New Roco Z21 app

Message added by AY Mod

Please reduce the confrontational aspects to this topic. Just kiss and make up a bit - 08 May

Like the look of what you've built. Maybe next time I have reason to be in Yorkshire I can bring some double-decker SBB stock to run round your "shed"? No space here to use them. And I also have a couple of videoloks...

You'd be more than welcome - the kettle's always on.  It's now a German based layout (changed things after I'd started the thread in the Swiss section) but nobody would know we ran Swiss stock around (I do!)  Well we could pretend I have an S-Bahn station in say, Senden.  I switched to German theme because I bagged an enormous amount of Somerfeldt German catenary early on - too cheap to resist and saved about a grand.   I'm happy to (loosely) represent a mountainous area based around the Southern Germany/Tyrol/Bavarian region.

Cheers ... Alan

Ah well, in that case a couple of ICE3s and/or some regional trams?

I have one Trix regional diesel tram with video doors - little clips of people running to get on or off - very fancy and couldn't resist it when I saw it in a shop in Basel about a year back...

Ah yes I've seen that on a video clip - definitely on my shopping/Christmas/Birthday list..

• RMweb Gold

I imported the layout roster of locos from the old app to the new one - had to do this by the email method as the WiFi transfer only works between new app machines, not from old app to new app. Trouble is the order of the locos was jumbled up in the new app. Takes ages to re-order it.

I will probably get used to the new app in time. Wonder if it locks up like the old app did when the iPad or iPhone shuts down on powersave...

Cheers

Darius

• RMweb Premium

With the new app you should be able to copy the data across all devices you have on the wireless. For me it did work. so no need to copy the files over - just export while the other device(s) are connected to the wifi. You will receive a message on the receiving device - if you accept it - you have the new data loaded. 

By the way - I just put up my current project Donnersbachkogel which is run by a Lenz system - I will stop moaning about the Z21. Even I have upgraded my Lenz - both handhelds and central unit - it is so much more comfortable to use a Z21 instead.... 

With the new app you should be able to copy the data across all devices you have on the wireless. For me it did work. so no need to copy the files over - just export while the other device(s) are connected to the wifi. You will receive a message on the receiving device - if you accept it - you have the new data loaded. 

By the way - I just put up my current project Donnersbachkogel which is run by a Lenz system - I will stop moaning about the Z21. Even I have upgraded my Lenz - both handhelds and central unit - it is so much more comfortable to use a Z21 instead....

I'm afraid I just can't get that to work. Exporting from my iPad to my Samsung (Android) phone I export using Wi-Fi, my Samsung asks me to accept, which I do, then it goes through the motion as if importing the file - so far so good - but then the new file simply isn't there. I'm not sure an iPad Z21 file is compatible with an Android Z21 file.

V frustrated ....

Alan

where have you just put it up to?

• RMweb Premium

I have purchased the Z21 for future projects - I use it currently only for programming, loco testing and as an administrative tool. The Lenz is on the Donnersbachkogel layout since 2 years - and it is a bit difficult to use a fixed installed unit for all kind of programming and testing. Actually I think I should do it the other way round and use the old Lenz for the demo circle...

But now to Alans problem. 

I couldn't resist last weekend during the Milton Keynes show and I had to purchase a Liliput Plasser and Theurer Tamper. Easy - as a club member I can scroll through the shops before the visitors are coming ... I have put that on the Z21 app in my I-pad. 

In the menue go now to Layouts - if you click on it - it comes back with Layoutmanagement. You see your libraries on the left hand side. I click on all2018 - which is my current selection of locos and carriages containing a decoder. If you select the layout of your choice you will see a tick mark right of the selected database. Now scroll down - the last menu point is Export.

If you click on it - it will show preparing data for export - then you have a small selection pop-up containing share, WiFi or cancel. Select WiFi. 

The other device (es) must have the Z21 app open, they must be unlocked, and you have to be on the page Layoutmanagement. 

Your sending device - in my case the ipad - will show you all devices it has found on the network. and hurray - it shows me a galaxy J5. (wouldn't recommend that but that is what my company has given to me....) 

click on the arrow right of the device(s) you want to export to. 

If you go now to your Android it will ask you for confirmation to import the layout. 

Once you have it you will like it! It saves a lot of head scratching and working with files which end up in some folders being never deleted... 

