The case for CIWL Night Sleeper Coaches

• RMweb Premium

On the face of it one could be forgiven for thinking these coaches would be a 'niche' product; however we are in times where niche locos, coaches and wagons abound. We now have a number of locos either in or coming to the market that, locos like the Cl71, forthcoming Lord Nelson, and othe SR locos would all grace these coaches. I believe there would be plenty of takers given how well some of these locos sell and will almost certainly sell. The current availability is limited to one product in OO and HO examples really do not look right. I believe Hornby could be on to a winner producing these, or perhaps a retail commission.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

On the face of it one could be forgiven for thinking these coaches would be a 'niche' product; however we are in times where niche locos, coaches and wagons abound. We now have a number of locos either in or coming to the market that, locos like the Cl71, forthcoming Lord Nelson, and othe SR locos would all grace these coaches. I believe there would be plenty of takers given how well some of these locos sell and will almost certainly sell. The current availability is limited to one product in OO and HO examples really do not look right. I believe Hornby could be on to a winner producing these, or perhaps a retail commission.

I quite agree. Remember that all the Bulleid Pacific classes are also suitable and double-headed 4-4-0s, too. Perhaps an updated 'L1' model........ (CJL)

• Like 5

I think that, as Hornby have pictured CIWL coaches behind the class LN on the front of the new catalogue, the chances of them producing a Wagons-Lit sleeping car are very good.  Just need some luggage vans to run with it.

Have an E1, L1, WC/BB, KA diesel and HA electric all waiting................

Oops forgot the JA electro-diesel!

Dave Solley

Edited by davesol
  • Like 2

On the face of it one could be forgiven for thinking these coaches would be a 'niche' product...

Let's face it, the Pullman car is niche product in the context of all the coaches on the steam worked railway, yet Hornby have produced four different varieties of cars (or five if the 5-Bel trailers are included) and they wouldn't be doing that if the sales were poor. As such a Night Ferry wagon-lits and matching fourgon looks like a winner. Attractive of itself - no other UK stock of similar appearance - and with a growing selection of suitable authentic traction. Then there are naughty people like me, who might think 'that wouldn't half look well with a Blue Streamliner on the front'...

• Like 2

In a world where the poor commuter on the western still has to make do with airfix grade B sets and autocoaches a run of CIWL coaches for the Southern are obviously a much higher priority.

It's enough to make any fair minded person vote Labour. I'm sure Jeremy Corbin promised to legislate for the mandatory introduction of ex GWR non corridor stock in the last Labour manifesto

• Funny 3

In a world where the poor commuter on the western still has to make do with airfix grade B sets and autocoaches a run of CIWL coaches for the Southern are obviously a much higher priority.

It's enough to make any fair minded person vote Labour. I'm sure Jeremy Corbin promised to legislate for the mandatory introduction of ex GWR non corridor stock in the last Labour manifesto

The well-off are more profitable, luxury coaches will be a priority!

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

It's enough to make any fair minded person vote Labour. I'm sure Jeremy Corbiyn promised to legislate for the mandatory introduction of ex GWR non corridor stock in the last Labour manifesto

Long ago but well remembered failure of solidarity there, when the majority had no such choices at all, and there was non-fraternal smugness radiating from points West. Committee have decided all such debts have to be paid in full, on the basis of three deprivations each of over thirty years. So that'll be 2100 for GWR non-gangwayed then.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

I was leaning towards Labour anyway, but this has clinched it.

Edited by Downer

• RMweb Gold

Niche is no bar these days, as you say. How many different versions of 0415 are there? Yet in my lifetime they were pretty much confined to one short branch line. Ditto the 0298, which seldom pulled anything but china clay wagons - a bit limiting, you might think. And on the passenger front, Hornby continues to promote Brighton Belle vehicles, which did very little other than shuttle up and down one short main line. So wagons lit would seem to have a lot more "availability" than those I have mentioned.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

A Night Ferry carriage is preserved on the Bluebell

http://www.bluebell-railway.co.uk/bluebell/pics/ciwl3801.html

Anything that has a Bluebell Railway connection sells well.

NRM collectors can also be satisfied as well, because one exists in the National Collection

http://www.nrm.org.uk/ourcollection/locomotivesandrollingstock/CollectionItem?objid=1978-7047&cat=carriages&comp=All&ipp=12

I'd advocate Hornby adding a Night Ferry carriage to their range based solely on these two examples quoted above.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Pure elegant nostalgia...post of the month....coming into Victoria on a Southern suburban emu and seeing them in the carriage sheds after their "glamorous" cross channel journey.Another world,another age.Will we ever see them in 4mm form.?

Alas somewhat removed from 'elegant' by the time of its final decade and a pretty rough shunt to get the coaches off the boat at Dunkerque in my experience was any guide.  But definitely a travel experience of a very special kind which contributed to a gap of almost exactly two decades between my first and second through rail journeys between London and Paris with the same destination station on the French side but, of course, starting from two different stations on the British side.

How about a train ferry vessel in 4mm scale? Oh yes please! It might not fit in my Smart For 2 though 'cos it would have to be rather big to carry at least two 4-car rakes to make a reasonable train.

A radio controlled canoe or punt might suffice!!!?

Tod

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

An interesting prospect+, it reminds me I really need to blow the dust of this one and make some further progress towards completion.

post-6793-0-24737000-1516728934_thumb.jpg

Somewhere I also have a pair of the Playcraft (Jouef) HO night ferry sleepers.

• Like 6