Building North Eastern Railway Signals

'and to totaly confuse the issuie, her is a (poor) photograph of a NERly upper quadrant signal, and of which the railway had more then one.

attachicon.gifCopy of NERly UQ Signal.jpg

I like that photograph but these 'experimental' upper quadrants might not 'catch on' or is that 'catch off'?

Can't see where I can use that on Hessle Haven!!

Cheers

Mike

Edited by mikemeg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Well we've posted a few photos of the real thing and Mick has posted some photos of his signal models, so perhaps time to resume work on the last of the larger signal models for Hessle Haven, in between building the locomotives of the North Eastern, featured on another thread, elsewhere.

This signal bridge stood around half a mile east of Hessle Haven, towards Hull, and was in this condition (I mean lower quadrants; not unfinished as the model is) until the early 1950's, after which it was re-equipped with upper quadrants on the same wooden dolls.

As ever, with the models of these McKenzie & Holland brackets and signal bridges, the lattice bridge is scratch built using 1.0 mm brass 'L' angle and 0.8 mm x .005" nickel silver strip. The whole thing is made and assembled in a purpose built, 3-dimensonal jig, made from multiple layers of cardboard (cornflake packet card glued with PVA) and variously painted black to help locate the various pieces, and to hide the inevitable burning as the lattice girders are soldered together. This jig is made solely for this bridge.

The lattice posts are an MSE product with each corner 'wrapped' in brass 0.8 mm 'L'angle, both to strengthen the post and to improve the appearance.

The dolls are all made from .030" plasticard, laminated and then 'fortified' with a 0.8 mm brass rod, hidden inside the doll, to prevent (or at least to attempt to prevent) any deformation of the doll through warping or twisting.

I have to confess to a certain liking for the signal installations of the old North Eastern, with their slotted posts, lower quadrant wooden arms and those amazing lattice creations from McKenzie & Holland; at one time, the largest manufacturer of signalling equipment in the world!

So now to re-fit the North Eastern lamps, complete the handrail on the bridge deck and then to make the upper landings, ladders and the linkage to drive the arms.

Cheers

Mike

post-3150-0-59812200-1519127410_thumb.jpg

post-3150-0-11173300-1519129889_thumb.jpg

Edited by mikemeg
  • Like 7

I made this one well over twenty years ago, the post is filed from brass bar plus the usual mix of D&S etches and Home Brew. The signal is Botanic Gardens (Hull NERly) Outer Home with lower Calling On arm. The "CO" is not for "Permisive Working" but to admit a train into the Up Platform with the gates across the railway. Photo' Tony Buckton.

post-702-0-93954100-1519334777_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I have just stumbled in this thread by chance. Goodness, what a fascinating source of information! And what wonderful models, Mike and Yardman - amazing. You have much more patience than I for signal making! And wonderful photographs too!

What more could one ask, other than to hope this thread continues to be added to!

John Storey

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Not all that it appears? Clearly it's carrying signals for the main and relief/goods lines, as is the more modern signal behind the Type 4. I don't think we're actually expecting a train on every line. Is the box switched out? (If so, why has the window been left open?)

Do tell!

EDIT: I meant to remark on the wooden posts bracing the bracket from either side.

Edited by Compound2632

• RMweb Gold

Another intersting "Iron Signal" and one obviously "Cut Back".

attachicon.gifCliff House July1976.jpg

Hi Mick

Sorry to go off topic is this Cliff house ? I didn't realise north works was as close to the railway as this. Do you know when it was taken and if the blast furnace was still in use

Cheers

Hi Mick

Sorry to go off topic is this Cliff house ? I didn't realise north works was as close to the railway as this. Do you know when it was taken and if the blast furnace was still in use

Cheers

Russ, I'm not familiar with "Up North", and regretfully I can't help.

• Like 1