Bachmann H1 Class Atlantic

Edwardian

In that early format La France wasn't vacuum fitted so you need to do a little photoshop tweak.

I've just pre-ordered mine.

Quite literally a tweak to the model, I would have thought, would solve this!

I had not realised they were ready for pre-order.  That's now on today's 'to do' list, thanks.

• Like 1

I'm only going by the few images of 239 in the Jermey English Brighton Atlantics book pub Ian Allen. Not sure when it got vacuum fitted if at all in LBSC guise.

I pre-ordered from Rails. £170 – yikes.

I must steel myself to do likewise. 

I also noticed that a GN-liveried Large Atlantic (different number from the preserved one produced for Locomotion) is to be in the main range and is also available for pre-order for £170.

C1, H1 and H2; bl00dy typical, you wait decades for a RTR OO Atlantic, and then three come along at once!

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 2

The H1 can run on the same track as the GNR one provided you say they are being delivered on the line. Built in Leeds delivery to Brighton line I'll let you fathom out a suitable route!

I must steel myself to do likewise. 

I also noticed that a GN-liveried Large Atlantic (different number from the preserved one produced for Locomotion) is to be in the main range and is also available for pre-order for £170.

C1, H1 and H3; bl00dy typical, you wait decades for a RTR OO Atlantic, and then three come along at once!

Having bought a Locomotion C1 when they came out, supposedly a unique limited edition loco, it doesn't seem long before it has become a main range product. This happened with the Midland compound which was again unique to  Locomotion, then was available in a set which was split to sell a much cheaper loco. However, the main range C1 won't exactly be any cheaper than the Locomotion one, me thinks.

Having bought a Locomotion C1 when they came out, supposedly a unique limited edition loco, it doesn't seem long before it has become a main range product. This happened with the Midland compound which was again unique to  Locomotion, then was available in a set which was split to sell a much cheaper loco. However, the main range C1 won't exactly be any cheaper than the Locomotion one, me thinks.

I grant you, there is a certain ground for dissatisfaction, but this way you can have 2 GN large-boilered C1s, one to run up and the other to run down!

There will be at least one advantage of the main range GN example, Bachmann should paint the splasher tops green, which they failed to do for the Locomotion model.

• Like 1

I grant you, there is a certain ground for dissatisfaction, but this way you can have 2 GN large-boilered C1s, one to run up and the other to run down!

There will be at least one advantage of the main range GN example, Bachmann should paint the splasher tops green, which they failed to do for the Locomotion model.

Good point, I went for a double track layout in my loft so I could see trains passing. And indeed do have several pairs or even trios or above of the same type of loco to see them running past each other on similar trains.  Does suggest an appropriate era as well.

Although there will only be one Stirling single...

• Like 1

Guest spet0114

This is a common misconception. The locomotion models are (generally) exclusives, not limited editions, and have in the main, remained so. The only place that has ever sold DP1, City of Truro, Butler Henderson or 251 has been the NRM or Locomotion. The unfortunate exception of no. 1000 is just that, an exception and I doubt that Locomotion will be in any hurry to repeat it, having gotten a lot of bad press over it.

This is a common misconception. The locomotion models are (generally) exclusives, not limited editions, and have in the main, remained so. The only place that has ever sold DP1, City of Truro, Butler Henderson or 251 has been the NRM or Locomotion. The unfortunate exception of no. 1000 is just that, an exception and I doubt that Locomotion will be in any hurry to repeat it, having gotten a lot of bad press over it.

Yes, I forgot to add, I think we are to have a GC-liveried Director in the main range too.

Guest spet0114

Yes, I forgot to add, I think we are to have a GC-liveried Director in the main range too.

But not Butler Henderson. If you want that, only Locomotion can supply it, though it's currently unavailable.

But not Butler Henderson. If you want that, only Locomotion can supply it, though it's currently unavailable.

Yes, indeed, it is another example illustrating your point. Compound 1000 was the Odd Man Out.  What was the issue with it?

Guest spet0114

Yes, indeed, it is another example illustrating your point. Compound 1000 was the Odd Man Out.  What was the issue with it?

Not sure. My guess is that with DP1 and CoT selling well, they got a bit cocky and ordered a few too many, which then sat on the shelves. Or maybe the fact that it wasn't the first time this loco had been available RTR was a factor? Dunno.

What a brilliant job!

In pedant-mode, I point out that it should be twin monograms, not crests, and that whilst wearing this livery, No.39 would have bogie brakes, which I doubt it would be possible to add to the image [groan at my own rivet-counting].

But that is clever work indeed, and gives a very good idea of what a Bachmann H1, backdated 7 or so years would look like.

You know those people who collect LNER A4s, in all conditions and liveries?   There is potential for one Heck of an H1 and H2 collection at some point!

