009 quarry micro (Cule's Quarry)

Entry now submitted and thread title edited to include the layout's actual name. It will be at the Kettering exhibition tomorrow along with some of my other micro layouts and dioramas including my other CBC The Visitor. At the last minute some carefully applied conductive paint ( https://www.bareconductive.com/ ) seems to have cured the point issues but tomorrow I shall see how effective it really is. Details of the exhibition here: http://www.kdmrs.org.uk/exhibition18.htm .

Edited by 009 micro modeller

The carbon based conductive paint worked brilliantly. The black bit close to the rails shows where it has been applied - not too obtrusive compared to metallic conductive paints. It effectively allows the underside as well as the edge of the rail to be used for electrical contact. Care should be taken not to apply too much and create a permanent short, and to build up the necessary thickness carefully.post-33493-0-84318800-1537270720_thumb.jpgpost-33493-0-60476400-1537270769_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Entry now submitted and thread title edited to include the layout's actual name. It will be at the Kettering exhibition tomorrow along with some of my other micro layouts and dioramas including my other CBC The Visitor.

Can’t say too much yet as I need to confirm a few details but seems I’ve been invited to do this again next year - very happy as it was a great show and fortunately all my layouts behaved for the duration.

• 8 months later...

A small update - this layout, along with some of my other micro layouts and dioramas (including my other CBC), is confirmed for the Kettering & District MRS show at Greenfields School in Kettering on 14th September. I’m not sure I will find time to build anything for this year’s cake box challenge but if I do then that will also feature. Details here: http://kdmrs.org.uk/exhibition19.htm

It’s listed as ‘Micro Layouts’ under ‘other scales’ instead of ‘009’ because not all the others are 009.

Edited by 009 micro modeller
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

All packed now and ready for the exhibition. Unfortunately, I forgot to take any photos of testing the layout. It’s now been slightly altered to use a Minitrains controller, which should make operating from the front easier as it is handheld on a long cable. The first photo shows the new battery holder with integral switch, meaning that the box lights can be switched off without removing the battery. Annoyingly it has the switch and removable cover on opposite sides so it can’t be glued down, so instead it’s held on with Velcro so that the battery can be easily changed. B8EC3D0A-1511-4DF3-974C-FF97813CDA48.jpeg.5862a49b5045e9291bae6a0f6ba93675.jpeg

The other photo is the back of the cake box scenic section, inside the display box. The yellow piece of card is necessary because I can’t get my loading tool to a suitably high angle to get the gravel in the chute when it’s in the display box. If I’d thought of the display box idea from the start I could have avoided this issue, although the card works well until a more permanent solution can be sorted out. The point problems came back the other day as well but have now been fixed with more conductive paint - at least this happened before the exhibition rather than at it.

B4AE1BE7-C5EE-4C3C-A177-425C16065A04.jpeg.4661cfb045dd0ab72c832498a5e064bd.jpeg

• Like 1