Hi Paul,

It has to be said the ballasting looks superb. I will certainly be using your method for Felsted when I make the trackbed this winter.

At the moment I am over here in the UK trying to earn a few shillings before returning to Cyprus in Nov when all my initial attack on the trackwork will begin. In the meantime I am collecting useful items to take back for a relaxing winter's modelling.

Have just bought a Connoisseur F5 and contemplating a J17, probably DMR. Also have an Ebay disaster in the form of an 08 shunter part built, which I hope to model on one used at Braintree. I still need to identify one used there. I am also scratch building a dia120 van, my first real go at scratch building. Hopefully when Dan Pinnock's castings for the springs and axle boxes arrive, the major headaches will be sorted. Still if I'd known there was a kit available, ie Dan's, I would not have started it, but I have several pics of them behind J17s so I had to have one.

Thanks for this thread, do keep us up to date

HI Boeing

The Connoissuer F5 goes together like a dream (as does anything that Jim has developed). The kit suggests you use slightly smaller pony wheels but I stuck to the scale size and had no problems. I have heard things about the J17 and I beleive there is a thread running on one of the 7mm Yahoo sites. However I don't think there is an alternative unless Ace Models makes one. A J17 is rather a must have for the Braintree branch.

I had a few problems with the B2 from the same stable but the proprietor was very helpful in working through these. The kit is still not finished but I am most of the way there now.

The Branch Lines around Witham ( and Kelvedon and Bishops Stortford to give it its correct title) is now available for pre-ordering through Amazon and should be publiched in August.

All for now

Paul R

The DMR J17 is fine, and apart from having to tweak some of the pre-rolled parts into their proper shape, will go together well and make a very nice model.

It's the other on the market by SM Models that has an incorrect wheelbase, though to give the manufacturer his due, he has said he will be looking at re-drawing the relevant etches.

Here's a part-built one on the West Mersea branch, constructed by Peter Hunt.

41_05_1.jpg

• Like 3

Well ballasting has got to the point where I need to do something about the level crossing. I have an MSE kit see photo below

post-3038-127938579716.jpg

The kit is actually for an LNWR type but it is very similar to a GER, the main difference being the height of the post that the gate hangs from. There is on Flckr, some very nice photos of the old crossing and signal box at both Cressing and White Notley. That at Cressing seems to have gates larger than the kit I have although it is about the right size for White Notley. Both the kit and the photos suggest timber baulks for the crossing surface between the rails - I was planning a tarmac surface. I think I will experiment with a wood surface to start with and see how it goes.

The second photo shows the site of the crossing. I used some copper clad track here - Marcway I think - as I wanted to be able to solder in a check rail. Too many layouts have no checkrail across crossings or in yards. For me a cut piece of card will not do!

post-3038-127938605853.jpg

Looking at the site, I don't think I could have got a wider gate in as it would have been too near the rear of the layout. As it is I will not be able to get a car in space between the gate and the eventual backscene.

All for now - I will keep the photo's coming

Paul R

• Like 1

Derek

I use a 2 part process. First I spray the rails side on with Railmatch dark rust. Then when that is dry I use Railmatch Sleeper grime to spray the sleepers. However you have to be careful and do this directly above the track from about 6 to 7 inches and move along on a perpendicular basis. Don't spray side on or at an angle. In this way you will avoid covering the rail sides with the grime and they will remain rust. There will be some overspray but as long as this is relatively minimal it adds to the overall effect. Use a spare yard of track pinned to a plank to test it.

I don't clean the paint from the tops of the rails until the ballast is completed.

Hope this helps

Paul R

Hello Paul,

Sorry to drag up an old topic and subject. I'm just getting back into model railways (albeit OO gauge, rather than O) after a 10 year gap and having not really progressed beyond the track on a baseboard phase its a whole new learning curve trying to do it right!!

I want to make sure that I get the track looking right and was really impressed with the outcome of your ballasting and trackwork that I'm going to attempt it the same way (watch me make a right mess of it!!). I can understand your concept of spraying the rail side on with Railmatch dark rust, but i'm a little lost with the Sleeper grime - is that to give the sleepers a more grimy wooden look than rusty? Also do you just lightly cover them, or liberally spray the sleepers? I presume by spray your meaning aerosol can, rather than air gun?

Also, do you colour the ballast anyway in terms of paint or do you find its a natural look? One final question - sorry to pester! - with the spray painting of track and the pvc glueing of ballast, how do you deal with points and specifically the point blades not getting stuck up with glue? Apologies if im being thick!

Fantastic looking layout btw - really enjoying the topic.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Regards

Rich

Rich

In essence yes. I don't want the sleepers the same colour as the rail so I spray this after the rust. If you spray from a height of about a foot and at a perpendicualr angle you should not get much if any grime on the side of the rail. I actually spray them with an aerosol and enough paint so that the rust is not seen on the sleeper.

The ballast is coloured using the powder paid mix shown earlier. I put in a small scoop - heaped tsp of burnt sienna and two tsp heaped of black. I mix this with the ballast in a flake ice cream tub about 3/4 full of ballast. I large heap of cascamite and mix it together well. Don't worry if the mix looks a bit powdery. Once you wet it and apply the pvc, the original ballast is all that is left and it will dry a much darker shade. Some people airbrush their track after ballasting and colour it that way but I prefer to do it this way. This is what we did on an HO gauge Dutch layout called Engelsdrecht and it worked fine although we used a bit more red in the ballast.

I have never had a problem with point blades sticking altho;ugh I don't as a rule ballast round the tie bar. I get as close as I can but ensure that the point moves before wetting the ballast. You need to get a fibre glass pencil on the blades afterwards to get rid of the paint or you may have electrical problems.

I hope that helps but shout if still fuzzy!