Along with the GN Large Atlantic, these large, powerful state of the art Edwardian express passenger types are 'modern image' for me!

You are very kind, as are those who let me fiddle with such catalogue pictures.

I have done a version with front bogie brakes, and will re-do the splashers with two monograms, and slightly improve the brass plate on the cabside, all just by editing tools in Paintshop Pro6.  Will put it up later, the image I did was rather rushed because I like to get the basic idea done and then, usually, repair faults and errors, many of which I don't notice for weeks or months or indeed ever. I use as a guide for the pic I have done the 'Boy's Book' version of c1907also in p.1 of this thread.

We are drowning in Atlantics, lovely! 

With photography being our main window on the Victorian and Edwardian age I find myself constantly thinking about how much my concept of history, e.g. WW1 is made from black and white photos. Thank goodness for cigarette cards and post cards.  In the former WW1 cards the British were always 'going over the top' with bayonets out and from memory were mostly brown, the Germans were blue, and the French were a different colour again and had spiked helmets?

With the age of steam being very much of that predominantly black and white photo era, I predict rising interest in Victorian and Edwardian railways, just as there is a great increase in consciousness of WW1.  I was rather odd at school in NZ in the 1960s because I knew where Passchendaele was. NZ lost 1,800 men in one day there, but there were enough survivors of WW1 around that 'it wasn't talked about'. This was on top of Gallipoli, and somewhat akin to Kitchener's Army on the Somme or the French at Verdun.  Even now few seem to realise how close we were to defeat in November 1917.  

With modelling BR steam there are many who lived with the real thing, but obviously the earlier great days of steam, perhaps 1890-1940, well it is more-and-more a case of 'what was it really like'? My own grandfathers lived exactly through that span, one a top link driver, one an electrical engineers, thus I have curiosity about their world.

But I ramble, as ever.  Thanks again for your kind words. I know some on RMweb do not like photo-editing and can understand that it does not make a true representation of a model, nor of the real world.  But then, I have been a photographer since I was a child and quickly learned how to change things in photo images.. 

Cheers 

typo edit 

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 3

You are very kind, as are those who let me fiddle with such catalogue pictures.

I have done a version with front bogie brakes, and will re-do the splashers with two monograms, and slightly improve the brass plate on the cabside, all just by editing tools in Paintshop Pro6.  Will put it up later, the image I did was rather rushed because I like to get the basic idea done and then, usually, repair faults and errors, many of which I don't notice for weeks or months or indeed ever. I use as a guide for the pic I have done the 'Boy's Book' version of c1907also in p.1 of this thread.

We are drowning in Atlantics, lovely! 

With photography being our main window on the Victorian and Edwardian age I find myself constantly thinking about how much my concept of history, e.g. WW1 is made from black and white photos. Thank goodness for cigarette cards and post cards.  In the former WW1 cards the British were always 'going over the top' with bayonets out and from memory were mostly brown, the Germans were blue, and the French were a different colour again and had spiked helmets?

With the age of steam being very much of that predominantly black and white photo era, I predict rising interest in Victorian and Edwardian railways, just as there is a great increase in consciousness of WW1.  I was rather odd at school in NZ in the 1960s because I knew where Passchendaele was. NZ lost 1,800 men in one day there, but there were enough survivors of WW1 around that 'it wasn't talked about'. This was on top of Gallipoli, and somewhat akin to Kitchener's Army on the Somme or the French at Verdun.  Even now few seem to realise how close we were to defeat in November 1917.  

With modelling BR steam there are many who lived with the real thing, but obviously the earlier great days of steam, perhaps 1890-1940, well it is more-and-more a case of 'what was it really like'? My own grandfathers lived exactly through that span, one a top link driver, one an electrical engineers, thus I have curiosity about their world.

But I ramble, as ever.  Thanks again for your kind words. I know some on RMweb do not like photo-editing and can understand that it does not make a true representation of a model, nor of the real world.  But then, I have been a photographer since I was a child and quickly learned how to change things in photo images.. 

Cheers 

typo edit 

But an interesting and erudite ramble, and I greatly admire your skill at Photoshop trickery and the excellent results.  I look forward with eager anticipation to the revised image.

Given your evident propensity for roaming free across topics of interest to you, and given to whence your tastes appear to tend, I would think you would find many like-minded souls on the Castle Aching thread, so perhaps we will be fortunate to see your posts there one day. 

In the meantime, apropos the French in spikey hats and the Germans in blue, it is a good job that you were not on the Western Front in 1917, as I rather fear it was the other way around!

• Like 1

Here as promised, will remove if required

But an interesting and erudite ramble, and I greatly admire your skill at Photoshop trickery and the excellent results.  I look forward with eager anticipation to the revised image.

