Really enjoyed them though.

Looking good.

👍.

Go on.........you know you want to...

Phil

• Funny 1

3 hours ago, Andrew P said:

Here we go again. 🙄.

Andy,you can't fight the Dark Side.Just give in gracefully,and do what you do best!

Phil

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Finally got the 56's off their plinths and tested them on the rolling road.

Then on to part of the layout for photos

Class-56-3.jpg.901fcbbdfb18517e637318b110491cba.jpg

Class-56-4.jpg.2d305052683e7cbe93f1fbaf0b7376e1.jpg

Class-56-5.jpg.c307a406d20dec5a136692e5b2028458.jpg

Class-56-6.jpg.eb8b3c9337bf8a6b0727c6cc932b596c.jpg

Classs-56-2.jpg.1f4948fb8f716ba716821883e1a3de78.jpg

They are impressive pieces of kit although I had to repair the large logo version as an axlebox assembly had fallen out in transit. I glued it in with superglue but I am not sure if this is the best adhesive for the type of plastic. Time will tell I guess and I will only find out after a full running session when  I pack it up and the axlebox is nowhere to be seen!

I might have to order a couple of spares from gaugemaster although that in itself will be an ordeal given the difficulty of finding anything on their spares website.

Paul R

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, pwr said:

Classs-56-2.jpg.1f4948fb8f716ba716821883e1a3de78.jpg

I might have to order a couple of spares from gaugemaster although that in itself will be an ordeal given the difficulty of finding anything on their spares website.

First time ive actually seen the front of the 47. It is a lot better than the old one. A rose between 2 thorns.

I got some class 33 gears the other day which miraculously appeared. Not really sure why I bothered as I've already got ultrascale replacements but it kind of felt like a lifetime ambition fulfilled!

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Like 1
  • Round of applause 1

• 2 weeks later...

At last I have braodly finished the Gresley GE shorty 7 compt third. I think I started this about 14 years ago and it got put top one side for some reason!

Now posed with a Hattons Brake compo. I think I have made a reasonable job of this.

Coach-1.jpg.f9d69682712dddaf50596b1efe7d8e63.jpg

Coach-2.jpg.b49c2b062f0419d50575354e274e7f78.jpg

Coach-3.jpg.7bca3a18f0b2d932efa05a4d08c1061f.jpg

Coach-4.jpg.40b869e3786d713221679a2d74847506.jpg

Coach-5.jpg.aded6a090e179b25646a928af7f7f6b6.jpg

Coach-6.jpg.4f651409def5d757428a4712fbc8568a.jpg

Coach-7.jpg.68b2eeba7f17219eddb21f25b940cab0.jpg

Coach-8.jpg.e55087a4fe19e84a6d953ec8a85989ff.jpg

Coach-9.jpg.e46ea881e37f0980a3177e5c8fff9a6d.jpg

These Kirk kits are very good basic kits and recommended to increase the variety of stock available. I have several more to build but with these 2 and a Mk 1 BSK I can muster a 3 car rake of Carmine and Cream stock and I also have the beginings of a Thompson Suburban set with a brake 3rd already built.

Now on to the PVB wagon

Paul R

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

So after finising the Gresley I am now moving on to the PVB.

The photos show what you get.

PVB-1.jpg.ea941881fc26409fe7896c223c9e40ad.jpg

PVB-2.jpg.f08a76428648f26a8c4492b9bbb4dd3f.jpg

PVB-3.jpg.06155a5ff0b917b803190645cd18853c.jpg

PVB-4.jpg.d999d1ab422420a7fe5ad911942758d0.jpg

PVB-5.jpg.654c789e0893e87cc6b496ea5967ef64.jpg

This is the basic kit. I didn't opt for the BRBlue Oleo buffers as I wanted sprung versions so I got some from MM1.

The  problem I have is that the holes in the ends are too big for these

PVB-11.jpg.9c48dca6dc637cb7e86e7948dc5ececb.jpg

My options are to fill the existing and re-drill or get some plastic tube and fit to the exisiting hole to reduce the diameter. I favour the latter.

