Minix (and other) car improvements

quicksilvercoaches

This is my mild upgrade of the stuff of legend that is the Minix Vauxhall Cresta PB Friary estate.

Replaced the wheels with those from the Oxford Humber Super Snipe as their track and diameter are almost identical.

Painted the chrome below the front and rear bumpers a darker version of body colour to tone down and bring closer to the prototype.

I haven’t touched the front indicators as they’re colourless on the photos of real ones online, which surprised me as I expected to need to do them orange.

I touched in the rear lights red. Didn’t do the chrome surround in case I ruined it! The ones online showed the indicators on the inner face of the light clusters - looks wrong so I’ve left it all red.

The seats and glazing are welded to the body so the interior and body will not receive any painting.

I will add number plates at some point.

Not as in depth or drastic as my usual upgrades but there aren’t the huge backups like with the ubiquitous Anglo etc!

The body is unfastened from the base hence the gap at the front where I didn’t push it down fully for the photo. It was a delicate affair separating them!

• Like 1

With recent talk of Minix models I felt it was opportune to show some of my own efforts to bring some of these up to modern standards, albeit nowhere near the scale of 'CHARD's incredible undertaking. I still think the body mouldings are superb but were really let down by the terrible wheels, particularly on the later ones with black wheels and bases, but the availability of cheap diecasts makes it easy to sort that out

The Anglia and 1100 were the first two I acquired about 15 years ago as painted shells with no glazing or wheels. These both have parts from Cararama Minis, back when they were commonplace. They're showing their age a bit now.

attachicon.gifGOP726E.jpg

attachicon.gifAPJ840B.jpg

My next attempt was a Triumph 2000 into a Mark 1 2.5 PI using bits from the Oxford Mark 2. Painted Ford Purple Velvet so not authentic but I like it.

attachicon.gifGJH490G.jpg

attachicon.gifGJH490G1.jpg

attachicon.gifGJH490G_MYK165P.jpg

This Victor is my favourite. Transformed from one of the horrible black-wheeled models with Oxford FB Victor wheels.

attachicon.gifMinixVictor.jpg

attachicon.gifHDA451D.jpg

attachicon.gifHDA451D1.jpg

LHD Simca. An unusual choice for a UK company. Again this has Cararama Mini wheels.

attachicon.gifYTA194E.jpg

attachicon.gifYTA194E1.jpg

Landcrab. This still has the original wheels but spaced out to the correct width and painted.

attachicon.gifDOX239C.jpg

attachicon.gifDOX239C1.jpg

Corsair with Cortina wheels and interior. I slipped up here as it's supposed to be a 2000E but I realised too late that version doesn't have the chrome side strip (odd that the posh one has less chrome than lesser models).

attachicon.gifTHP200H.jpg

My most ambitious conversion so far. I used to own a Triumph Dolomite and always wanted a model of it, then one day I was looking at a Minix Triumph 2000 and realised with a bit of chopping and changing I might be able to make a passable Dolomite.

attachicon.gifMWL737W2.jpg

attachicon.gifMWL737W1.jpg

attachicon.gifMWL737W.jpg

As the current owner of an Austin Maxi, for my next trick I intend to try converting a Landcrab into a Maxi using the front end of a Mark 2 Cortina.

Nice conversions!

Putting a thin wash of black over those silver grilles would give them a bit of depth.

steve

Black chassis Victors are rare; At an exhibition in Kent I was told by someone who said they'd worked for Hornby, that when it was obvious the Triumph 2000 tool wouldn't last much longer (this would have been the early 1980s) the factory re-ran the other tools to see which would be the best short-term replacement while the Ford Sierra (a terrible model who's only redeeming feature was that it screwed together) was tooled up. In the end they chose the Sunbeam Alpine (Hattons still have them at £1 each).

Anyway, here's just a few I've detailed/repainted/mucked about with:

wNfIx4G.jpg

Ironically a Triumph Mk.I converted to a Mk.II, but I did do it over 30 years ago, long before the Oxford model was even dreamed of. Might finish it one day...

Hattons Sunbeam Alpine now down to 50p a throw.........  :)

I have/had one, with a silver chassis.....

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

That BL 1300 GT looks just right.

Wondered why the Minx is bigger than the Corsair though as I'm pretty sure they weren't in real life.

steve

The models are very accurate, the Minx looking larger is just the effect of the camera lens. In fact the Minx is a bit shorter than the Corsair but a tad taller, as per prototype. (I have both models and compared them side by side.)

That BL 1300 GT looks just right.

Thanks, Steve. It's right at the back too, having the revised, cut-back tailfins whereas Oxford modelled the Mk.I tailfins at the back and the GT Mk.II/III size grille at the front. The MINIX model comes, of course, with Mk.I tailfins since there were no Mk.II or III versions when it was tooled, but it's plastic and easy to alter.