Paul R

Hi all,

Just a quick note having read this excellent topic, but I recently came across some photos in the Science and Society photo galleries (check Google) of stone wagons as described being unloaded at Stansted (search Railways, freight). They my prove the answer? An ineresting project for someone!

Must get back to work

Ian

Rich

In essence yes. I don't want the sleepers the same colour as the rail so I spray this after the rust. If you spray from a height of about a foot and at a perpendicualr angle you should not get much if any grime on the side of the rail. I actually spray them with an aerosol and enough paint so that the rust is not seen on the sleeper.

I hope that helps but shout if still fuzzy!

Paul R

Paul,

Thats great - thanks. I'll let you know how i get on and what kind of a mess I get in!

Rich

A momentus day - I have finished the ballasting - just!

It won't dry until tomorrow when I hope to get some more pictures. However I am beginning to think I have made a mistake on the level crossing. Against my initial and possibly better judgement, I used a tub of polyfilla to make the surface of the crossing and I am not sure this was the tight thing to do. I should have experimented with the wood first. In the latest edition of Southern Way there is a photo of Crawley and this had a sleeper base to the crossing. So even much bigger and more important locations used wood. I need to decide whether to chip it all out and start again or persevere and finish it as tarmac.

regards

Paul R

Well here are some pictures of the final section of the layout. The Connoissuer Tram has made an appearance and is shown toying with a coal wagon!

post-3038-128034452477.jpg

post-3038-128034453688.jpg

post-3038-128034454684.jpg

post-3038-12803445558.jpg

This final one shows the mess that is the crossing. As I mentioned in the last post I have to decide whether to press on with it or remove it. Before I do anything though I am going to have to build up the roads so that it can at least have a top surface.

The next job is to test the layout electrically again and then get on with the platforms. At the same time I need to build some more cassettes and sort out an electrical feed mechnsim to cross the baseboad join.

All for now

Paul R

Edited by pwr
  • Like 4

The next job is to test the layout electrically again and then get on with the platforms. At the same time I need to build some more cassettes and sort out an electrical feed mechnsim to cross the baseboad join.

No no.. next job is to get some nice videos for us on YouTube laugh.gif

JB.

• 3 weeks later...

Just a quick update.

The new Middleton Press Book - Branch Lines Around Witham and Kelvedon has been published. Well at least Amazon seem to have despatched my copy although I shan't get it next until next week as it has been directed to work and I am off presently.

On the modelling front I am still progressing with the Level Crossing. I initially opted for a plaster fill for the road surface but was not happy with this and I have picked it all out and gone back to a sleeper fill. Sleepers are being cut from the coffee stirrers that you get in Costa and the like. Each seems to do a different width so its worth experimenting. The gates are coming along a treat until I trial fitted them and realised that the gates on a 2 gated crossing are not handed as I had assumed, the are both the same but appear different because they are hung from different sides of the road. So I had to strip off the gauze I had fixed to what I had supposed was the road side, remove the lamp and start again!. I have just stuck the gauze on again and will then do the lamp the other way round before priming and painting and by that time I should be ready to fit on the layout when I will post more pictures.

One thing I had not realised was the height that you have to build up the roadway to get a 'level' level crossing. I think there may still be a hump in the road - quite prototypical - but I have had to stick more cork down to raise the road level. It will all become clear when I post the photos.

All for now

Paul R

Layout is looking nice! great ballesting, what are you building the platform out of?

Cheers

Chris

Chris - The base for the platforms is made out of foamboard. Some of it was once a Tesco advert! This bit is not yet finished as it does not yet provide the necessary support. The top is likley to be made from 2mm MDF boards that seem to come in packs of A4letterheads from my wife's firm's printer! I may have two layers of this and it will be topped off with Plasticard edging stones with the top surface of wet and dry paper to represent tarmac.

I'll post pictures when I get to that point!

regards

Paul R

Here are some pictures of the revised level crossing base. You can see the sleeper sized wood cuts from the coffee stirrers.

post-3038-128231533799.jpg

post-3038-128231534748.jpg

The wood stands slightly proud of the rail and the check rail and will need to be sanded down or the tains will get stuck! Then I need to paint and weather before intalling the gates whihc I have now practically finished.

More pix soon

Paul R

• Like 3

PJust seen the new Middleton Press book, Branch Lines around Witham and Kelvedon. Usual format with some useful unpublished pictures. There are some shots of the sugar beet facilities at Felstead including the grab crane and industrial loco.Few shots of the DMU/early diesel era and I would have liked to have seen more freight and more photos of freight facilities, particularly the Crittals sidings at Witham and Braintree and the Lake and Elliot siding also at Braintree. There is an error in the caption for plate 54 which describes the train as arriving Witham from Braintree whereas it is actually arriving from Maldon!

Although a useful addition to the resources, we still don't have the definitive history of the Maldon, Witham and Braintree railway. I wonder if Peter Paye could be persuaded to write one.

regards

Paul R

• 3 weeks later...

Pete

Progress very slow but I am working on the level crossing and the associated roadway. Gates and main posts in and now smothing down the road surface. Damaged one of the gaates - knocked the oil lamp off and it went up the hoover but have now retreived! Hopefully should get soome pix up soon

Thanks for watching

Paul

I am now well on the way to finishing the crossing and I am pleased with the way the timbers - ex Costa stirring sticks - have blended into the roadway. I am still filling and sanding but I am nearly ready to paint. I have to install the pedestrian gates first and this should hopefully be done by the weekend.

post-3038-007870300 1284658465_thumb.jpg

The photo makes things clearer. I have some Slaters fence that I will use to finish the area off. Timbers will be painted with dilute water colours and a grey dry brush wash.

More photos soon

Paul R

• Like 4