Transfers from RailTec

PVB-6.jpg.115e011250b22dc08e369a482b248ab6.jpg

Wheels are Peartree Engineering from MM1

PVB-7.jpg.f28abfd4930fe1aef7311dacd8bc4d41.jpg

They come with the necessary brak discs to fit

PVB-9.jpg.532c42426fa91ed906dd0831077928b3.jpg

The final piece is this 1:50 body from a Cararama truck.

PVB-8.jpg.acc3cd296b50a563608c0cf567a33c7c.jpg

This is a bit of a compromise as the number of straps it carries are too many for the wagon. I checked the Corgi alternatives and the same problem is encounterted. There is not much I can do about this unless I commission my own so a compormise it will be.

There are no instructions in then kit but you can contact Simon from BRBlue via Shapeways.

I have started to fit a floor which was not recommended by the manufacturer but I wanted to get some additional strength in the body and provide a base foir some weight, the actual wagon being very light.

PVB-10.jpg.02aa027c400bdc3ac0d9ec4e13467907.jpg

So far I have not found any suitable glue. Liquid Poly doesn't work and neither does Butanone. Simon suggested superglue but I am not keen. I used some Gorilla glue for the first time the other day so may give that a go.

The roof will need a good sand down being laid down in layers. his is not evident on the rest of the body. A resin print would have avaoided this but its not an option.

This doesnt look as if this is going to take that long to build so watch this space.

Paul R

• Like 8

So the floor is fitted but yet to be glued. This is a just a test fit for now.

PVB-12.jpg.d160eb6b0f9367cbb2937dbea3dce4b7.jpg

I have also fitted some plastic tube to the buffer apertures which can be seen in this next photo. These too are not glued in yet.

PVB-13.jpg.2f0d9209c2082b7fd3ca1157ac0a8675.jpg

Also fitted are the bearings. I had to drill out the exisiting holes to 2.5mm and these are a push fit. The wheels have been trial fitted and run well enough.

I also just realised that these wagons are not disc braked so the wheel inserts will not be used.

Paul R

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

2 hours ago, Baggies1961 said:

Adds a great dimension being outdoors Paul, layout looks great and enjoyed the running sessions.

Regards

Julian.

Thanks Julian

The light certainly makes the photos better.

Paul R

• Agree 1

Got the buffers on today. These are from MM1 and are lost wax castings

PVB-14.jpg.9d1c0311cd28e7de8506b61ed2da5932.jpg

I need to enlarge the hole for the coupler and then its on to fitting sides and thats about it!

I tried sanding the roof with wet and dry and it doesnt want to play. Whatever this plastic is its very hard. I think I am going to need a putty primer before the usual painting treatment

kind regards

Paul

• Like 5

Adding some weight to the PVB before I cut the sides

PVB-15.jpg.b1a46740a36e5f13f980813601e1ab2a.jpg

These are lead seals that banks used to use back in the day to seal coin bags. When they were phased out in my area for H and S reasons I had a load of them sent to me for weighting trains!  Just don't use PVA to glue them!. This is Gorilla glue which I haven;'t really used before. I must say when used properly and activated by water it sticks like s**t to a blanket.

I may glue the sides on with this stuff.

There is still not enough weight inside so more seals will be fitted when this lot are properly dry.

Paul R

• Like 2

Right so this is all thats left off the Cararama trailer as far as this kit is concerned!

I now need to cut these to size and affix to the wagon.

PVB-16.jpg.95299416be7d3f342ffb302d2d4ba6bc.jpg

Although they are moulded in the relief on the curtain straps is provided for by tampo printing so some of this may be lost when its primed. They will need to be repainted or gone over with a felt pen to brikng them up once the final coat of red is on.

Paul R

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, pwr said:

This is Gorilla glue which I haven;'t really used before. I must say when used properly and activated by water it sticks like s**t to a blanket.

