While RMWeb was down, I received these Steampunk/Victorian figures, but they are the larger gaming scale - 28mm high and just too big for my model sadly, so will carry on with my own, customised from a cheaper range.

378F0A16-B901-402A-80C6-468FC43DF68D.jpeg

Edited by Marly51
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

It’s amazing how much time passes by when you start fiddling with buildings. Some of the  ‘Steampunk’ CakeBox buildings needed darkening as well as weathering. The station building was kitbashed from Scalescenes Crossing Keepers Cottage Model No.R007a. The dressed cornerstones, lintels, roof slates, etc were far too light. So it was out with the paintbrush and I replaced the roofing with Model Scale Scenery ‘Weathered Slate’ TX14-00. Still more tweaking and some heavy weathering to come!

I was able to create a ‘vennel’ through the building, where the double window was located in the original kit. The canal boatman can take the horse through, while another bargee ‘legs’ the boat through the narrow canal tunnel.

4FDBCF24-37D7-41AA-B484-BA9C74963564.jpeg.47d110cd89746e43b80b05d523a6a49d.jpeg

Scalescenes ‘Original’ Kit

D189545E-A5EE-4237-BF29-C820F632D67F.jpeg.b158dd3c46e682961a3b811568acafb5.jpeg

Oops - just noticed I used a black marker on the ‘vennel’ lintel!

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

I used one of the buildings from the Scalescenes ‘Low Relief High Street Backs’ Kit No. T005a for the canalside warehouse. Again the printout was quite light and definitely not dark enough for the model. I am finding that matt paper prints have a warmer hue than ‘silk’ photopaper. Not been very pleased with my current Canon printer - it replaced an excellent Epson, which lasted for years and was more economic with ink!

To create a busy feeling to the ‘wynd’ I have built sections of buildings which are less than a room deep, but ask the viewer to use their imagination!! I may use lighting in some of the buildings, so have removable roofs in a couple of them. Just waiting for some parts for my new CakeBox: Taxi Rank Corner, Waverley Station, so I can start posting there while I finish this model.

216BDD5C-F3D7-466D-91E9-4392D28E117D.jpeg.0ab2b7c04f1cc08f387da14c92679242.jpeg

Scalescenes ‘Low Relief High Street Backs’  T005a

18F3D3DA-ACA1-4C94-8B3B-FF00C5DF3929.jpeg.214f87909dfabd87d03543b8f68295d8.jpeg

My two storey version

C4A2B52F-25AE-42A9-81A4-DA31156B7368.jpeg.9afc1adf77490dbb5755804c99ff3bb9.jpeg

With removable roof section.

Edited by Marly51
  • Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Hands up who's learned a new word today - vennel. Apparently Scottish/N of England, related to 'vein', and not necessarily related to the Yorkshire ginnel. 

See also https://blog.oxforddictionaries.com/2014/10/02/regional-words-alleyway/ for regional alleyway words.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

58 minutes ago, eastwestdivide said:

Hands up who's learned a new word today - vennel. Apparently Scottish/N of England, related to 'vein', and not necessarily related to the Yorkshire ginnel. 

See also https://blog.oxforddictionaries.com/2014/10/02/regional-words-alleyway/ for regional alleyway words.

Fascinating link.  I am familiar with many of these words, but many also were completely new to me.  Despite the claim that "The east Midlands was the heartland of the twitchel", the word is new to me.  Evidently I grew up in one of those "parts of Leicestershire" replete with jitties.  Outside the urban context, these referred to any pedestrian lane.  There was no need for buildings to flank, let alone arch over, a jitty.  Often then ran along or between house backs, but one I knew ran between fields and another was flanked by school playing fields. 

13 hours ago, Marly51 said:

It’s amazing how much time passes by when you start fiddling with buildings. Some of the  ‘Steampunk’ CakeBox buildings needed darkening as well as weathering. The station building was kitbashed from Scalescenes Crossing Keepers Cottage Model No.R007a. The dressed cornerstones, lintels, roof slates, etc were far too light. So it was out with the paintbrush and I replaced the roofing with Model Scale Scenery ‘Weathered Slate’ TX14-00. Still more tweaking and some heavy weathering to come!

I was able to create a ‘vennel’ through the building, where the double window was located in the original kit. The canal boatman can take the horse through, while another bargee ‘legs’ the boat through the narrow canal tunnel.

D189545E-A5EE-4237-BF29-C820F632D67F.jpeg.b158dd3c46e682961a3b811568acafb5.jpeg

Again I am loving the slight twist that turns Victoriana into Steampunk.

• Thanks 1

On ‎01‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 17:11, Marly51 said:

While RMWeb was down, I received these Steampunk/Victorian figures, but they are the larger gaming scale - 28mm high and just too big for my model sadly, so will carry on with my own, customised from a cheaper range.

