I'd certainly prefer a green closer to that found on Hornby's Maunsells to be used on BR green releases of these coaches rather than the odd very dark shade Bachmann adopted a few years ago for southern region mark 1 vehicles, particularly given that I assume sets of both would have regularly appeared with each other.

Bachmann also used the dark green on the last batch of old-style Bulleids they released, and on the BR GUV. I agree with you in the hope they'll use the same green as Hornby, or, indeed, the greens they used on their SR EMU stock (CEP/EPB/MLV).

• RMweb Gold

I'd certainly prefer a green closer to that found on Hornby's Maunsells to be used on BR green releases of these coaches rather than the odd very dark shade Bachmann adopted a few years ago for southern region mark 1 vehicles, particularly given that I assume sets of both would have regularly appeared with each other.

The most recent batches of their old Bulleids used the dark shade too.

I had an argument with someone who is now quite important at Bachmann.

He tried to assure me that Southern Region loco hauled coaches were a darker

shade of green than the EMU's.

Absolute tosh !, both were the same shade.

All the time that Bachmann believe the above to be true, we'll be offered dark green loco hauled stock.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I had an argument with someone who is now quite important at Bachmann.

He tried to assure me that Southern Region loco hauled coaches were a darker

shade of green than the EMU's.

Absolute tosh !, both were the same shade.

All the time that Bachmann believe the above to be true, we'll be offered dark green loco hauled stock.

Not surprising, Bachmann haven't, over most of their history, had very much to do with Southern prototypes.

John

Hope they do the following in Maroon with black ends.

SC 1466, 71,79, 82, 84, 89, 95, 98, 1500, 02 & 04 S. (open 3rd's?).

These were transferred to Scotland in the 1960's and the SR had to paint them Maroon before transfer.

Info from Google Coach Group.

Edited by andytrains
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Graham,

Do you know which shade of green Bachmann are proposing to use for the BR (S) green vehicles?

I have raised the issue / my opinion with Bachmann and we shall have to wait and see, that's all I can say for now, it will ultimately be their decision taking into account their previous releases and standpoint I am sure.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I'm afraid you've lost me.

According to my drawings, the Brake Composites for the two-coach sets had a lavatory, 4 x third class compartments, 2 x first class compartments and a guard/luggage compartment.  The Brake Composites for loose working had exactly the same accommodation but the lavatory was situated in the middle of the coach between the third class compartments and the centre doorway.

The dimensions were the same in both vehicles, the only difference being the placement of the lavatory.

Comments deleted 'cos wrong!

Edited by Phatbob

Not surprising, Bachmann haven't, over most of their history, had very much to do with Southern prototypes.

John

Others may disagree, but to my eyes the shade of green Bachmann used on the 4 CEP

is about right for all BR(S) green coaching stock. And possibly the best match achieved by any RTR manufacturer.

• RMweb Gold

I'm afraid not.  The drawings for the loose BCK (Diagram 2406) show a side corridor throughout. Ref. An Illustrated History of Southern Coaches by Mike King, Pages 148 and 149.

The drawings in "Bulleid Coaches in 4mmm Scale" (S.W.Stevens-Stratten) also show both variants had side corridors throughout, the only noticeable difference between them being the location of the lavatory. 

• RMweb Gold

I'm afraid not.  The drawings for the loose BCK (Diagram 2406) show a side corridor throughout. Ref. An Illustrated History of Southern Coaches by Mike King, Pages 148 and 149.

Thanks Nigel.  You are quite correct.  It would appear that the kit-built Diag 2406 BCK I have is the source of my error.  The 3rd class part is open.  Foolish of me to assume that it would be correct.  Oops!  :dontknow:

Not sure If I missed it, but I was sure in the first announcement we got there were only 3 malachite green coaches to be released, but now it looks like there are 4 the new one looks to be 34-725A and 34-725. It's showing up this way on the hattons website. Are there now 4 or is there a mistake somewhere?

Not sure If I missed it, but I was sure in the first announcement we got there were only 3 malachite green coaches to be released, but now it looks like there are 4 the new one looks to be 34-725A and 34-725. It's showing up this way on the hattons website. Are there now 4 or is there a mistake somewhere?

There are 2 brakes so normal that there are 2 coaches in the same sequence number.

• RMweb Gold

The Southern ran these coaches in sets of 3 and/or 5* on the West of England line. Because there was a brake at either end and new sets were formed as they emerged from the works, each set got a consecutively numbered pair.

John  

*Formations were BTK+CK+BTK and BTK+TK+CK+TK+BTK respectively.

There were also some "Seasonal" sets that ran as 3-sets in winter but were made up to five for the summer. 

