OO gauge GWR Mogul and Prairie

Paul.Uni

Recess in the bunker is wrong for 5109 in Great Western green.

Well you did ask!

Christmas Mubarak

Oakhill

Sorry also for 5109 in shirtbutton. There should be balancing pipes between side an bunker tanks on some of them and I believe the injectors were behind the steps on both sides. No lampirons on the bunker - only mentioned because they are shown at the front.

Is the shovel on the tank a standard fitting for these, or a little joke cos Dapol sent an Airfix body to the design house.

It’s also the worst moulded coal that I have ever seen.

Oakhill

I will be quiet now before this thread resembles one about track.

Very nice. Yes, this is me welcoming announcements of copper kettles, don't all faint at once.

I wonder if anyone from Dapol visited the Dolgellau model layout exhibition in the Ebenezer Chapel and heard me bitching about how hard it was to source DCC chipped Moguls and how we'd have to renumber and detail up the 61xx from Hornby to expand the fleet and took pity on us? Both are bob-on for the Dolgellau layout and with all the DCC goodies will bound to be popular with the grockles who like anything that chuffs and toots. And, with them coming in early 2019, that gives us time to get some grant money to buy some.

Thank you Dapol. Now just do a Class 86 as well.

That could easily come later. Not difficult to change a cab on the tooling.

It's a bit more than that. The side-window cabbed 93xx variant also had a front footplate drop that was further forward, plus differences in the motion bracket shape. That's without mentioning the weighted front buffer beam (later removed).

The chimney on the prairie looks tapered is should be parallel with a copper cap although I think there were a few with cast iron chimney which did have a slight taper but not many, I hope they sort the shape out before manufacture. as I said before I think most of the BR black versions should be unlined. 6129 and 6166 where transferred to the eastern region and worked out of Marylebone, in 1949.

• RMweb Gold

................................. as I said before I think most of the BR black versions should be unlined. 

In the West Mids in the early 1960s we had at least unlined black early, unlined black late and lined green late. 4176, one of the last few built in 1949 was still in early crest in 1963, possibly never got repainted.

As usual we will be doing unlined grot with no crest ourselves. 

Bear in mind that 9351 is a Prairie rebuild with several differences to a standard 43xx / 63xx.

Dave

Yes, it's got the 2-6-2T's smaller boiler for a start. When the West Somerset converted it from a 2-6-2T to a 2-6-0 tender, some doubted if it would be able to give a good a performance due to lower adhesive weight compared to a 2-6-2T or proper 2-6-0 tender. It seems to have proved the doubters wrong, mind.

Yes. There is something to be said for embracing the prototype range that is being aimed at, and making sure that it meets an acceptable range of needs. The 'art of compromise' has only so much elasticity when in comes to vehicles, be they locos, coaches or wagons.

• RMweb Gold

If they just had access to an up to date B-Set CAD they could offer too in 4mm - Doh

PLEASE not another B set, not the most suitable stock for either loco anyway; we GW/steam era WR modellers need proper non gangwayed compartment stock, Collett or Hawkworth, other than the hackneyed B set and comparable to that available RTR for other railways!  And as Dap already do the Lionheart B set in 0, this is the most probable (and least desirable) release.

Edited by The Johnster

• RMweb Gold

PLEASE not another B set, not the most suitable stock for either loco anyway; we GW/steam era WR modellers need proper non gangwayed compartment stock, Collett or Hawkworth, other than the hackneyed B set and comparable to that available RTR for other railways!  And as Dap already do the Lionheart B set in 0, this is the most probable (and least desirable) release.

Why not another B Set?

There is only one available RTR which is awful (Chassis is wrong, bodyside is wrong, glazing and detail levels crude)  and even considering kits there is only the one available.   A decent E140 / E145 would be fantastic!  

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Interesting picture to illustrate both these models and its a 2.6.2 converted into a 2.6.0 .....

9351 is the lightweight mogul that the GWR specified but never built.

A genuine might have been built in 12" to the foot scale at the WSR, and a cracking little loco.

Hope Dapol don't think they were all like it though. :jester:

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Typical, they do all this and miss the Manor....

Well, Hornby continuing to churn out their ex-Airfix relic and Bachmann neglecting to retool their long-discontinued Mogul has brought wholly predictable claim jumps.

Might it stimulate Bachmann to get their finger out with the Manor at long last?

John

• RMweb Gold

Why not another B Set?

There is only one available RTR which is awful (Chassis is wrong, bodyside is wrong, glazing and detail levels crude)  and even considering kits there is only the one available.   A decent E140 / E145 would be fantastic!  

Because a B set is available, and I am happy enough for now with mine, an ancient Airfix that I have worked up a bit, not that a new release wouldn't be an improvement.  But I cannot buy an RTR GW non-gangwayed compartment coach other than the B set, limited in use to shorter trains and unsuitable for suburban or longer distance secondary runs, and comparable to the RTR LMA period 1 and LNER Gresleys and Thompsons, or even the pre-grouping SECR and LSWR stuff for the Southern.  The old Airfix B set is dimensionally good and the basis of a good model if you put some effort in; I have no problem with that sort of basic modelling.  

I might be a little less oppositional to a flat ended B set, of which the coaches can be used individually.

• RMweb Gold

I will be in the market for the large prairie, my current Airfix one, despite being worked up a good bit over the years and still a good runner, was produced in the Silurian Era and built by Trilobites.  It is probably doomed once it's current set of irreplaceable carbon brushes wears out anyway.  

Well done Dapol; perhaps you can redeem yourselves for the appalling rubbish in the form of an ex Hornby Dublo BR steel open wagon you sold me last year and which ended up in the bin; the bin complained about the quality.

9351 is the lightweight mogul that the GWR specified but never built.

A genuine might have been built in 12" to the foot scale at the WSR, and a cracking little loco.

Hope Dapol don't think they were all like it though. :jester:

John

Never built because unless you could arrange some very clever compensating beams it would still be blue route.

Because a B set is available, and I am happy enough for now with mine, an ancient Airfix that I have worked up a bit, not that a new release wouldn't be an improvement.  But I cannot buy an RTR GW non-gangwayed compartment coach other than the B set, limited in use to shorter trains and unsuitable for suburban or longer distance secondary runs, and comparable to the RTR LMA period 1 and LNER Gresleys and Thompsons, or even the pre-grouping SECR and LSWR stuff for the Southern.  The old Airfix B set is dimensionally good and the basis of a good model if you put some effort in; I have no problem with that sort of basic modelling.  

I might be a little less oppositional to a flat ended B set, of which the coaches can be used individually.

Surely then a new Mogul and Large Prairie should be immediately cancelled.