378F0A16-B901-402A-80C6-468FC43DF68D.jpeg

On New Ankh, which has a very steampunk feel to it, I used AC Stadden figures. They're not in action poses, but very well sculpted and detailed. I found a lot of the Dapol workmen figures could be used as Victorian/Edwardian characters, as working men's clothes didn't change a huge amount between about 1830 and 1960 (at least, not enough to be very noticeable in 00 scale).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

Fascinating link.  I am familiar with many of these words, but many also were completely new to me.  Despite the claim that "The east Midlands was the heartland of the twitchel", the word is new to me.  Evidently I grew up in one of those "parts of Leicestershire" replete with jitties.  Outside the urban context, these referred to any pedestrian lane.  There was no need for buildings to flank, let alone arch over, a jitty.  Often then ran along or between house backs, but one I knew ran between fields and another was flanked by school playing fields. 

Nearly on-topic as it's about trains... I went to university in Leicester, and the alleyway from which you could see the depot, where all the trainspotters congregated, was occasionally referred to by the locals as a jitty/jetty or possibly jettyway/jittyway. At the time, I'd assumed (wrongly) that it was because part of that particular alleyway was sort of cantilevered out on supports, like a jetty over the water.

Anyway, back to the steampunk.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Oh, and the jitty through the parish churchyard, where my father swore he once saw a ghost (on the way back from the pub).

I had assumed jitty was good generally for Leicestershire, but the article to which you linked throws doubt on that, so I am glad for confirmation that jitties are alive and well in the metropolis of Leicester.  

• Like 2

On 15/02/2019 at 10:08, HonestTom said:

On New Ankh, which has a very steampunk feel to it, I used AC Stadden figures. They're not in action poses, but very well sculpted and detailed. I found a lot of the Dapol workmen figures could be used as Victorian/Edwardian characters, as working men's clothes didn't change a huge amount between about 1830 and 1960 (at least, not enough to be very noticeable in 00 scale).

Thank you Honest Tom! I have a set of those Dapol figures plus a range of the unpainted cheap ones. The driver and stoker which came with the 'Rocket' kit are just about right. It is actually my daughter who is the steampunk fan and produced this model (minus figures) over seven years ago. She is currently living the dream, working as an illustrator with a digital games development company.

image.jpeg.61f234f6cd1fd571e8f440c94fbc6424.jpeg

Edited by Marly51
  • Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Another section of a building (with removable roof) for the ‘wynd’. I have one last corner building to complete, timber fencing and various bit and pieces to add, then an all-over weathering of the whole model, so I can finally move on with the CakeBox 2019 challenge! Now where did I put that battery pack and strip of lights? :wacko:

60E0E1D5-E2BD-4AD9-BA30-2CB9C4F31AE1.jpeg.28fe390b8883a7716d064fee4ba2837c.jpeg

Made from the ‘High Street Backs’ kit, using my usual base of double ‘cereal’ box card plus some additional downloaded paper textures.

44EC12E7-D588-4D9B-90BD-3530E253FF28.jpeg.a00648bddcc02d8992d73a8685ad1f9a.jpeg

Removeable roof to allow for fixing a small light! I left space at the back of the model to house a battery unit, which turned out to be too tight when the lighting kit arrived! However there is enough play to pop the battery pack inside the CakeBox on top of the model when it is packed away? :)

Edited by Marly51
  • Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Got sidetracked again with a final section of building to fill the last corner of this model. Think I have used examples from about five different eras of buildings! The Clever Models kit is very detailed and most of their smaller scale models have been reduced from the original designs which were created in 0 scale. Unfortunately they do not supply any construction details, so it is a case of choosing the elements you want. This little shop is just about finished. So final weathering and addition of figures tho come :)

A649665C-00B8-4134-A2EA-46D52F2E160D.jpeg.e139e9c59814e651eb1ba3e84162711b.jpeg

The foundation of the building will be below the road surface of the ‘wynd’ leading to the station.

233E2B38-DC11-446C-95CF-7654636963FD.jpeg.182ea5fe86b17e2fbf3cd829eab80705.jpeg

This is one version of the original Clever Models kit. 

Edited by Marly51
  • Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Making many of my buildings in paper and card, I am guilty of not changing the craft knife blades often enough! I like the slim metal Swann Morton surgical handle with size 10A blades for main cutting and size 11 for the smaller detail. I do have an old oilstone, which I inherited, and shall try sharpening some old blades to make them last longer. A recent purchase was a small blade remover box which works well once you get the the hang of it. Old blades also have a wide range of uses around the house and workshop.

I am finding that I need to borrow my husband’s magnifying headset more these days, to paint small details, and may consider moving up to 0 scale for some projects to make life a little easier! :)

BBE48549-31C5-4C34-B651-1A0BEE868CB6.jpeg.9f30e14fa87d5d77786341e1b176ecd1.jpeg

Edited by Marly51
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 minutes ago, Damo666 said:

Curious.

I'd be interested to know of some please.