I've never tried the latter so will take you word for that!

Lead is ridiculously expensive as I discovered when I looked at buying some on eBay! I should know this as my porch roof was nicked and I was too tight to replace it once I got a quote but am annoyed that i didn't keep the few bits they left when they cut round the nails! 

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Hit an unexpected snag with the PVB.

The lead I fixed to the floor of the PVB has caused the solebars to bow out of straight which was unexpected.

So I have removed them for now and placed a weight on the underside and left the model upside down in an attempt to straighten it.

I am sure things will be fine ionce the ridgid sides are glued to the body, a job which is made more difficult I have to say because of the floor! I think I will glue the leaf seals to the inside of the sides as these are unlikely to cause the vehicle to box given they are of hard plastic. These are nearly ready to fit and are broadly cut to shape. Just final finishing off to do. I do however have a nagging feeling that I should have gone for a Corgi curtain sided trailer as the straps are more pronounced due to better moulds. On the down side they would have been more expensive. I might give them a quick go with primer before I fix them in and see how well they look.

More later

Paul R

OK I have had a look at this PVB again.

I am pleased to say the solebars are returning to a straight line so that is working.

I have now decided that the Cararama sides are no good and will need replacing with something from Corgi. Looking on that well now auction side suggests that there are several different mouldings. So I think I will go back down to Train Tinmes Eastbourne when I am down that way next week and see if I can get a cheap  Corgi alternative. If not there are several on Ebay that would suit but some are more expensive than others.  I only need one that has the curtain sides intact and the rest can be as beaten and battered as it comes.

More on this later

Paul R

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So following a successfull bid for a Corgi trailer - along with another I didn't want - I have resumed work on the PVB. This photo sows the cut down sides and you can see the strapping is much more pronounced and won't disappear under a coat of primer!.

PVB-17.jpg.fe4f7e0b40af5ec512e60ff759623bc8.jpg

The top one is not stuck in yet. I am working out the best way to fit the sides into the frame which is stll slightly warped and as you can see from the photo the roof is (and always has been) slightly bulged. It will correct once the sides are glued in although I am sure the print could be modified to include an internal partition to prevent this.

I wll hopefully get them glued in today. I need to then fix a styrene strip piece at the top to represent the curtain runner. After that brake pipes and lamp irons and then it will be ready for painting.

Still not sure if 3D printing is a good thing but some of the resin prints I have seen are pretty good. I am still considering the bogie grainflow wagons and the airbraked modified blues.

This one  is not resin printed and it will be intersting to see how the putty primer I am going to use fills in the roof layers.

Anyhow all for now

Paul R

• Like 4

Finally worked out how I am going to fix the sides and decided to construct a frame in the box by using Liquid poly to fix the bottom, bar to the floor and super glue to fix the uprights. The rest is glued together with liquid poly. Its gone in strongly enough and will give me a good base to fix the sides. You can side how badly warped the roof is but it will close down to the top of the side and once the sides are dry I will glue it down with superglue which does seem to take to this 3D printed plastic very well.

PVB_18.jpg.4f89a744e9ae93f0456678e303c6cc0e.jpg

This next photo shows the side fitted dry to check alignment. Reltively happy with this

PVB_19.jpg.25271818505b06e32511548c1e217d0a.jpg

Once glued in there needs to be  a bar put on the top which in reality would hold the curtain mechanism. It will be a piece of styrene strip.

Right - onwards and upwards. I've just got a VEA van so that needs to be unboxed for display!

Paul R

• Like 5

Roof stuck down now and curtain top affixed

PVB-20.jpg.79a0dd3ee84a20ac1d6a9f8483a86b8f.jpg.

You can see the end hasnt quite taken but thats now been adjusted with more superglue.

Lamp irons also stick on and holes drilled for air pipes. This will be a single pipe fitment rataher than twin.

I've since started to prime it usiing Halfords Putty primer and despite several coats the layers on the roof are stubbornly still there.

I'll keep pressing on.

Paul R

• Like 1