Al's 7mm Modern Image Work Bench

D6775

Well its Sunday and not Saturday this week and not a lot to report. My donor 'spares/repairs' 33 turned up earlier in the week and generally worth what I paid. What I didn't realise was that no only was it missing the motor and gears out of one bogie is that one bogie frame is glued on solid, the other isn't but the locating pin on the bogie side has been cut off by the looks of it and the equlizing beam on one bogie fram (the glued solid one!) is broken and missing. Therefore not only am I looking for a motor and gears (wasn't bothered as one bogie would suffice) I could really do with a complete bogie! Anyway, 33 was duely stripped down (boby and tanks etc to be disposed of) and chassis married up with the 26 body.

44910700531_67bd1c7027_b.jpgUntitled by endoftheroad, on Flickr

Thats all folks, hopefully more to report this coming week!

Al.

• 4 weeks later...

Well the regular weekly updates soon stopped didn't they!

Not a massive amount of progress at the moment, motivation has dipped somewhat. However, a couple of things have been achieved. The 37 is no chipped with sound & lights both working:

45531489782_8e9dfd538d_b.jpgHeljan Class 37 by endoftheroad, on Flickr

And another project started (I will get all off these finished!). MM1 models re-released the ex JLTRT Snowploughs which were always going to be on my to-do list. So rather than miss out and not know when they would be re-done I tried to place an order for two some weeks back when they first re-appeared. Alas there was only one left, order was duely place however as I thought 1 is better than none and it'll save me a couple of quid. How wrong could I be, another batch were soon announced and a second order placed.

Chassis painted & fitted with Peartree wheels. Bearings needed a little fettling but both chassis now roll quite nicely:

44654522475_ca154537c4_b.jpgMM1 (JLTRT) Snowplough by endoftheroad, on Flickr

30627357587_2bdab24c0b_b.jpgMM1 (JLTRT) Snowplough by endoftheroad, on Flickr

30627357667_458f5f700d_b.jpgMM1 (JLTRT) Snowplough by endoftheroad, on Flickr

Dead easy to put together, these are actually still in three pieces and not attached to the chassis. I am thinking that it might be easier to mask & paint before final fitment. I have added the brass plates bellow the dumb buffers from a spare sheet I bought for another project.

Hopefuly get some paint on these this coming week fingers crossed.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Not much to report at the moment as been busy with other things. Paint has started to go on the ploughs, hopefully some more progress this week. There has also been an accident on ebay, I had no intention of buying anything else untill the new 37/4s appeared however a sound fitted split box 37 appeared on ebay at a reasonable price, all be it not working properly. I figured at the asking price it was worth a gamble and so here it is:

45229355845_4a5fa0d274_b.jpgHeljan Class 37 by endoftheroad, on Flickr

After seeing how it ran (very poorly, jumpy and not all wheels turning) I started to strip it down. Sure enough 3 out of 4 gears are split:

45229355755_a21cd5dd0c_b.jpgHeljan Class 37 by endoftheroad, on Flickr

32269723128_05512bf52f_b.jpgHeljan Class 37 by endoftheroad, on Flickr

This was meant to be a long term project but I got carried away this morning and its now completly split into componenet parts and in the stripping bath! Now to work out what it will become.

45229355855_f68d4520f9_b.jpgHeljan Class 37 by endoftheroad, on Flickr

Edited as the wrong picture was added!

Edited by D6775
  • Like 2

Well its Sunday and not Saturday this week and not a lot to report. My donor 'spares/repairs' 33 turned up earlier in the week and generally worth what I paid. What I didn't realise was that no only was it missing the motor and gears out of one bogie is that one bogie frame is glued on solid, the other isn't but the locating pin on the bogie side has been cut off by the looks of it and the equlizing beam on one bogie fram (the glued solid one!) is broken and missing. Therefore not only am I looking for a motor and gears (wasn't bothered as one bogie would suffice) I could really do with a complete bogie! Anyway, 33 was duely stripped down (boby and tanks etc to be disposed of) and chassis married up with the 26 body.

Thats all folks, hopefully more to report this coming week!

Al.

Out of interest, did you buy this privately or from a shop?

Regards

Alan

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello there

I’ve 2 of the 26s go to do myself was wondering what is the size of the plasticard that you used to replace the doors

Thanks

Simon

Hi Simon,

I just went through my scrap box and offered a few bits up to the old doors that I had removed. Cut to the same dimensions and chamfered the top edge. I have another set to do at some point.

Al.

This started life as a splitter if you want a challenge.

I saw that at Telford Brian and very nice it looks too. Current front runner is 008 in red stripe, but I have to admit after seeing yours I am sorely tempted with 505 or 510 in Intercity, but sods law says HJ will announce them after doing the 37/4s & its my first split box one.

Al.

Edited by D6775

37156 is finally nearing completion. Cam has had it over Xmas for paint and weathering. I am happy butchering stuff but when it comes to painting I need a little more work, maybe this year!

46043111874_e4becabbf8_b.jpgHeljan Class 37 37156 by endoftheroad, on Flickr

Lots more to come this year hopefully, going to have to pull my finger out as it looks like we have an exhibition to attend in November:

https://www.modernimageogauge.co.uk/

https://www.facebook.com/modernimageogauge/

• Like 4

dont you mean castlemain xxxx or fosters larger  it tastes just like dettol  

will give it a try

wear gloves. i didn't to my cost, the dettol dried my skin out on my hands and they really were quite sore for a week. also if you had watched my last video you would have known i am a cider drinker  :declare:  :sarcastichand:

hi can i please ask what  you use for stripping the paint  of the body as im planning on repainting a Heljan 47

regards terry

Mine have all been done with IPA, but I understand Detol does work I've just not tried it.

PS Aussies won't use Castlemain XXXX or Fosters to clean the dunny let a lone drink it!

Edited by D6775