Gladiator WW2 Railgun

Garethp8873

We will need a model of the fire coming out of the gun.  I've seen this for gunpowder Napoleonic artillery on a wargames table so it is possible.  What's needed is a colour photo of a large gun firing - doesnt need to be  railway gun, a naval gun firing would do.  What else?  Sound effects?

Some nice video here:

And here's a good one showing naval WW2 guns - the fire and smoke shown could easily be "constructed" 

If you can stop the video at 0.19 you can see what the fireball looks like with smoke reaching back to the gun.  After that the fireball disappears and its just smoke.

Edited by 1ngram
  • Like 2

Good morning, I have seen this gun and the price and am very tempted.

WW2 one works best for me but I think the WW1 one looks better.

I love the idea of the Dean goods with it but as it was in Kent I doubt a Dean would have been the loco of choice, plus no pannier tanks fitted.

Anyway, what do you think the overhang of this gun would be on curves?

• Like 1

I love the idea of the Dean goods with it but as it was in Kent I doubt a Dean would have been the loco of choice, plus no pannier tanks fitted.

In WWI, they were test fired on the isle of Sheppy and the ROD Dean goods would have been briefly in Kent too.

As for overhang, almost certainly unless Oxford made them from rubber so the bend as they go round corners! The guns would have been dismantled for transport.

• RMweb Gold

One of the Drivers at one of my past depots fired on an ROD Dean Goods during the war when he was in the army and his regular job was wiorking witha railway gun at one stage.  The longest trip he did was from 'somewhere in Devon' to 'somewhere in Kent' with a railway gun and of course the engine remained with the gun's train.

One of the Drivers at one of my past depots fired on an ROD Dean Goods during the war when he was in the army and his regular job was wiorking witha railway gun at one stage.  The longest trip he did was from 'somewhere in Devon' to 'somewhere in Kent' with a railway gun and of course the engine remained with the gun's train.

I wonder if he worked it to the Elham Valley line, which had been closed to normal rail traffic to allow the rail guns to operate?

Regarding the comments about Dean Goods; when they worked for the WD, they could end up anywhere. I believe one fetched up in China. The ones with the supplementary pannier tanks were intended for the Middle-East, weren't they? Kent would certainly not be that strange for them.

Both of Aves'books show such guns being moved by rail in France and they don't look in any way dismantled.

Can anyone tell in what way(s) the WW1 and WW2 versions will differ?  Am I right in thinking the WW1 version will only be available as a package along with the Dean Goods?  I want the gun for my ROD layout but not the loco as I'm going with J14, J36 and Caley (when the last two appear)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I wonder if he worked it to the Elham Valley line, which had been closed to normal rail traffic to allow the rail guns to operate?

Regarding the comments about Dean Goods; when they worked for the WD, they could end up anywhere. I believe one fetched up in China. The ones with the supplementary pannier tanks were intended for the Middle-East, weren't they? Kent would certainly not be that strange for them.

There are pictures of pannier tank equipped Dean Goods unloading wagons from a ship at Cherbough shortly after D-day. They were also fitted with condensing gear almost certainly to reduce giving away their presence so near to the front.

There are pictures of pannier tank equipped Dean Goods unloading wagons from a ship at Cherbough shortly after D-day. They were also fitted with condensing gear almost certainly to reduce giving away their presence so near to the front.

The drawings for this conversion are available at the NRM!

Mark Saunders

Both of Aves'books show such guns being moved by rail in France and they don't look in any way dismantled.

Can anyone tell in what way(s) the WW1 and WW2 versions will differ?  Am I right in thinking the WW1 version will only be available as a package along with the Dean Goods?  I want the gun for my ROD layout but not the loco as I'm going with J14, J36 and Caley (when the last two appear)

France has a bigger loading gauge and you certainly would not want to be dismantling these huge weapons if you needed to move them away from the front quickly. You can move Tiger tanks on German type warflats with ease over there - one reason the Sherman and Churchill was a tight design was because they had to fit the UK loading gauge and even then the tall Sherman could not be used on a warflat leading to a new wagon, the warwell.

