sem34090

• RMweb Premium

I'm surprised we even got that much, I wasnt expecting anything except maybe a few re-liveries.

Well I did expect the Hornby link up, in whatever form, would restrict Oxford Rail in the future, but I did expect some things to have been in development and be announced . An 86 for instance.

Maybe this is the Oxford Rail future ie  niche products , which I think the gun  certainly is .

Guest Midland Mole @ Footplate

I commend Oxford for NOT announcing much. They already have a good number of items on the table and it would be pointless for them to then go and announce a raft of new ones. That last thing they want to do as a smaller company is get bogged down with the issues Bachmann have had these last few years of items piling up. Bachmann are trying to reduce the backlog and It looks like Oxford are taking the sensible approach to not fall into the same trap.

They are playing it safe, and at the same time have announced an item that took us all by surprise and (as others have said) will appeal to people who don't even have a suitable layout. I can see these selling very well.

Alex

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Three disappointing announcements in a row, as far as I'm concerned, but I'm not exactly surprised. All the manufacturers are heading into the Land of Niche, where the choice is wide, and the chances of any one person receiving their heart's desire must be less than they used to be. 

... Maybe this is the Oxford Rail future ie  niche products , which I think the gun  certainly is .

Is that a "niche product"?

I imagine that it could be a firm favourite for those modellers who model for fun rather than prototypical accuracy. Collectors too. Do we know what proportion of the market is made up of those people, rather than those of us who are wedded to accuracy?

As soon as I saw the photo it made me smile (in a good way) - which, if that's the reaction of many of us, suggests it might sell rather well?

Paul

• Like 2

Something to go with their military vehicles, but I'm rather more excited about the ROD Dean Goods: I will probably try and get hold of both for a little project I have planned.

Good to go with the Bachmann ROD New-Tooling variants too... and it's pre-grouping!

The MK3 coaches are starting to look quite odd in the range, being the only modern stock they have produced and with nothing to haul them.

Given what Oxford said about having a joined up plan and not to release random stock, I'm surprised we still haven't seen them release something to haul the Mk3 coaches.

the chances of any one person receiving their heart's desire must be less than they used to be. 

To be honest, in my heart of hearts, I always knew that Kate Winslet hand-delivering a 4LAV to my door was little more than a pipe dream. 

All the manufacturers seem to have decided that there is money in war - I suppose it is joined up thinking of a sort but it is quite niche.

There's been a few anniversaries around recently, to justify those releases though. Didn't something relevant happen 100 years ago this year?

Edited by truffy

• RMweb Premium

There's been a few anniversaries around recently, to justify those releases though. Didn't something relevant happen 100 years ago this year?

Votes for women? The peace to end all peace?

Edited by Downer

Agree on the timing, which is entirely justifiable IMHO but I see it more as a gimmick for collectors than anything else - or perhaps as a toy?

(Edited to add that its announcement is apparently timed with the London toy fair, rather than, for example, Warley, which is a model railway event. (My italics in both cases). 

Edited by olivegreen

• RMweb Premium

To be honest, in my heart of hearts, I always knew that Kate Winslet hand-delivering a 4LAV to my door was little more than a pipe dream. 

I've got the charcoals ready waiting to sketch her.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I'm curious. Which would excite you more - Kate or the 4LAV?

Think it must be a misprint but the boche buster and locomotive for £50 and a dcc sound for £100 looks good.

according Hatton's preorder price gun and loco 130,- estimated price , gun only 42,50 , iff these prices become real, it is an nice price

and all other new future releases with some artist impressions , the tank wagons look nice, some nice pre -war liveries

Edited by Cor-onGRT4

My first thought was...how bizarre! They claimed that their thinking was 'joined up' so I would have expected something like:

A. Class 86 (for Mk3s)

B. An LMS tank

C. A Scottish pre-group to run with those 4 planks

Instead they've come out with something I would never have predicted but I suppose it fits in with the Warwells and the Dean Goods. I would have thought most of the military modellers would have wanted a HO one so I worry the market for this one could be fairly small. Am I right in thinking these never ran on regular lines, at least with the gun fitted?

My first thought was...how bizarre! They claimed that their thinking was 'joined up' so I would have expected something like:

A. Class 86 (for Mk3s)

B. An LMS tank

C. A Scottish pre-group to run with those 4 planks

Instead they've come out with something I would never have predicted but I suppose it fits in with the Warwells and the Dean Goods. I would have thought most of the military modellers would have wanted a HO one so I worry the market for this one could be fairly small. Am I right in thinking these never ran on regular lines, at least with the gun fitted?

Most of my military models are 1/76th or 1/72nd scale and these scales are common world wide so - aside ROCO collectors - most would certainly not want it in 1/87th.

I have converted a Mainline Dean Goods to WD/continental style with new overall cab, Westinghouse pump , loads of pipework and reservoir tank. Would look good pulling a big gun!

One would need two or three Dean goods to haul that thing.

Dave Franks.