GWR 74xx Pannier Tank from 64xx - What's Different?

• RMweb Gold

Around the bit of the Black Country where my layout project is set there were quite a lot of branches and Private Sidings requiring small engines. Some of the Auto Trains were worked by 64xx tanks so Bachmann filled the gap there for me, especially as one of the regular performers was a lined green specimen from the original batch as modelled by Bachmann. As yet Bachmann haven't announced any plans to do the later 64xx or 74xx.

My problem is that Stourbridge Junction and Tyseley had some 74xx tanks throughout most of the life of the class and these weren't quite the same as the Bachmann model. Some of the main differences from the outside view were

1. The cab roof is flush back and front, no overhang
  2. The corner between the bunker and back of the cab is square rather than rounded, with no beading on the cab
  3. No Auto Working fittings
  4. Some were ATC fitted, others were not.
  5. Lever reverser in place of screw reverser
  6. The grab rails on the side of the tanks are different.
  7. Different brake hanger fittings.

I decided that 1-6 were quite easy to achieve but 7 is a bit more difficult and not really that visible from the layout viewpoint and when covered in frame muck.

So,

Episode 1 - What does a Bachmann 64xx look like when you start pulling bits off? 

Answer

post-9767-0-18098600-1516488808_thumb.jpg

Bachmann 64xx Part Knocked Down.

Coming soon

Episode 2 - Taking the knife to the cab

• RMweb Gold

Also, the Bachman 64xx has splashers of a size to suit a 54xx. Do you intend to provide new ones?

Geoff Forster showed how: his blog has gone, but due to the RSS feed, some can still be read - scroll down slightly.

http://llangunllo1.rssing.com/chan-51234596/all_p3.html?q=74xx&site=rssing.com

• RMweb Gold

Also, the Bachman 64xx has splashers of a size to suit a 54xx. Do you intend to provide new ones?

Geoff Forster showed how: his blog has gone, but due to the RSS feed, some can still be read - scroll down slightly.

http://llangunllo1.rssing.com/chan-51234596/all_p3.html?q=74xx&site=rssing.com

I looked at the splashers, but I'm not sure about whether to change them. Besides, if I do them I would have to do my 6400 as well. Looking at various drawings and pictures I think the Bachmann ones are about 1mm too high. When I put my measurements onto the loco I started to think that other bits may be dimensionally challenged in that area so overall I have held back on that. 

• Like 1

If you can, try and get hold of the February 2016 copy of Railway Modeller. There's a good four page step by step article showing what to do to convert a 64xx to 74xx.

If memory serves me there was more detail on the blog than appeared in the article.

Khris

I looked at the splashers, but I'm not sure about whether to change them. Besides, if I do them I would have to do my 6400 as well. Looking at various drawings and pictures I think the Bachmann ones are about 1mm too high. When I put my measurements onto the loco I started to think that other bits may be dimensionally challenged in that area so overall I have held back on that. 

Don't forget you've gotta take into consideration such things as material thickness, and wheel movement; both of which, scale wise, are bigger than the real thing. And of course, is 1mm worth the hassle?

• RMweb Gold

Don't forget you've gotta take into consideration such things as material thickness, and wheel movement; both of which, scale wise, are bigger than the real thing.

Always an issue, but the spatial relationship between items is more important than precise measurements.

And of course, is 1mm worth the hassle?

Entirely personal decision: Geoff (EM) thought so, Tom (00) didn’t.

I think if the Model is being converted to EM or P4 - particularly the latter - then it is worth doing, but because of the issues you mention above, it is a 50:50 thing for 00. Tasks 1 to 6 in the OP are certainly more important to creating the correct impression, at least initially.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

If I was working in EM or P4 I would change the splashers, but as it's 00 I'm leaving them. It looks as if there would be enough clearance especially if fabricated from brass sheet but the way the body is made the original ones will be a ### to remove cleanly.

Having studied a couple of hundred pictures of 54/64/74xx there are plenty of minor differences between individual locos. I know its difficult to judge from old photos but looking at perspective lines either all of the splashers are not identical within class or there are differences in the pipework in front of the cab. The difference in their perceived size between freshly painted and five years of grot plus the ambient light is big. Some seem small and almost hidden whilst others jump out at the front of the picture.

• RMweb Gold

Given such thorough thoughtfulness, I could not see you ever regretting the decision!

But mostly I wanted to say how much I like your avatar. Getting hard to find mild nowadays!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

But mostly I wanted to say how much I like your avatar. Getting hard to find mild nowadays!

Ansells Mild was destroyed at the time of the closure of the Aston Cross brewery by Allied Breweries during a strike in 1981. I understand they tried to move the yeast but it got contaminated, probably missing the cleansing nature of the vinegar based atmosphere of the atmosphere of Aston. That combined with the Aston well water probably gave it a robust character, the Burton version was not the same. Carlsberg have done a keg version using several different breweries but I haven't tried that incarnation, and they abandoned their attempt to do a cask conditioned version about six years ago.

• RMweb Gold

Funny you should say that, started my drinking days in small pubs that only sold Mild on tap, at the time became very partial to Highgate Mild. :sungum:

A piece of history from my days of chasing trains and working around the West Midlands. Another I remember was Holdens, a 4th generation family concern who have a brewery at Woodsetton. They owned about a dozen pubs and was also sold to the free house and club trade. After Ansells closed our tennis club bar bought its supplies through Holdens and as I was on the committee I managed to keep a supply close at hand.

• 7 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Come on you should try a little bit of sado masochism, it might not be fun but you will enjoy it in the end.

30524701423_e22befb068_z_d.jpg

The end results of a bit of rough trade are worth it.

38750374625_4ea3deaa6f_z_d.jpg

I can see that you've removed the top feed, but I'm struggling to make out whether the splashers have also been replaced.