Maybe these big 18in weapons could be moved around easily in the UK too but I've seen suggestions that the barrels were removed for UK transport.

Physically, there is no difference between the two guns them except the more elaborate camouflage of WWI. 

Maybe Oxford will do the 14in weapon at some point. Same chassis, different gun (maybe modified loading arrangements - a 14in shell is about half the weight of an 18in one).

Edited by JSpencer

France has a bigger loading gauge and you certainly would not want to be dismantling these huge weapons if you needed to move them away from the front quickly. You can move Tiger tanks on German type warflats with ease over there - one reason the Sherman and Churchill was a tight design was because they had to fit the UK loading gauge and even then the tall Sherman could not be used on a warflat leading to a new wagon, the warwell.

Maybe these big 18in weapons could be moved around easily in the UK too but I've seen suggestions that the barrels were removed for UK transport.

Physically, there is no difference between the two guns them except the more elaborate camouflage of WWI. 

Maybe Oxford will do the 14in weapon at some point. Same chassis, different gun (maybe modified loading arrangements - a 14in shell is about half the weight of an 18in one).

France's loading gauge may be a bit bigger than the UK, but not enough for these guns to be moved on routes with bridges and tunnels without partially dismantling them. However, most such obstacles had been removed in the forward areas, by gunfire from both sides. These guns would be located some distance behind the front-line, so they could either be moved or 'spiked' before enemy forces got too close.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I've received notifications that the ROD dean will be in the stores between October and December. Has anyone seen anything about the availability of the gun?

Probably the same notification I got about the next Warwell run with a Sherman load. I,m not sure if this is a true estimate or the shop in question just pushing the dates on a quarter.

• Like 1

My wager is on a November release to coincide with the 100th anniversary of the Armistice.

That would make a lot of sense.

One thing though, I really can't understand why Oxford didn't offer the camouflage version of the Railgun "Boche Buster" as a separate item rather than part of a set.

Because they will make more money, overall, if they wait until the set has covered its development costs before releasing its contents separately as single items. That's a fairly typical marketing ploy.

Had the opportunity to take a closer look at one of the prototypes setting up at the Swansea Model Railway Exhibition last night, and boy what a model it is! The detail is very fine, but robust. There's even rope around the barrel cradle! Plus it has some serious weight to it!

Here's some pictures, hope they are of interest!

post-20663-0-72598300-1538803213_thumb.jpg

post-20663-0-82350000-1538803249_thumb.jpg

post-20663-0-01837500-1538803272_thumb.jpg

post-20663-0-35150700-1538803294_thumb.jpg

post-20663-0-21250000-1538803305_thumb.jpg

post-20663-0-90067300-1538803320_thumb.jpg

post-20663-0-61601200-1538803342_thumb.jpg

post-20663-0-81111900-1538803369_thumb.jpg

post-20663-0-71338100-1538803385_thumb.jpg

post-20663-0-97276400-1538803398_thumb.jpg

post-20663-0-80520400-1538803435_thumb.jpg

post-20663-0-73173500-1538803449_thumb.jpg

post-20663-0-16657500-1538803471_thumb.jpg

post-20663-0-49971500-1538803484_thumb.jpg

post-20663-0-36024400-1538803503_thumb.jpg

post-20663-0-69042800-1538803524_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

Looking good!

What would be even better would to be able to put paper caps in the breech and make it go BANG!

Perhaps an electrical heater, powered from the track, with DCC control...

Perhaps not....  :jester:

• Like 1

Looking good!

What would be even better would to be able to put paper caps in the breech and make it go BANG!

Perhaps an electrical heater, powered from the track, with DCC control...

Perhaps not....  :jester:

You have me thinking of the 1812 Overture!

post-26289-0-85835500-1538820906.jpg

• Like 3