Building North Eastern Railway Signals

43 minutes ago, RBAGE said:

This seems to be just the place I need to be at this very moment in time.

I started to build this signal some time ago based on an image posted by MickNich in April 2018.

P1050697.JPG.4a2de12ee98ffb8ccde3cdd88d1afe37.JPG

The signal was further completed up to the point where I had to make things move. Then stopped. My limitations.

I am now in the process of partial dismantle in the hope of making it easier to get it operational.

I have no photographs of the original signal, only the sketch from a signalling diagram.

1370982630_Junction(2).jpg.4cd9bf9ec3db7c174d0dc7a2219e9781.jpg

You can see that the post carrying signal 33 is a continuation of one of the main posts. Whereas, the my signal copies the April 2018 posted image.

Is this significant? Does the signal diagram drawing reflect the construction of the signal or is it just a representation to show the signal arrangement?

I have no problems in starting from scratch and to have the signal post in line would make operation easier, straight down the post, for that signal anyway.

So, the signal is controlled by the Newton Hall Junction box (just north of Durham). If anyone has any information on this signal or the two gantries at the junction, I would be grateful for any help or information.

Thanks,

Bob

That's a nice job there, Bob.

I believe that signals shown on signal box diagrams are/were likely to be representations, rather than detailed replications of what is/was there; however, I think that what would be significant is relative heights of signal arms to each other. That would mean that the left hand signals on your model, being for the Up Slow, should be slightly lower than the right hand doll, which is for the Up Fast?

as you suggest, though, photographic evidence would confirm this.

Cheers

Mark

30 minutes ago, MarkC said:

That's a nice job there, Bob.

I believe that signals shown on signal box diagrams are/were likely to be representations, rather than detailed replications of what is/was there; however, I think that what would be significant is relative heights of signal arms to each other. That would mean that the left hand signals on your model, being for the Up Slow, should be slightly lower than the right hand doll, which is for the Up Fast?

as you suggest, though, photographic evidence would confirm this.

Cheers

Mark

Hello Mark,

Thanks for your comments. However, tis no more. I'm busy dismantling it as I type. Well, not at the same time. One finger typing and simultaneous desoldering not recommended.

You are, of course, correct about the relative heights. Something that will be corrected in Mark, too. Sorry, I mean Mk2.

All the best,

Bob

Edited by RBAGE
Punctuation.
  • Friendly/supportive 1

12 minutes ago, micknich2003 said:

Do you have a copy of North Eastern Rly Signals published by the NERly Assoc? A very worthwhile publication, full details on their website, you don't need to be a member to buy.

Thanks Mick,

I'll have a look.

Bob

4 hours ago, micknich2003 said:

Do you have a copy of North Eastern Rly Signals published by the NERly Assoc? A very worthwhile publication, full details on their website, you don't need to be a member to buy.

Mick,

Book ordered. Thanks.

I saw your book on Amazon at £89. 

Bob

29 minutes ago, MarkC said:

I've already sent Bob this link, which was kindly posted after I asked the question in a FB Group, but others may be interested in what it shows - the Up Starters, as discussed earlier.

That and some fascinating lineside details :sungum:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/46719559@N04/8236107476/in/photostream/

Mark

Good detective work.

This was the best view I had of it until this afternoon. Fogmans hut (we think) in the centre and the signal to the left of the hut.

Not much use, was it?

Judging by the shadow and there being no leaves on the trees, I reckon it's about 2 in the afternoon.

Thanks Mark.

899572959_2296A3NewtonHallDurham(MalcolmDunnett)298(3).jpg.a61630bac9f9f12c5d380f04e7366fdc.jpg

Edited by RBAGE
  • Like 1

On 25/02/2022 at 13:16, micknich2003 said:

But it is worth joining though.

The 'Express' publication is always interesting, and the on-line photograph archive (which I only discovered recently) is very useful.

• Like 1