Gladiator WW2 Railgun

Garethp8873

Regarding the  Dora  WW2  German gun  as  modeled  earlier.

This  is  available  in  1/35  scale  as  a  (very  large) plastic  kit.

I  have  read  of  a  purchaser  of  one  of  these   in  Canada  having  some  serious  explaining  to  do  to  customs  following  the  interception  of  his  order  for  an  after  market  metal  barrel  for  the  model,  this  was  rifled,  just  over  20mm  bore and several  feet  long.

The  saving  grace  was  it  was  made  of  aluminium.

Pete

• 4 weeks later...

Hope someone is thinking about the 'opportunity' of providing a crew and other related items (ammunition etc.)

For those of you wishing to recreate the line of soldiers sitting atop the barrel, HaT Industrie make 1:72 WW2 British Tank Riders (i.e. infantrymen sitting on tanks) who are exactly what one might need. 

(I've found a review of same: http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/review.aspx?id=1836 No connection, etc. etc.)

For those of you wishing to recreate the line of soldiers sitting atop the barrel, HaT Industrie make 1:72 WW2 British Tank Riders (i.e. infantrymen sitting on tanks) who are exactly what one might need. 

(I've found a review of same: http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/review.aspx?id=1836 Noconnection, etc. etc.)

They are very good but note the 1/72nd scale.

Given the range of sizes that real people come in, I would have thought that one could get away with the scale being 5% too large.

Yes but not the steel helmets ;-)

Those were one size fits all.

Edited by JSpencer

• 2 weeks later...

Besides haulage by a Golden Arrows kit Maunsell 350hp shunter, does anyone know what else was in the train when these were moved across the country? I’m thinking of using the excuse that my layout is set midway between Exmouth and Kent so HMG Gladiator would pass through occasionally, but they must have had some carriages for the gun crew (possibly sleepers for them to live in in the sidings) and wagons for the vast shells.

Edited by ovbulleid
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Besides haulage by a Golden Arrows kit Maunsell 350hp shunter, does anyone know what else was in the train when these were moved across the country? I’m thinking of using the excuse that my layout is set midway between Exmouth and Kent so HMG Gladiator would pass through occasionally, but they must have had some carriages for the gun crew (possibly sleepers for them to live in in the sidings) and wagons for the vast shells.

The coaches used would probably be quite old and likely to have been scrapped if not for the war. There might possibly a separate coach, first or second class for the officers but other ranks would have to settle for a none corridor compartment third if they were lucky. 

There was a video on page three I believe that shows the WW2 version in Kent with a van behind it, I suspect this is where they kept the shells and other pieces needed to fire the gun. It would be a good wagon to model to run alongside this if anymore information can be found on it. 

Some  of  the  vans  used  with  these  guns  in  WW2  were  UK  loading  gauge  continental  stock  which  had  run  on  the  cross  channel  train  ferries  then  requisitioned  after  having  been  stranded  in  the  UK  with  the  fall  of  France.

Pete

• RMweb Premium

The van next to the gun would be the special magazine van for the gun. Not very clear in the photographs but it was mounted on two six wheel bogies. It was open at the end nearest the gun to facilitate transfer of shells. German rail guns had a similar arrangement, one even had its own built in narrow gauge track and wagons for moving the shells. I'm not sure if the magazine van would accompany the gun unless it was being relocated, it would probably remain on site if the gun was being repaired or replaced.

Here's another type of railgun ready for transport

Can people please stop calling conventional artillery mounted on a rail-based carriage "railguns"!

A railgun is an experimental weapon which uses electromagnetic force to launch projectiles at significantly higher muzzle velocities than can be achieved using explosive propellents.  Like this:

Railgun_usnavy_2008.jpg

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Railgun

If they could ever be developed in to a practical weapon, it might be possible to mount one on a rail-based carriage in which case I suppose it would be a railway railgun...

Edited by ejstubbs

Can people please stop calling conventional artillery mounted on a rail-based carriage "railguns"!

A railgun is an experimental weapon which uses electromagnetic force to launch projectiles at significantly higher muzzle velocities than can be achieved using explosive propellents.  Like this:

Railgun_usnavy_2008.jpg

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Railgun

If they could ever be developed in to a practical weapon, it might be possible to mount one on a rail-based carriage in which case I suppose it would be a railway railgun...

They wanted to use those on DDX but at a Billion dollars per gun, the idea was dropped. For the price of a handful of such guns, they can buy an Aircraft Carrier which is much more useful. Having the best tech in the world means little if it cannot be built in numbers to be decisive over what it is intended to replace. For comparison, drones allow all sorts of advantages and can work out cheaper than aircraft.

• RMweb Premium

The 155mm shells for the AGS are too expensive never mind rail guns. So the USN are in the bonkers position of operating a handful of extremely expensive land attack destroyers designed to some extent around an AGS which is to all intents and purposes just deadweight and a white elephant. However, it looks like China may have developed a naval rail gun.

The 155mm shells for the AGS are too expensive never mind rail guns. So the USN are in the bonkers position of operating a handful of extremely expensive land attack destroyers designed to some extent around an AGS which is to all intents and purposes just deadweight and a white elephant. However, it looks like China may have developed a naval rail gun.

Nevertheless the 155mm shell was extensively used in conventional artillery weapons. There was a 155mm US tracked howitzer battery that was our neighbour in South Vietnam - noisy lot they were too. We just had 105mm weapons.  And for the infantry remember 'this is my rifle, this is my gun.  This one's for shooting, this one's for fun'.

• RMweb Premium

Nevertheless the 155mm shell was extensively used in conventional artillery weapons. There was a 155mm US tracked howitzer battery that was our neighbour in South Vietnam - noisy lot they were too. We just had 105mm weapons.  And for the infantry remember 'this is my rifle, this is my gun.  This one's for shooting, this one's for fun'.

The shells for the 155mm AGS are completely different to those used by land based artillery systems. The USN did look at using cheap artillery ammo in the AGS so they could at least use the guns but they are non-compatible.

• Like 1