting that it is obviously cheaper to effectively start again and I assume reflects the rising costs of overseas brass production. Masterpiece have had to put their prices up significantly.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I see that Dapol had what I assume is an EP of the 45xx on their stand at Doncaster.

But I also see in the GoG May Gazette a Lionheart ad saying that the 45xx will be "only available direct from Lionheart", which is puzzling given that numerous retailers are advertising it.

Can anyone shed any light on this?  

• RMweb Premium

I see that Dapol had what I assume is an EP of the 45xx on their stand at Doncaster.

But I also see in the GoG May Gazette a Lionheart ad saying that the 45xx will be "only available direct from Lionheart", which is puzzling given that numerous retailers are advertising it.

Can anyone shed any light on this?  

The Lionheart leaflet I picked up at Ally Pally a while back said available through good models shops and Tower have the latest photos up now.

Edited by Hal Nail

Thanks Alan. I've re-read the ad and as you say it refers to an additional version exclusive to Lionheart's upcoming website - number 4549 in 1920s condition with porthole windows, no sliding cab shutters, copper chimney and brass safety valve casing,

The previously announced "Great Western" lettered version numbered 4555 differs from the new version in these details, so would that make it a 1930s-only version?

Incidentally Tower Models are reporting a slight delay on this project with delivery now due in Autumn 2018.

Edited by dpgibbons

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Alan. I've re-read the ad and as you say it refers to an additional version exclusive to Lionheart's upcoming website - number 4549 in 1920s condition with porthole windows, no sliding cab shutters, copper chimney and brass safety valve casing,

The previously announced "Great Western" lettered version numbered 4555 differs from the new version in these details, so would that make it a 1930s-only version?

Incidentally Tower Models are reporting a slight delay on this project with delivery now due in Autumn 2018.

Is this advert somewhere on Dapol's website that I could see?

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

The Dapol version is the lion heart version.

I think that GNR Dave might be referring to the Lionheart version that is only available direct from them 4549 in 1920s livery?

Yes they are all produced by Dapol under the Lionheart branding

• 2 weeks later...

Lionheart's website reports that the EP of their exclusive 1920s version has arrived. 

As a website exclusive it will not attract the usual 15% retail discount at which the Dapol versions will be available. So can anyone clarify please whether the already announced Dapol version in "Great Western" lettering would also be correct for the 1920s? 

Lionheart's website reports that the EP of their exclusive 1920s version has arrived. 

As a website exclusive it will not attract the usual 15% retail discount at which the Dapol versions will be available. So can anyone clarify please whether the already announced Dapol version in "Great Western" lettering would also be correct for the 1920s? 

Not really 1920s.  Common 1920s features - tall safety valve bonnet, tall vacuum pipe stand, porthole windows in cab, no cab side sliding shutters. Bunkers not extended or not including full packing. i don't think the Dapol version has those features. But the Lionheart one apparently does.

Regards,

Craig W

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the Lionheart exclusive version is only available with DCC sound. If this is the case, it will be at a considerable price disadvantage over the DCC ready versions from Dapol.

As has been noted above, it is available in DCC and non DCC form.

More importantly, it is the only one being done in 1920s condition so if that is what you really want....

I must admit, the Lionheart one is terribly distracting for me.

Craig W

• 5 weeks later...

The O gauge Dapol phantom 45XX has now disappeared from its website completely - whether in the Shop section or the fairy Product Development area.  Hard to escape the feeling that this company sets out to baffle its customers.  Anybody out there with any facts on this subject?