Thanks

D

Hi D - old blades are ideal for removing excess paint and putty off window glass - no matter how careful I try to be, I always manage to over paint (we have old timber framed windows). I like to clean up old tools in the winter and the blades are great for getting into any small grooves and corners. Even when rejuvenating old paintbrushes in paint cleaner, there is still some stubborn paint where the bristles are fixed into the metal ferrule, again this can be removed with care using one of the blunt blades (needless to say my husband thinks I am mad and would be perfectly happy buying a new brush!) These are just a few things I use old blades for - I inherited my recycling habits from my dad - very little was thrown away in the 1950s!

Marlyn

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 4 weeks later...

Think I’ll change my Forum name to ‘Tortoise’ - slow and determined, but will get there eventually! Every time I focus on a corner of this CakeBox I find more information. I wasn’t happy with my modelling of the canal boat fender, in paper, which came with the downloaded kit. This particular canal boat has a metal tiller and rudder, but my, white metal, figure set also included a traditional tiller. I decided to make a ‘hybrid’ tiller post in card and created the fender by stitching over a small piece of corrugated card former. I used ordinary cotton dressmakers’ thread using rows of blanket stitch, with each row stitched into the previous one. Two nights wearing magnifying lenses!!

The tiller is in the upswing position to allow access to the cabin. Some good reference material here: 

https://www.waterways.org.uk/blog/historic_narrow_boat_features

“Rams Heads and Swans Necks - On horseboats and butties, the rudder and tiller arrangement is known as the 'elum'.  The rudder is the large blade (usually wooden, even on a metal butty) that allows the boat to be steered, with a detachable handle ('tiller') connected to the top of the rudder (called the 'rams head').  A butty tiller is curved and can be turned the other way up when not in use to allow more room for getting in and out of the cabin.  Sometimes a horse’s tail would be hung from the rams head as decoration.”

My first attempt at the canal boat with the paper/card fender. The ‘legging’ boatman was made from the cheap unpainted figure from China!

0F01C350-27C2-4607-A732-CF17067B477B.jpeg.e449bfdf63c2d03adb2cfdada94568d1.jpeg

The final model with hand stitched rope ‘fender’ (made from thread). The canal boat lady is in her traditional outfit including the elaborate bonnet. These boat people were known for their craft skills with ropework, needlework and decorative paintwork on the most utilitarian items, including their boats.

36ECF74A-6B9B-421A-A8CD-73913ECCDA71.jpeg.4793fd0c88ce205132a88ab892be074e.jpeg

Edited by Marly51
  • Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• 5 weeks later...

Here are my two ‘Rocket’ men! Some final tweaks to the main model and I shall post the final images soon!! At least that will be one CakeBox completed with the second one to follow.

EBD57AF6-807C-4486-B4CB-DA50C92D5D30.jpeg.f9ba0d1e3ca9b273c07836aa8d114edd.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Steampunking a Dapol railwayman! Tissue paper stained with a permanent marker - now that the coat is in place, will give it a coat of black paint to make the tissue opaque. 

B867BA9F-23AB-46D0-94F7-D8CE4404F107.jpeg

0DE85F4D-6D6C-437C-81F3-6BC994BA6E8D.jpeg

Edited by Marly51
  • Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

On 15/02/2019 at 10:05, Edwardian said:

To add a couple more - gant (urban alley, Essex) and "eight-foot" - Grimsby version of what Hull calls a "ten-foot" .

I understand the latter two to be specifically the back alley between two rows of terraces , giving access to the rears of the property . You clearly stand a better chance of getting your car into the garage if you live in a Victorian terrace in Hull than if you live in Grimsby....

• Informative/Useful 2

A close up shot of the  boat man and his horse making their way up the wynd and over the track to the other side of the canal tunnel. Hope to fit some lights into three buildings this weekend, before fixing  them to the model.

4D9CD840-4F2C-4174-897D-2F55A1160BCA.jpeg.239f96d8d63f73a1fad5d2d5f43e4e4c.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• 2 weeks later...

Nearing the end now - a couple of shots of the model with LED lights in three buildings. I used a cheap kit which came with a switched battery pack and LEDs in a strip. It was a bit of a fiddle fitting the lights in such tiny spaces. I put two LEDs in the station building which is why it is shining more brightly, one is really enough! Colour filters on the inside of the windows were made from tissue paper coloured with ordinary felt pens. Models are never really finished, but the last images and description will be posted once the backscene is in place.

95486BE7-9382-4B24-BB09-004AECB1C7B3.jpeg.85b91405046d697dc3e5da456f4cccda.jpeg

A twilight shot by moonlight with lamps being lit indoors!

AEF5DF2A-5391-4D8F-81F9-7FF6895C8EB9.jpeg.69c71161ef4d41b69dbe8407d69b1ef6.jpeg

This LED kit was fine for my first attempt at lighting a model, but think I will be using individual   LEDs in future.

Edited by Marly51
  • Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 7

• RMweb Gold

Fantastic modelling Marly51. I know what you mean by a model is never finished as you are always looking for parts to change or add. 

The lighting is atmospheric and helps to bring your layout to life.:good_mini:

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

On 15/02/2019 at 10:05, Edwardian said:

In Sussex those alleys are "Twittens"

Edited by The Evil Bus Driver
for typo
  • Informative/Useful 2