sem34090

The gun makes more sense if you treat it as emanating from the established Oxford Diecast end of things rather than a somewhat extravagant addition to a model railway business that is still very much in its infancy. 

I entirely agree with your comments re. coaches, though my own preference would be some ex-LSWR Ironclads..........

John

I can see the link between the gun and their military vehicles range which does have quite a few WW2 items (WW1 seem a bit thin on the ground though) and from the perspective of a company who have traditionally seen probably more sales from collectors than modellers using their die-casts as scenery it might seem a good fit. However, when Oxford Rail were launched I got a distinct impression from the publicity that they were serious about the endeavour and were quietly aiming to get themselves, if not into the 3rd force of UK RTR, certainly heading in that direction. The fact they have announced a range of RTP buildings, and have said they want to adopt a holistic, "complete model" range of complimentary items of rolling stock suggests that they want to serve the modeller, and if collectors buy into the range than all well and good, in effect a reversal of their die-cast business model. (Note to Lyndon and Eloise: Please explain the Mk3s in the context of that comment as I'm pretty sure the Dean Goods never hauled Mk3 stock down the GW main line). The gun doesn't strike me as joined up thinking from the perspective of Oxford Rail other than it might help shift some of the "compromised" Dean Goods toolings as part of the gift pack assuming the more accurate NRM version becomes the mainstream model. It's sending out another confused message as to their target audience and market although from a die-cast perspective it does offer some synergy with their military vehicles.

Very odd.

The gun appeals to me.  I have been disappointed by the paucity of First World War offerings.  There have only been a couple train packs from Hornby and Bachmann.  The European modelmakers have entirely ignored the topic--with the sole exceptions being Artitec's decision last year to release in H0 a British tank model and a few German figures and, to stretch the point, some German ambulance wagons released ten years ago or more.  Likewise the American manufacturers, who should have used the centenary period to revisit some USRA locomotive models.  And this despite the evident interest of modelmakers in all three regions to deliver significant quantities of Second World War material.

So I'll buy the Oxford railgun and be grateful for something (and try to figure out whether any of the 12T tank wagons would suit a pre-grouping atmosphere).

• Like 1

FINALLY a prototypical modern warwell with the correct wagon ends. The recoloured Hattons version was a bit of a let down.

Oxford had already announced the modern KWA warwell, but only as a three pack. Their description describes some of the real-life upgrades including wider decks and states the model will include many of these upgrades. Hattons modern warwell had many of these upgrades missing so hopefully the Oxford rail version will be an improvement. Here is a link to the previously announced KWA three pack: https://www.oxforddiecast.co.uk/products/mod-kwa-warwell-triple-pack-95535-95578-95540-or76ww004

• RMweb Premium

It’s an eclectic range in total. NB goods wagons , mk3 coaches , Dean Goods and a big gun. Not exactly joined up thinking we were promised. I wasn’t expecting much from Oxford Rail but this is even more disappointing . A gun!

That's an unfair comment. It will be just a question of getting the website fully set up - no doubt the links will work in a few days time. Meantime, you have got information hot off the press, coinciding with the start of London Toyfair this morning.

John Storey

Really? It's not my idea of professionalism, but if you're okay with that, then that's cool.

Great if you want one but I don't understand the logic for this release. Sorry.

Perhaps someone from Oxford might like to come along and explain their rationale for this one?

A late night in a Chinese opium den. If such things still exist outside the pages of Dickens.

so many unessesrily rude and sarcastic comments, what an unpleasent place this forum is sometimes.

maybe companies like oxford are sick of everyone complaining at everything they do and have just decided to do what they want. sad to see so much petiness when manufacturers dont give people the specific models they wanted.

• RMweb Premium

I don’t see anything particularly rude . If you are in business you should expect people to voice opinions . I just find the choices they have made perplexing . Mk3s to a gun . Very strange .It’s not the introduction of a new railway system that we were told was going to happen. An example was Mainline Railways back in 1976/77. With a Steam loco, diesel loco, small tank engine, 2 Mk1s coaches and 4 or 5 wagons . Much more logical and to an enthusiast much more exciting plotting possibilities . The Oxford Range seems to come from a Random ideas generator

Perhaps someone from Oxford might like to come along and explain their rationale for this one?

Errrrrrr . . . ..  perhaps because they are a commercial company and think it will make money.

I think we just need a change of perspective.  I confess, I was misled for a long time by the strap line "in pursuit of excellence" into thinking that Oxford Rail is scale model manufacturer, and I made the mistake of judging its output accordingly.

Once you accept that Oxford Rail is nothing of the kind, one suddenly becomes a lot less bothered by what it does!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

1918 - 2018, Dean Goods to go with it. WW1 Bandwagon with Maude from Hornby and 009 / ROD from Bachmann.

Personally I've no interest in celebrating war. 

Most of these releases (ok not the big gun) are for locomotives and stock that would only be seen in the battlefields of europe, and if they returned to the UK would be in a dreadful state. I doubt a ROD 4-4-0 ran from Paddington, or an ROD 0-6-0 ran on a Devon milk train.  The wagons have interest post war as they saw further use, but i'd imagine the ROD lettering soon went away after WW1, for WW2  the WD 2-8-0 was a little different as several were seen running in the UK, but wasnt that because they were 'owned' by government, not the big 4, until BR Days ?