Given your evident propensity for roaming free across topics of interest to you, and given to whence your tastes appear to tend, I would think you would find many like-minded souls on the Castle Aching thread, so perhaps we will be fortunate to see your posts there one day. 

In the meantime, apropos the French in spikey hats and the Germans in blue, it is a good job that you were not on the Western Front in 1917, as I rather fear it was the other way around!

Ah yes, French in blue, and Germans in grey with spiked helmets!    Forward!

Into the breech...!   Hold at all costs!

An approximation of 1907 locomotive art, and to think, I grew up with 'Pear's Encyclopaedia' and 'The Boy's Wonder Book of Trains'!

post-7929-0-99268500-1515445029_thumb.jpg

Best,

edit, Now I can go and look at Hornby's new wonders, all with a quiet cup of tea.  :)

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 10

Ah yes, French in blue, and Germans in grey with spiked helmets! Forward!

Into the breech...! Hold at all costs!

An approximation of 1907 locomotive art, and to think, I grew up with 'Pear's Encyclopaedia' and 'The Boy's Wonder Book of Trains'!

39_H1_LBSCR_portrait10_5ab_r1200.jpg

Best,

edit, Now I can go and look at Hornby's new wonders, all with a quiet cup of tea. :)

That looks beautiful!

Ah yes, French in blue, and Germans in grey with spiked helmets!    Forward!

Into the breech...!   Hold at all costs!

attachicon.gif39_H1_LBSCR_portrait10_5ab_r1200.jpg

Best,

edit, Now I can go and look at Hornby's new wonders, all with a quiet cup of tea.  :)

Bravo!

... It would be agreeable if Bachmann were to find a way of straightening the kink in the con rods. It is done, I think, to clear the side steps. If the bends were to be made at the ends, they might be less obtrusive but perhaps that wouldn’t allow enough clearance.

It doesn't need the kink in the connecting rods, a simple slight outward bow - which is their usual practise - will suffice*. Perhaps if the potential C/H 1/2 customer group as a whole politely suggest this to Bachmann's representatives on every available occasion, they might be persuaded to this course.

Well worthwhile in my opinion as the mechanism - which I assume will in all essentials be the same on all three - has proved exceptionally good at a slow gliding motion enabling the overwhelming elegance to be fully appreciated: from which the kinky rod does slightly detract.

I suppose it will be the sales of these that will tell Bachmann whether to once more unleash their Centralist tendency for Mr Robinson's classic of the genre. And then there are the very lovely NBR and NER types too going begging. I really want many more of the ordinary, commonplace, ubiquitous, workaday black engines available RTR, but promise not to resist temptation if any as lovely as these dance into view.

*The worst that will happen is that anyone choosing to whang it along at express speed through set track points and curves, may wear a bright patch on the connecting rod where the throw over will sometimes bring it into contact with the smooth rear of the footstep.

Edited by 34theletterbetweenB&D

• RMweb Premium

Reading http://www.semgonline.com/steam/h1-h2_01.html only no. 39 was named by the LB&SCR. It was named 'La France' as per the model. The SR renamed 'La France' to 'Hartland Point' and named the other H1 locos when modified.

From Wikipedia....

H1 class fleet summary [hide]LB&SC Number Built S.R. Number Name B.R. Number Withdrawal 37 December 1905 2037 Selsey Bill 32037 July 1951 38 December 1905 2038 Portland Bill 32038 July 1951 39 January 1906 2039 Hartland Point 32039 February 1951 40 February 1906 2040 St Catherine's PointJanuary 1944 41 February 1906 2041 Peveril PointMarch 1944

• RMweb Gold

From Wikipedia....

H1 class fleet summary [hide]LB&SC Number Built S.R. Number Name B.R. Number Withdrawal 37 December 1905 2037 Selsey Bill 32037 July 1951 38 December 1905 2038 Portland Bill 32038 July 1951 39 January 1906 2039 Hartland Point 32039 February 1951 40 February 1906 2040 St Catherine's PointJanuary 1944 41 February 1906 2041 Peveril PointMarch 1944

Bear in mind also that, in 1947, No.2039 became the guinea pig for the cylinders and valves being developed for the Leader class locos. 

John

Guest spet0114

...I grew up with 'Pear's Encyclopaedia'....

At risk of excessive pedantry; it's Pears' Cyclopedia. Unless you grew up with an unnatural fruit obsession.... :-)

Edited by spet0114
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hamilton Ellis, in his history of the LBSCR, supposed that names after headlands were “alright”, but that Portland Bill sounded like a guest of Government in Dorset. I have never been to Portland, although my (English) near neighbour here in France moved there a couple of years ago. I am unlikely to be invited to visit, and pics of the place do not inspire.

Never mind the names, these look marvelous.

• Like 2