2 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

My Wife is 81 in July, and she has "Planet Rock" on most of the Day, My tipple is Gold UK.

As well as Trewithen, I do have another iron in the Fire. 😃

They both work for me!!!!

Paul R

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, pwr said:

Here is the 122 on a short Braintree working.

May-6.jpg.0df1b00cd61ab3f30a4482cfe2962234.jpg

May-7.jpg.f6d12ec327bbf94543ad440433df314a.jpg

I'll need to get the headcodes and destination blinds sorted.

Paul R

Isnt that a 121 with the headcode box? These were blank (often plated over) by blue-grey era so that saves you a job! Mine is blue but still wouldn't have had the headcode in use alongside my dominos locos but I might bend time a bit as prefer the look with a code showing. I think destination blinds were still used later on, although from photos they often didn't bother with them either!

Edited by Hal Nail

2 hours ago, Hal Nail said:

Isnt that a 121 with the headcode box? These were blank (often plated over) by blue-grey era so that saves you a job! Mine is blue but still wouldn't have had the headcode in use alongside my dominos locos but I might bend time a bit as prefer the look with a code showing. I think destination blinds were still used later on, although from photos they often didn't bother with them either!

Yes you are correct. Sorry about the typo!

Here is the blue 122 making an apperance on the Black Notley crossing. Sorry about the wonky angle but I was taking it backwards leaning over so to speak.

May-8.jpg.9f0de1ebc87980ac14298b07db9d9a84.jpg

More to come

Paul R

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
On 13/05/2020 at 12:13, pwr said:

A day later than promised I thought I would update on the new wireless cassette operation in the fiddle yards.

If you have been following you will know that power for the fiddle yard boards is taken via the toggle catches that join the boards. These photos show how I have taken the power to the cassettes without any need for connecting wires. Previous photos show I originally planned to use copper tape to do this but having thought about it and noted that the cassettes did not make a satisfactory connection unless weighted down I have gone for a different option using aluminium bar set into the fiddle yard.

This first picture shows the cut bar.

Fiddle-1.jpg.b15027bee9b438f4959e98d39b54f6e9.jpg

The bars are different lengths to get to each side of the cassette. The idea is that this configuration applies to both boards so that cassettes are interchangeable and can be turned thorugh 180 degrees and still be compatible.

This next shot shows the first slot routed out. 

Fiddle-2.jpg.ac8f2df86f358f936aa269613d8dbb17.jpg

This shows the fitted bar

Fiddle-3.jpg.8565ee47bb94825452da81ae4d60878f.jpg

Despite the apparent good fit the quality of the routing is not that good - its a very old Black and Decker cheapy I inherited from my late father in law and I am grateful for it.

This is both the Witham end bars

Fiddle-4.jpg.28ce1d558912c008bbc2cc3eebe38c6a.jpg

This shows the bars being set in by epoxy resin. This is the Braintree end and you can see I got the orientation wrong. Doh!

Fiddle-5.jpg.cd2d464e3eaf56df5c4b66596851a387.jpg

And being filled

Fiddle-6.jpg.2f91355ec7fdb30542140ccff2c2da65.jpg

Fiddle-7.jpg.39ffc410b334ee720a97a609cd264431.jpg

This next shot shows how the  current gets through from below - 2 machine screws. The filler has been sanded down.

Fiddle-10.jpg.335c2638b4c6cd61520d89b58c7e2a4a.jpg

This is the view from below. The two wires are fed to the connecter from the toggle catches.

Fiddle-11.jpg.38ced52df92dc59d7fdd99557abc997c.jpg

And this is the clever bit. The current is take from the bars to the running 'rails' via these machine screws that are slightly proud of the bottom of the cassette. The exact same configuration is at the other end of the cassette.

Fiddle-8.jpg.2d523f2568f9a76f58193c98012098ff.jpg

So the cassette is electrically dead anywhere on the flat surface of the fiddle yard and only becomes live when you put on the bars and drive it out of the yard. 

Here is the proof it works

Fiddle-9.jpg.d84a52a01c9e2e7f3271cb385a064242.jpg

I have adapted all my existing cassettes to this configuration bar one on which the track gauge is too narrow and needs to be modified. I am now busy building more cassettes that are overall longer so I can handle longer trains.  I need to make them in pairs so there is a corresponding empty at the other end of the layout. I had quite a bit of aluminium angle in stock but it doesn't go far when you are making slightly short of 6 ft cassettes. I was horrified when I saw the cost of these in the DIY store the other day. I paid £3.15 for an 8ft strip back in 2000 (which shows how long this has bene gestating!). The cheapest I can get now is about £11!

I need to make some alignment fittings that can be slotted into a hole in the board and which can be removed for transport. 

Anyhow this now means both fiddle yards are capable of operation and I am looking forward to getting the whole layout together again as the weather improves. Got some new motive power and rolling stock to try out!

Paul R

you may find the price better here https://www.aluminiumwarehouse.co.uk  if you need enough to cover the postage

Don

Another shot of the class 15 leaving on the pick up goods

May-10.jpg.0be41fd2f1f0494357ca076de67e661f.jpg

Running for today has commenced so there will be new pix!

Just off to run a parcels

Paul R

• Like 2

The Hymek is on a pick up goods

May-12.jpg.f0c60e532fa7a2f6fd51aeeada5e5b4b.jpg

This was the last train I ran today before packing up.

