Gladiator WW2 Railgun

Garethp8873

• RMweb Premium

On the subject of wagons and coaches there are two interesting vehicles in photographs in the book 'R-O-D on the Western Front 1915-1919' by William Aves. The first is a 6-wheel passenger brake van that although belonging to the French Nord company was very British in appearance and size but with a pair of strange ventilators on the roof rather like large pent roof dog kennels with louvred sides. The other is even more interesting as it shows the German rail gun captured by the Australians. Attached to the rear of the gun was a modified open goods wagon. The wagon was fitted with a pent roof raised above the sides and appears to be used as a magazine wagon. It started out as a high sided wagon fitted with central cupboard doors about 4-5 feet wide, is about 22-24 feet long with a wheelbase of about 15-16 feet. The pent roof is raised above the sides (5-6 feet) by about a foot or so and completely covered in except for 4 square windows/loopholes cut in the sides. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

According to Ian Hogg's books on artillery, the following lengths of the gun apply:

13.5" gun: 625.9 inches, bore 45 calibers

14" gun: 648.4 inches, bore 45 calibers

18" howitzer: 648.4 inches, bore 35 calibers

The lengths of the 14 and 18 in pieces are identical - no surprise, both were manufactured by Elswick and were intended to be interchangeable on the same carriage.

The 13.5 and 14 in guns both have a caliber length of 45 - also no surprise, as both were designed as battleship main guns, the 14 in gun slightly later (and larger) than the 13.5 in gun.

Now, the difference in gun length between the 13.5" gun mounted in GLADIATOR WW2 and the 14" gun mounted in BOCHE BUSTER WW1 is 22.5 inches, this amounts to 7.5 mm in 00 scale (1/76.2).

Judging from photos, the barrel lengths (muzzle position relative to the buffers) seem identical to me (which they should not be). Does anybody have both models available for a direct comparison?

Next, gun caliber. My BOCHE BUSTER model (OR76BOOM01) has a muzzle opening clearly exceeding 6 mm (6 mm is the scale caliber of an 18" howitzer). The muzzle should be 4.67 mm to match a 14" gun (and 4.5 mm to match a 13.5" gun).

These observations lead me to ask the question: Do we in fact have the same model of the 18" howitzer dressed up as either a 14" gun (BOCHE BUSTER WW1) or a 13.5" gun (GLADIATOR WW2)?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kai said:

These observations lead me to ask the question: Do we in fact have the same model of the 18" howitzer dressed up as either a 14" gun (BOCHE BUSTER WW1) or a 13.5" gun (GLADIATOR WW2)?

I would have thought that highly likely - Oxford were not going to tool up two different guns, were they?

John Isherwood.

Edited by cctransuk
  • Agree 2

23 minutes ago, Kai said:

For model around £50, the answer is yes.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, cctransuk said:

I would have thought that highly likely - Heljan were not going to tool up two different guns, were they?

John Isherwood.

If Heljan had tooled up a railgun as well then they might well be different - because the one being discussed is made by Oxford ;)  :jester:

Jon

Edited by jonhall
  • Like 1
  • Funny 3

3 minutes ago, jonhall said:

If Heljan had tooled up a railgun as well then they might well be different - because the one being discussed is made by Oxford ;)  :jester:

Jon

Shows how much interest I take in such fripperies !! :rolleyes:

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

4 hours ago, Kai said:

According to Ian Hogg's books on artillery, the following lengths of the gun apply:

13.5" gun: 625.9 inches, bore 45 calibers

14" gun: 648.4 inches, bore 45 calibers

18" howitzer: 648.4 inches, bore 35 calibers

The lengths of the 14 and 18 in pieces are identical - no surprise, both were manufactured by Elswick and were intended to be interchangeable on the same carriage.

The 13.5 and 14 in guns both have a caliber length of 45 - also no surprise, as both were designed as battleship main guns, the 14 in gun slightly later (and larger) than the 13.5 in gun.

Now, the difference in gun length between the 13.5" gun mounted in GLADIATOR WW2 and the 14" gun mounted in BOCHE BUSTER WW1 is 22.5 inches, this amounts to 7.5 mm in 00 scale (1/76.2).

Judging from photos, the barrel lengths (muzzle position relative to the buffers) seem identical to me (which they should not be). Does anybody have both models available for a direct comparison?

Next, gun caliber. My BOCHE BUSTER model (OR76BOOM01) has a muzzle opening clearly exceeding 6 mm (6 mm is the scale caliber of an 18" howitzer). The muzzle should be 4.67 mm to match a 14" gun (and 4.5 mm to match a 13.5" gun).

I can recommend a decent razor saw.....

Also a shop that sells the right aluminium tubing to line the barrel of the howitzer to be an acceptable size for Gladiator.  Happy days.  :) 

Julian

• Like 2

I have no idea, but the hole in the middle is remarkably close to the right size. The rifling would probably not be to scale though.

A better bet for most scenarios would be to fit a tampion, which would probably have been fitted all the time except when the gun was firing.

• Agree 1

The barrels were very similar external dimensions as the 18" was  howitzer, with a smaller charge, so it had thinner walls, then the 14" Gladiator gun, which used a larger charge and needed thicker walls, for the greater range.  Adding a liner to the model reduces the caliber of the Gladiator gun nearer to the dimensions of the 14" gun.  It's not exact, but a slight improvement on out of the box calibers.

Regards

Julian

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 3 weeks later...
28 minutes ago, Colin_McLeod said:

The driver must feel a bit apprehensive with that gun pointing into the cab.  No SPADs when the Traffic Inspector is watching so closely lol ;)

That's the threat, drive or else :unsure:

• Like 3

On ‎19‎/‎06‎/‎2020 at 22:49, craneman said:

Chop the barrel of a .177 air rifle and you'll have a rifled barrel of very close dimensions for the two guns, use a .22 rifle for the howitzer.

On ‎20‎/‎06‎/‎2020 at 07:22, No Decorum said:

Is that an entirely practicable solution? 

You know what those of us brought up on the range of Britain's artillery models are thinking now don't you? So, can we fit the rest of the air rifle mechanism in? There would be enough space in the NEC, Excel, possibly Ally Pally, and like venues, to bombard rival layouts...

• Funny 6

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 19/06/2020 at 17:15, jonhall said:

Jon

Little wonder, therefore, that bits fall off when you open the box......

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• 1 year later...