The revised tail lights lived on for many years on the back of FX4 taxis.

Here's one of those cheap Alpines after conversion to a Tiger convertible. The solid black "glass" had to go, and I decided to go the topless route and fitted a trimmed-down Cararama Morgan interior and alloy wheels from their Capri (or was it the Lotus Europa?). It may not be 100% correct, but still an improvement on the Hornby/Minix offering.

post-26971-0-55024100-1529706556_thumb.jpg

post-26971-0-63491700-1529706605_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

Here's one of those cheap Alpines after conversion to a Tiger convertible. The solid black "glass" had to go, and I decided to go the topless route and fitted a trimmed-down Cararama Morgan interior and alloy wheels from their Capri (or was it the Lotus Europa?). It may not be 100% correct, but still an improvement on the Hornby/Minix offering.

Great conversion. The wheels are the Capri ones. Is it based on a real example?

• Like 2

Don't like to be hyper critical of such a fine conversion but Tigers had a chrome strip along the side...

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/ba/Sunbeam_Tiger(3).jpg/1200px-Sunbeam_Tiger(3).jpg

steve

Your picture appears to show a Mk1 and a Mk11 side by side. With and without the chrome strip, different grill and lights etc.

Don't like to be hyper critical of such a fine conversion but Tigers had a chrome strip along the side...

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/ba/Sunbeam_Tiger%283%29.jpg/1200px-Sunbeam_Tiger%283%29.jpg

steve

Hi Steve (and others) - you're right about the trims, and to be honest, I was going to alter the grille to the mesh type, but never got around to it. Maybe some day.....!

Yes I particularly like the pick ups specially the GPO  compressor truck , probably the only MID ENGINED van  as the Fordson diesel in the back powered the van also.

Quite correct, this arrangement also allowed the Powertruc to seat three abreast in the cab.

I finally managed to get my hands on one of the elusive Lima Fiat 131s, all the way from Barcelona. First impressions: better than the Capri as it has glazing and interior but suffers from the same issues with the wheels/axles, and it reminds me a lot of the later black base Minix. With a bit of paint and some attention to the wheels it should scrub up well. A lot of people quote this as being HO scale but it's about the same size as the Oxford Marina and looks OO to me.

post-16790-0-27155400-1530294756_thumb.jpg

post-16790-0-07216000-1530294768_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

I finally managed to get my hands on one of the elusive Lima Fiat 131s, all the way from Barcelona. First impressions: better than the Capri as it has glazing and interior but suffers from the same issues with the wheels/axles, and it reminds me a lot of the later black base Minix. With a bit of paint and some attention to the wheels it should scrub up well. A lot of people quote this as being HO scale but it's about the same size as the Oxford Marina and looks OO to me.

attachicon.gifFiat_131.jpg

attachicon.gifFiat_131_1.jpg

I've just spotted a brace of these on E-bay with a 7.50 Euro start price and only 14 hours to go. So far I'm the only bidder so fingers crossed.

The interior moulding is actually the same one as used in the Capri. I cut the front and rear seats apart and shortened the parcel shelf to get the correct spacing. There were several changes to these over the years; the Lima model represents the earliest front, but later models had large, rectangular headlights. Back in the '80s I took several photos of the different fronts and rears with the aim of detailing the Lima models. I'll try to find them. The rear lights are a mould compromise, but are easily altered to the 'T' shape. to match the early front. I painted mine in Fiat Pippin Red which is a sort of maroonish colour.

Like the Capri it comes as a 'low rider'! Lifting it to the proper height makes a big improvement even if you reuse the original wheels.

Well, perhaps it was an intention! I could only find a photo of the rear of the third variant of tail-lights as shown here:

post-1877-0-59933400-1530375925.jpg

This had a front like this. In between the first twin headlight type as modelled by Lima* was the second (and probably the most common) series with a front headlight/grille like this combined with tail-lights like these.

* though with errors on the rear lights as noted in my previous post.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I've just spotted a brace of these on E-bay with a 7.50 Euro start price and only 14 hours to go. So far I'm the only bidder so fingers crossed.

I've won them but note to self. >> Check the postage before you bid! 13 Euros, almost twice what I paid for them. :banghead: About £18 in all.

I've won them but note to self. >> Check the postage before you bid! 13 Euros, almost twice what I paid for them. :banghead: About £18 in all.

Just as well you you did not see these . Look at the postage   https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINTAGE-LIMA-HO-OO-Scale-Model-Railway-lot-of-4x-Plastic-Cars-Accessories/282837623438?hash=item41da6fa28e:g:T84AAOSwXtNaeZQp