I am pleased to say there were no problems with the Class 37 or Deltic drive chains. Several bits have fallen off locos and wagons that will need fixing so I will be busy over the next week or so as I pack tem back in boxes. However the running was reltively good although I need to find a way to lower the bolts on the cassettes as they interfere with the running of the rolling stock as various bit of underframes catch on them. May have to turn the bolts so the head is on the top.

In other news the Shapeways wagon has been shipped which was a surprise since it was not due to be printed until 23rd May!

Paul R

Paul R

• Like 5

Deltic on branch passenger. Not sure why this was sent out on the Braintree circuit but it could have been reapired at Stratford for some reason and sent round via Braintree and Dunmow to test it.

May-12.jpg.e69c0cd201b8de591f2d72f8585acba2.jpg

Paul R

• Like 5

I've managed to put together a shot video of the recent running sessions. I've never done video editing before so please forgive the poor editing

If this works I will try some more

Paul R

Edited by pwr
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, pwr said:

I've managed to put together a shot video of the recent running sessions. I've never done video editing before so please forgive the poor editing

If this works I will try some more

Paul R

Paul

What a great video....... Love the different stock

Is one of your plan's to have the stock with sound........ It will bring the layout totally to life, you will not regret it especially with that Class 40 

7 minutes ago, jcarta said:

Paul

What a great video....... Love the different stock

Is one of your plan's to have the stock with sound........ It will bring the layout totally to life, you will not regret it especially with that Class 40 

Hi Jim

I would love to have sound but I am not DCC. The cost of chipping my stock would be prohibitive although I must agree a sound chipped 37 and  40 would be impressive.

As you may have noted the controller is not hugely responsive at slow speed - something I know DCC would sort.

Paul R

• Like 1

Class 56's have joined the fleet albeit had they not got held up in Customs I might have had them when I had the layout up!

Now have to wait until the autumn probably to stretch their legs.

No real issues apart from one of the axlebox/primary sptings has come detached from hte large logo version and will have to be refitted.

Other than that I am rather impressed although the wife can't see why I want one in each livery!

Class 56 is one of my favourite locos and as far as I am aware never ran on the Braintree branch so Rule 1 it is

Class-56-1.jpg.6bac20115f92db12e958992edde97599.jpg

I'll get them off the plinth later and put them on hte two boards I still have up

Paul R

• Like 4

1 hour ago, pwr said:

Class 56's have joined the fleet albeit had they not got held up in Customs I might have had them when I had the layout up!

Now have to wait until the autumn probably to stretch their legs.

No real issues apart from one of the axlebox/primary sptings has come detached from hte large logo version and will have to be refitted.

Other than that I am rather impressed although the wife can't see why I want one in each livery!

Class 56 is one of my favourite locos and as far as I am aware never ran on the Braintree branch so Rule 1 it is

Class-56-1.jpg.6bac20115f92db12e958992edde97599.jpg

I'll get them off the plinth later and put them on hte two boards I still have up

Paul R

looking good, but surely you don’t have to wait until the Autumn to play?

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, 47606odin said:

looking good, but surely you don’t have to wait until the Autumn to play?

I can only put the layout up outside in its entirety so its not often I can have a running session although should now be more frequent now I am retired. The other problem in the summer is that the rails heat up to very high temperatures so the Spring and Autumn are the best times.

Paul R

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

So the next project after the Gresley SK is going to be this PVB Campbells Soup Wagon. I bought a BrBlue lit from Shapeways. I say kit because you only get one piece! I opted to source my own Oleo buffers and then all I need is wheels and couplings. The kit is designed to use the sides of a Cararama or Corgi 1:50 curtaoin sided trailer whice I have managed to source cheap from Train Times Model shop in Eastbourne who have a very good range of secnd hand stuff. I got the whole truck and trailer for £7.99. I am not sure if it will be 100% accurate but the photos on the Shapeways site look really good.

Its printed in a white plastic material and needs some cleaning up as the roof is rough from the print. It will certainly be a quick build which I will chart on here and I am thinking of writing an article for one of the modelling magazines.

Transfers are readily available from Railtech - especially made for this product I think - and I have received an order. I think I have buffers but if not I can get a set from PRMRP or Invertrain both of whom list them. I am fairly sure I have a set of screw link couplings in stock.

There are no instructions with the print but its not difficult to work out although the key question is what adhesive to use. I am in contact with Simon from BrBlue so will ask him. The range of wagons is pretty good and you can get all sorts including Polybulk grain wagons. The roof is a bit warped but that will straighten once the sides are fixed. The main thing is that the frames are square and there is no wobble!  I am going to start by installing a plasticard floor that wll support some weight. The frame is only a few grammes.

Here is the link to the site https://www.shapeways.com/shops/brbluemodels

You ca even get parts for a Gauge 1 Class 25 and I have seen elsewhere on Shapeways that class 310 EMU bodies are available as is the WMB 4 wheel railbus but I am not convinced the designer has the shape right on the latter.

Anyway here is what I ended up with. The photos was taken from the web.

Campbells-1.jpg.3cbaa7b9dae07cc5231305c91fefba87.jpg

• Like 5

Ok so I have put the rest of the video clips together in a part two running session video. I am afraid its warts and all - still learning the software - and runs out to about 14 minutes.

I have found the inmage stabilisation button so it may not be so jumpy as the forst one!

Anyhow it is what it is±

I also left this as high definition. Its all shot on an i-phone.

I am disappointed at the slow speed control but it may have helped if I had remembered to clean the track!

Paul R

Edited by pwr
sentance added
  • Like 6