Diagram 1/246 Banana Van Yellow Spot Size

TheSignalEngineer

• RMweb Gold

I'm just finishing a lash-up of a BR Banana Van using an old HD body on a new chassis.

I've had a search around for details of the yellow spot size but haven't found anything yet. The only reference I have seen was 18" but that seems too large for the available space..

Can anyone out there tell me the actual size please?

Thanks.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I have an idea the yellow spots were the same size as the blue ones on the insulfish vans, which may be of some help to you.  The spots used on some wagons for 'circuit' working were the same size as well IIRC but I am happy to be corrected on this. 

Can't answer about the steam heating, sorry.

Above might be helpful as the Bluespots were 15 inches diameter according to one source I've looked at but also seen 18 inches too!

Ought to know just done a Bluespot at Ludborough.

Why not ask some of the other preservation chaps. Pretty sure one at SRPS Bo'ness with nice yellow spot.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening Clive,

Back in the railway room tonight I have had another look at Paul's pictures and using the dimensions from the 1/246 diagram on the Barrowmore website gives me about 14.5" allowing for the angles of the shots and my eyesight. Given that figure and the previous comments it looks like my original feeling of it being 15" was OK.

Eric

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Is this the thread you were thinking of Keefer?

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/128969-would-shunters-have-steam-heating-pipes/

Link is in my post #10

Hope that helps Eric

And to encourage things along I give you this from my good friend Brian Thomas...

post-7138-0-01501200-1513277664_thumb.jpg

Is that a 1/246?

Phil

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/128969-would-shunters-have-steam-heating-pipes/

Link is in my post #10

Hope that helps Eric

And to encourage things along I give you this from my good friend Brian Thomas...

attachicon.gif290 (2).jpg

Is that a 1/246?

Phil

Thanks for the link Phil. It looks as if mine could have been built with a through pipe then removed afterwards.

Those in the picture are the 1/246, built 1959/60. They were based on the 10-ft wheelbase Fruit Van without the side and end ventilators

Eric

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Eric

As only the first few wagons are visible I wonder if this is a banana train or merely our South Wales friends using them as a fitted head on something else?

Phil

• Like 1

Link is in my post #10

Hope that helps Eric

attachicon.gif290 (2).jpg

Is that a 1/246?

Phil

Nice one Phil.

Can you fill me in with any further bit info on the photo, please ?

i.e.

date, locos, ?

I have several vans 'to do' for "Twll Cach" which will alternate between 'banana' workings ex-Barry Docks and as 'tadpoles' for fitted head use.

I don't recall the 'Tadpoles' straying east of STJ, but there is a 'prototype for everything' and I stand to be educated.

Thanks in advance.

Brian R

PS

The attached shows banana vans in use as 'fitted head - Tadpoles' at Pengam Junction, August 1972.

I appreciate the 'fitted head' is at the rear of the train ! - which is a Llantrisant - Cardiff Docks  iron ore working behind Canton's 6990 that has come up the SWML and has just reversed at Pengam in order to reach the BSC East Moors steel works via Tidal Sidings, which is but a mile or so run unfitted.

Now, Llantrisant maintained several rakes of 'Tadpoles' at this time................one wonders if they could have been used on the Llantrisant - Kingswinford 'Pensnett' coke hoppers circuit via Abbotswood Junction ?

post-1599-0-63838000-1513324807_thumb.jpg

Edited by br2975
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Eric

As only the first few wagons are visible I wonder if this is a banana train or merely our South Wales friends using them as a fitted head on something else?

Phil

Looks post-1970 and no Fyffes or Geest labels in sight so possiblt a fitted head on a coal train.

Edited by TheSignalEngineer
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi Brian

Hoped you would be along!

Yes I had thought too about their use on the Llantrisant - Kingswinford working - in the 71-72 timetable it ran as a Class 8 northbound (loaded) but a class 6 southbound (empties). Where would the brakes for the class 6 have come from if not "tadpoles" ?

I never saw the working but we were well aware of a northbound at the dead of night that shook the town about midnight - booked time at Abbotswood was 23.29 northbound so not far off - Hymek or 37?

Phil

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

So I put br2975s questions to the photographer - Brian Thomas of www.hymek.co.uk fame and this is what he came back with...

Bad news is "No" I didn't take an approaching shot and I don't recall if this was a full train of Banana wagons or just the few next to the locomotives.

Good news is I did record the locomotive numbers and the date the photograph was taken.  7519 and 7503 Abbotswood Junction 6th August 1973.  I didn't record the time but the leading banana van isn't casting a shadow on the locomotive so I suspect the time could be as late as 17:00 - 18:00 as the sun would be well round by then in August.   Looks like the colour light signal has a strong shadow confirming the sun is well round to the west as well.

So those locos were both Canton allocated at the time - but not sure that helps much!

Anything booked for a pair of South Wales 25s at this time?

Phil

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Thanks for all the comments. Looks like 15" is the correct size.

I found out my Grandad's old leather punch which goes up to 3/16". I made a yellow transfer patch and punched out two discs. They would be the equivalent of about 14 1/4" and look fine on the model. Problem solved.

• Like 1

So I put br2975s questions to the photographer - Brian Thomas of www.hymek.co.uk fame and this is what he came back with...

Bad news is "No" I didn't take an approaching shot and I don't recall if this was a full train of Banana wagons or just the few next to the locomotives.

Good news is I did record the locomotive numbers and the date the photograph was taken.  7519 and 7503 Abbotswood Junction 6th August 1973.  I didn't record the time but the leading banana van isn't casting a shadow on the locomotive so I suspect the time could be as late as 17:00 - 18:00 as the sun would be well round by then in August.   Looks like the colour light signal has a strong shadow confirming the sun is well round to the west as well.

So those locos were both Canton allocated at the time - but not sure that helps much!

Anything booked for a pair of South Wales 25s at this time?

Phil

Thanks Phil.

Geest imported bananas through Barry from 1959 until the early 1980s, but I'm not sure when they ceased using the traditional BR vans for distribution

By October, 1972 Shaw Savill were bringing bananas into Barry for Geest, and some of the banana hands / bunches were distributed by articulated lorry, using insulated containers.

Happy New Year

Brian R

Edited by br2975
  • Like 2