Edited by Dunsignalling

• RMweb Gold

Jack

As has been stated above there are four actual coaches being released in malachite, three to make up set 790 with Southern branding (BTK - CK - BTK) the two semi open brake thirds having the correct different coach numbers, hence 34-725A and 34-725, and a 'loose' Corridor Third in malachite but without Southern Branding as they were introduced in 1948 once again the releases are fully detailed here https://grahammuz.com/2018/01/07/Bachmann-2018-19-range-announcements-includes-new-tooled-lbsc-h1-and-bulleid-63ft-coaching-stock-in-00/

Edited by Graham_Muz

• RMweb Premium

Hope they do the following in Maroon with black ends.

SC 1466, 71,79, 82, 84, 89, 95, 98, 1500, 02 & 04 S. (open 3rd's?).

These were transferred to Scotland in the 1960's and the SR had to paint them Maroon before transfer.

Info from Google Coach Group.

I have recently painted an N Gauge version in maroon and all the colour pictures I have seen of these show maroon ends, not black. Edited by John M Upton
  • Like 1

Sorry I've missed much of this thread but if you want to know what Southern Railway malachite green SHOULD look like tune into BBC2 at 6.30 tonight ....... the IOWSR coaches on Michael Portaloo's into are as correct as your telly's going to get and a lot bluer than any tin of model paint currently available from the trade - it's generally accepted that BRSR green was intended to match this colour darkened with a few layers of varnish.

• RMweb Premium

My N scale maroon Bulleid:

post-6910-0-98580900-1515685068_thumb.jpg

A 'Rule 1' purchase as they all went earlier than my modelling period but I liked the Farish model so much that I decided to invent a story of one after withdrawal being retained by the local Civil Engineers Department on my little branch line hence the inaccurate BR Blue era white TOPS numerals (didn't have any earlier type anyway!).

• Like 1

My N scale maroon Bulleid:

attachicon.gifMaroonBul01.jpg

A 'Rule 1' purchase as they all went earlier than my modelling period but I liked the Farish model so much that I decided to invent a story of one after withdrawal being retained by the local Civil Engineers Department on my little branch line hence the inaccurate BR Blue era white TOPS numerals (didn't have any earlier type anyway!).

If the Civils gave it a DS70XXX number they'd not have bothered to source any old fashioned transfers, would they !!?!

• RMweb Premium

Probably not no. It may even have been stencilled on over a black patch. I actually put the coaching stock number SC1482S on this one as I might let it sneak out in service when no one is looking....

Thank you for your very useful information Graham.

Question---will the open third follow in due course--it is mentioned but not defined.

Also is it realistic to add the forthcoming Hornby kitchen diner first to set 847 to make for a  Lon W. --Bournemouth rake?

(in the absence of a Bournemouth dining set)

best regards,

Ed

From further reading it would appear ok to add the new Hornby Maunsell kitchen /diner first in BR green livery + the new Hornby Maunsell  open third in cr. and cream to the Bachmann set 847 (in cr. and cream). The new Hornby pair were used as loose coaches and may well have formed a not improbable rake. I know the odd green coach might attract the eye but???.

I am trying to form a realistic Lon W. to Bournemouth train circa 1954-7 but with dining facilities--the Bomo 6 car dining sets being outside my creativity.

Ed

From further reading it would appear ok to add the new Hornby Maunsell kitchen /diner first in BR green livery + the new Hornby Maunsell  open third in cr. and cream to the Bachmann set 847 (in cr. and cream). The new Hornby pair were used as loose coaches and may well have formed a not improbable rake. I know the odd green coach might attract the eye but???.

I am trying to form a realistic Lon W. to Bournemouth train circa 1954-7 but with dining facilities--the Bomo 6 car dining sets being outside my creativity.

Ed

There is nothing unrealistic about what you propose, Ed. There were many trains with mixed liveries in that time period, and even into the earlier 1960s.

There is nothing unrealistic about what you propose, Ed. There were many trains with mixed liveries in that time period, and even into the earlier 1960s.

...... and beyond : I don't think there's been any time since when everything was the same colour on any particular line - except for a while in the blue/grey era, perhaps ...........

That's true ... and when BR realised how boring and drab it was having everything uniformly liveried, the next lot of variations started appearing (large logo, executive livery, etc.). That's not to say the blue/grey was bad, just that once there was so little variation, it became boring (for want of a better term). Notwithstanding that, the blue and blue/grey era liveries lasted longer than just about any other, apart from GWR chocolate and cream coaches and green locos (I'm not counting wagon liveries here as they tended to get very weatherbeaten so had lots of variations even when ostensibly all in one colour scheme!).

Edited by SRman

• RMweb Gold

If you fancy a mix of types and liveries try this one on a train from Kent to the West Midlands in the late 1950s.

There's probably a Bulleid in there somewhere amongst the high and low Maunsells and Mk1s.

Edited by TheSignalEngineer