Unless someone was creating a Somme MPD 1918 or a Bastogne MPD 1944 with this lot in it and a mix of continental HO stuff, i'm not sure I get it a lot of it.

LNWR (or even an L&Y liveried ROD) is nice though, as is the J36 liveries (except ROD) and the wagons of course have uses.

This Gun.. siding fodder really... I could pose it next to my new Bachmann Crane and a Lima Steel Furnace bullet wagon in the interesting but weird yard.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Errrrrrr . . . ..  perhaps because they are a commercial company and think it will make money.

I was hoping that Oxford would give the response but as you know their rationale, you'll do, ta.

;)

• RMweb Gold

1918 - 2018, Dean Goods to go with it. WW1 Bandwagon with Maude from Hornby and 009 / ROD from Bachmann.

Personally I've no interest in celebrating war. 

Most of these releases (ok not the big gun) are for locomotives and stock that would only be seen in the battlefields of europe, and if they returned to the UK would be in a dreadful state. I doubt a ROD 4-4-0 ran from Paddington, or an ROD 0-6-0 ran on a Devon milk train.  The wagons have interest post war as they saw further use, but i'd imagine the ROD lettering soon went away after WW1, for WW2  the WD 2-8-0 was a little different as several were seen running in the UK, but wasnt that because they were 'owned' by government, not the big 4, until BR Days ?

Unless someone was creating a Somme MPD 1918 or a Bastogne MPD 1944 with this lot in it and a mix of continental HO stuff, i'm not sure I get it a lot of it.

LNWR (or even an L&Y liveried ROD) is nice though, as is the J36 liveries (except ROD) and the wagons of course have uses.

This Gun.. siding fodder really... I could pose it next to my new Bachmann Crane and a Lima Steel Furnace bullet wagon in the interesting but weird yard.

All these items are primarily aimed at the collectors, the train-setters and those for whom Rule One is the only rule worth following.

If they generate revenue that contributes to developing items that can feature on coherent model railways, that's something I can live with.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1

Bosche Buster was assembled at Darlington works. image.gif

That may be the case, as Wolsingham did make gun barrels for the Royal Navy, but the fact remains that no one has expressed and interest in something as useless as a rail mounted gun. 

If given the chance for a rail mounted gun and the J21 I know which would be wanted more, which one have given them headlines and which would have given them better long term sales. 

I'm starting to feel the need to turn my fire on companies after seeing nothing but a massive list of announcements for the southern region or on novelty items that will be nothing but costly or a one off. How many people are honestly going to buy a rail mounted gun, breakdown crane, dynometer car, etc when some of us havent even got the basics to operate the fleet for an area. 

Was a rail mounted gun even in the wishlist poll at all?

• Like 2

No.

Brian (on behalf of The Poll Team)

Thanks Brian. I didn't think so. 

Was this because no one thought of it, or that no one thought anyone would seriously want one? Or was it just an item that because of its novelty status slipped through?

*None of this is meant as a means to bemoan the poll. I don't think anyone realistically saw this coming...

Surprised that everyone is complaining about a lack of joined up thinking. In WW2 at least 3 of these big rail mounted guns were serviced just down the line from where East Kent Railway No5 was parked, already in the Oxford range. Stonehall (Coliery) siding was the next one down from the EKR terminus at Shepherdswell station. Rule 0.99 could apply. :-)

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Brian. I didn't think so. 

Was this because no one thought of it, or that no one thought anyone would seriously want one? Or was it just an item that because of its novelty status slipped through?

*None of this is meant as a means to bemoan the poll. I don't think anyone realistically saw this coming...

Hello David

No 'bemoan of The Poll' taken - we're always happy to take queries.

Back in 2012, the 'new' Poll Team was tasked by then-Editor of MREmag, Pat Hammond, to rationalise the content. We did our best to level the playing field by trying to get a balance of steam locos, diesels, DMUs, electrics, EMUs, coaching stock (PCCS and NPCCS), wagons from across the years and departmental stock. We later added Industrial and Underground.

We felt that if we listed everything that might be listed, it would be at least 30,000 items! There are over 400 GWR coach diagrams alone - let alone variations on a theme. We therefore took a broad view of which items might be of most use to most modellers based on our own experiences and what was being written about on forums, in magazines and what could be seen at shows etc. To the best of my knowledge, we have never had a request to list such an item.

So...we list 700+ items in 00. You could say that we 'forgot' the other 29,200+ - but the results of The Poll over the years show that the majority of announced items are coming from the High Polling segment, with many coming from The Top 50. There have been very few items announced that we haven't listed and the rail-mounted gun is one.

Hope that helps.

Brian (on behalf of The Poll Team)

Edited by BMacdermott
  • Like 2

Just a thought.

Perhaps Oxford Rail are going to announce a range of models to revitalise the old Triang Battle Space concept?

In later announcments, look for an exploding boxcar, a flying helicopter mounted on a Warflat and a Turbo Car with ramming spike!

• Like 1

Now, with the Hornby 'link' perhaps there are plans to reintroduce items like this,

post-4133-0-25428300-1516806636.png

the gun can try and shoot it as it whizzes around at great speed!

Maybe a 4mm scale SRN 4 in BR livery could be next DCC sound fitted and you could fill it with Oxford Cars then even use it outside.

post-4133-0-54578400-1516806846.png

edit: overlapped Hroth's post.

Edited by GRUNFOS
  • Like 1