Assistance sought ( Fitting TTS into Bachmann Cl.37 )

br2975

As a total novice; at long last I've decided to embrace modern technology, and experiment with fitting DCC sound.

I have chosen to start by fitting a Hornby TTS sound chip into a Bachmann Cl.37.

( The assumption being it's cheaper to fry a £40 chip than one costing £120 )

I've connected the chip, via the 21pin-8pin adaptor.

The body has yet to be refitted because the Hornby speaker is too big.

I use a NCE Powercab, and have found that when applying power to the loco, the NCE Powercab 'power plate' emits a noticeable 'hum', until the Powercab hand set reaches a speed step of '30' and above, when the 'humming' stops.

There is no 'hum' when the loco is stationary, or idling, only once power is applied.

From my minimal experience, I suspect ( but don't know for sure)  that by adjusting one of the CVs, the 'hum' may be alleviated.

Secondly, can someone recommend a suitably sized replacement speaker, to fit the space atop the Bachmann Cl.37 chassis block and beneath the roof fan; I'd like something with a bass effect..

Thank you in advance for any advice and recommendations.

Brian R

• RMweb Gold

Regarding fitting the speaker you will find plenty of help on www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/85122-Bachmann-class-37-dcc-sound/   I believe the Hornby TTS decoder has an 8 ohm impedance  The beauty of fitting the speaker as discussed, if you don't like the TTS sound you can fit an ESU or Zimo decoder for the ultimate sounds.

HTH

Mike

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I’ve just fitted one myself, I’m having running issues with mine too, I tried changing a few cv’s but it’s still not improved much so I’m going to try again later, i’ll let you know what settings I use. As for speakers I put mine in the tanks, you won’t get much of a bass effect from a small speaker in the body.

attachicon.gifE681042C-6FF1-45B7-BA63-BD2888C9077E.jpeg

You might get a 20x40x8 speaker in like this:

attachicon.gif6894D5EC-36B9-4FFD-8FA6-D6D2A8ADE730.jpeg

I haven’t tried one on a 37 yet though, just a 47

Richard

Evening Richard

How did you fit the plug into the adaptor in the 47?

I can't get the body to fit as the plug and adaptor is too tall?

• 9 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Evening Richard

How did you fit the plug into the adaptor in the 47?

I can't get the body to fit as the plug and adaptor is too tall?

I've just put TTS into a 21 pin Bachmann class 47, using the stock speaker and a 21 to 8 pin adapter. It's not easy but can be done.

I unsoldered the 8 pin socket on the adapter and using a pre-wired 8 pin free socket (from eBay), soldered the free wires into the holes left by the removed socket. Fit the wires from the underside of the adapter, this will allow enough headroom. 

Plug the TTS decoder into the new free socket and away you go. I fitted the speaker at the fan end after removing the dummy fan assembly. The speaker sits on the chassis face down and I taped over it to try and get some sort of enclosure.

I didn't want to start removing metal or fitting speakers in the tanks. 

The sound is fine for my home layout. :sungum:

I've also fitted TTS to a Hornby class 60, again I didn't want to "cut and shut". But had to make an enclosure for the stock speaker as it wouldn't fit, headroom again.

Strange that a Hornby TTS sound decoder and speaker doesn't fit a Hornby class 60 directly, you have to fiddle. Not very plug and play! :no:

I'll try and get some pic's tomorrow of the completed 47. 

Next is the Bachmann 37. First look it seems a bigger challenge lays ahead. :scratchhead:

Rob

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I've just put TTS into a 21 pin Bachmann class 47, using the stock speaker and a 21 to 8 pin adapter. It's not easy but can be done.

I unsoldered the 8 pin socket on the adapter and using a pre-wired 8 pin free socket (from eBay), soldered the free wires into the holes left by the removed socket. Fit the wires from the underside of the adapter, this will allow enough headroom. 

Plug the TTS decoder into the new free socket and away you go. I fitted the speaker at the fan end after removing the dummy fan assembly. The speaker sits on the chassis face down and I taped over it to try and get some sort of enclosure.

I didn't want to start removing metal or fitting speakers in the tanks. 

The sound is fine for my home layout. :sungum:

I've also fitted TTS to a Hornby class 60, again I didn't want to "cut and shut". But had to make an enclosure for the stock speaker as it wouldn't fit, headroom again.

Strange that a Hornby TTS sound decoder and speaker doesn't fit a Hornby class 60 directly, you have to fiddle. Not very plug and play! :no:

I'll try and get some pic's tomorrow of the completed 47. 

Next is the Bachmann 37. First look it seems a bigger challenge lays ahead. :scratchhead:

Rob

As promised pic of class 47 and TTS sound using an 8 pin free socket and a modified adapter. Sorry the text is very small. 

But I think you get the idea.

post-7197-0-33454500-1544269428_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

The class 37 is easy to do because the 21 pin adaptor fits under the roof. I would use this speaker: http://roads-and-rails.co.uk/store/p79/Bass_Enhanced_Speaker_20x30mm.html because it fits straight in and sounds better than the original.

Richard

I spent all day yesterday playing around with my Bachmann 8 pin chassis trying to fit TTS sound. Finally put the decoder in the fan end chassis recess and fitted the stock speaker in the roof with black tack. 

Wish I'd have read your post before doing all that! I did look at your eBay shop and ordered some 23mm round speakers. A bit more room for manoeuvre. You must have added the 20 x 30 ones after that, or I just didn't see them. :no:

I'll send you a PM about those.

Rob