• RMweb Gold

Hi Rowsley,

In the early '30s a 3 coach ex LNWR set was still in use on the Ashbourne branch, I can't recall if they where 42' or 50' (or even 45' cascaded from the Buxton sets).

There are photos in the books on the branch. I'll take a look later.

They are indeed LNWR 3-coach sets in the early 1930s but were reduced to 2-coach sets around 1934 but could be strengthened. The photos from 1950 onwared show Stanier coaches.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jonathan.

Good to see you back in action after the recent move. The "demolition" and room re-arrangement is right down my street! Best of luck with the build.

Jeff

I just wish they had extended the dormers along the whole length of the bungalow then I could have had a MASSIVE layout!!

• RMweb Gold

A couple more days at the new home meant a little more work to the railway room. What were the cupboards have been relined to give a neater finish.

The one on the landing.

post-16241-0-06431300-1519486306_thumb.jpg

What were the cupboards in the old bedroom.

post-16241-0-91699300-1519486340_thumb.jpg

post-16241-0-99739900-1519486361_thumb.jpg

Next to remove the partition wall next to the door just visible in the left of the above photo.

Edited by Rowsley17D
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I have a couple of joiners lined up to come later in the week and give me a quote to build a new partition wall with door at the top of stairs so that the mess from the railway room does not get into the rest of the house. It will make the room and the hall/landing a lot warmer too.

Edited by Rowsley17D

• RMweb Gold

With the Beast from the East it's not proved wise to travel to our other home and continue railway room work. So over a couple of afternoons and an evening I made a start on track building. All the components are reused from the old layout. (After I saw the current price of chairs.)

This is the exit turnout from the upper yard to the up main.

post-16241-0-82241400-1520016542_thumb.jpg

Timbers in place. There are three copper-clad ones; one to support the crossing, one to electrically link the switch and stock rails and provide a means of getting power to the track and a moveable one to change the switch rails.

post-16241-0-79350500-1520016553_thumb.jpg

The common crossing in place. I took extra care fitting this to make sure my test vehicle, a coach bogie, ran through without any bumps or sideways movement.

post-16241-0-72310100-1520016567_thumb.jpg

post-16241-0-34771200-1520016585_thumb.jpg

The finished, more or less, article. Still some 1/2 chairs to fit. I super-glued the slide chairs to the stock rails as I found when I lifted the turnout off the paper template, these timbers fell off, not any more! The sharp-eyed will notice a fourth copper-clad, second from right. This is to keep the stock rail in gauge should the glued slide chairs fail.

As a final test I pushed an old Mainline Jubilee through the turnout. No tweaking needed.

Edited by Rowsley17D
  • Like 2

Agreed it's unwise to travel around for a layout! We're in a similar boat redecorating our new house for the move in two weeks.

However, yesterday we had working central heating... today the father in law took off a radiator and the water pipe to the boiler seems to run externally... it was frozen and so accidentally we have ended up with no heating... let's hope this weather thaws!!!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Photos from a couple more days of demolition work.

post-16241-0-89041800-1521209600_thumb.jpg

post-16241-0-25930700-1521209623_thumb.jpg

My one and only hacksaw blade broke so part of the old door frame was left hanging in mid-air until a visit to the iron mongers. Do we still have iron mongers?

Edited by Rowsley17D

• RMweb Gold

A bit more done while at the eventual retirement home. The boxing-in of various bits is just about done. The electrician has been and moved the lights and switches which will be either side of a new partition wall. The joiner has been and measured up and hopes to start before Easter (2018)

post-16241-0-55968200-1521739387_thumb.jpg

post-16241-0-91300800-1521739393_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

The joiner has been round and done most of the work on the new partition wall, just awaiting the electrician to put in the light switches, then the plasters can finish off.

post-16241-0-23845100-1522487734_thumb.jpg

post-16241-0-09608000-1522487745_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Coming on well Jonathan, you must be really pleased now.

Hi Andy, the workers have got on with the job faster than expected but then most of them are near neighbours - the joiner and the electrician (just need to find a plumber.) There's a bit of decorating to do once the lads have finished then it will be on to the frames for the track-work.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Andy, the workers have got on with the job faster than expected but then most of them are near neighbours - the joiner and the electrician (just need to find a plumber.) There's a bit of decorating to do once the lads have finished then it will be on to the frames for the track-work.

I hope you're paying them well!

I'll be tuning in once you start to build the baseboards - my favourite bit of the hobby.

Btw, Jim said he'd met up with you and your wife at York. In fact, his comments about you were almost identical to what you said about him and Linda!

Keep up the good work.

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I'll be tuning in once you start to build the baseboards - my favourite bit of the hobby.

Jeff

Please don't look too closely, my skills are sadly lacking, I even screw into end grain!! Mr Moakes, my woodwork teacher, will be spinning in his handmade oak coffin! I console myself that once it's covered with model railway, you cannot see too much of it anyway.

• RMweb Gold

Another visit to our home, home and after purchasing a 5 litre can of white matt emulsion it was on with painting over the new boarding which brightened up the room no end.

post-16241-0-33028100-1522864611_thumb.jpg

We also found the electrician had been round and fitted the switches on the new partition wall, so just the plasterer awaited, then the joiner can do the architraves.

Edited by Rowsley17D
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

When not at home, home or busy with clerical duties, Sundays plus the equivalent of two days, (ha, ha) I am managing to get some of the turnouts built. I have managed to build all those for the upper goods yard and bay including the exit turnout to the up line as shown previously. I laid them out on the dining room floor.

post-16241-0-11270400-1522866450_thumb.jpg

The toe of the nearest turnout leads to the bay platform. The turnout at the far end is the exit to the up main line. So these are all the turnouts above the up line in post #22.

Only 20 more to do including a three-way.

Edited by Rowsley17D
  • Like 1

Hi Jonathan

It's good to see you have the decorating underway and also planning your next steps, you are certainly making use of some of that time you mentioned you were going to take off. I have now ticked the follow box so I don't miss the updates like I did yesterday and this morning.

I'm hoping to get outside for some shed time tomorrow while the sun shines and complete a little more scenic work.

Happy decorating

Jim

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I went to the Scale 4 North on Saturday and among other things purchased this.

post-16241-0-45090400-1523902596_thumb.jpg

Makes vees for size 5-8. I made two in less time than it took to make one inaccurate one. With 20+ more to make it was worth the cost. If anybody wants vees 5-8 I'll make then for a small consideration!!

I don't know what the central groove is for, can anybody enlighten me?

Edited by Rowsley17D

• RMweb Gold

I went to the Scale 4 North on Saturday and among other things purchased this.

attachicon.gifVee Filing Jig.jpg

Makes vees for size 5-8. I made two in less time than it took to make one inaccurate one. With 20+ more to make it was worth the cost. If anybody wants vees 5-8 I'll make then for a small consideration!!

I don't know what the central groove is for, can anybody enlighten me?

Not used one of these but if you mean the one running the entire length, isn't it for holding one of the rails when soldering them together?