All the best 

Vecchio

I have purchased the Z21 for future projects - I use it currently only for programming, loco testing and as an administrative tool. The Lenz is on the Donnersbachkogel layout since 2 years - and it is a bit difficult to use a fixed installed unit for all kind of programming and testing. Actually I think I should do it the other way round and use the old Lenz for the demo circle...

But now to Alans problem. 

I couldn't resist last weekend during the Milton Keynes show and I had to purchase a Liliput Plasser and Theurer Tamper. Easy - as a club member I can scroll through the shops before the visitors are coming ... I have put that on the Z21 app in my I-pad. 

In the menue go now to Layouts - if you click on it - it comes back with Layoutmanagement. You see your libraries on the left hand side. I click on all2018 - which is my current selection of locos and carriages containing a decoder. If you select the layout of your choice you will see a tick mark right of the selected database. Now scroll down - the last menu point is Export.

If you click on it - it will show preparing data for export - then you have a small selection pop-up containing share, WiFi or cancel. Select WiFi. 

The other device (es) must have the Z21 app open, they must be unlocked, and you have to be on the page Layoutmanagement. 

Your sending device - in my case the ipad - will show you all devices it has found on the network. and hurray - it shows me a galaxy J5. (wouldn't recommend that but that is what my company has given to me....) 

click on the arrow right of the device(s) you want to export to. 

If you go now to your Android it will ask you for confirmation to import the layout. 

Once you have it you will like it! It saves a lot of head scratching and working with files which end up in some folders being never deleted... 

All the best 

Vecchio

I've done all,of that, exactly that, nothing less, nothing more. All the events you describe happen as you describe them. However, When the import has finished - nothing has changed. That is to say, the new file is not there, hasn't been imported and can't be found. I've done it several times now. Frustrating. But thanks anyway, I'll have to keep scratching my head ...

Cheers ...Alan

• RMweb Premium

The last entry is the one I have just copied over - as I used it to help me with the description. 

39594606624_036af315e5_b.jpgDSC_0732

There is one point I have forgotten - when you import the data you will be asked to create a name for it. But I am sure you did that? 

There is the also the option to upload and select - which I have chosen - so you are on the right database. 

I thought I had a brilliant idea last night to overcome the tiny font size and the inability to scale the size of items in the new app as io realised it has the ability to store multiple pages.

ssentially my idea was to create individual maps for each detailed area that i could then see at a reasonable size on the ipad screen which seemed to work (ish) as they are essentially still a bit small, but workable though not on a phone :(

The next challenge was to create some routes that would allow me to;

a) reset everything on startup to a known condition

b) allow me to cycle all point motors - sometimes a useful thing to do.

c) set up a few routes that will make life easier

d) ...

and I thought the answer was to create another screen with these on it and at a size I can read - this is when I hit the problem. You can only select points for the routes from the diagram that you have the route button on, you cannot select from other pages which means I need to have a page with all points on it to be able to select them which then means that the Route Button is tiny and the text is unreadable - catch 22 here I think :(

I am not sure how people with really large layouts with lots of points (I only have 26 currently) and lots of routes are going to make this work in the current guise - what are you doing to get around this challenge?

Iain  

I thought I had a brilliant idea last night to overcome the tiny font size and the inability to scale the size of items in the new app as io realised it has the ability to store multiple pages.

ssentially my idea was to create individual maps for each detailed area that i could then see at a reasonable size on the ipad screen which seemed to work (ish) as they are essentially still a bit small, but workable though not on a phone :(

The next challenge was to create some routes that would allow me to;

a) reset everything on startup to a known condition

b) allow me to cycle all point motors - sometimes a useful thing to do.

c) set up a few routes that will make life easier

d) ...

and I thought the answer was to create another screen with these on it and at a size I can read - this is when I hit the problem. You can only select points for the routes from the diagram that you have the route button on, you cannot select from other pages which means I need to have a page with all points on it to be able to select them which then means that the Route Button is tiny and the text is unreadable - catch 22 here I think :(

I am not sure how people with really large layouts with lots of points (I only have 26 currently) and lots of routes are going to make this work in the current guise - what are you doing to get around this challenge?

Iain  

Hi Iain,

Wondering if it's possible to make multiple copies of the same page.  If so you could put your whole track plan on a page, add in and configure your route buttons, then zoom into different sections on each of the pages (??)

Not necessarily a solution but just airing an idea ...

Cheers ... Alan

Hi Iain,

Wondering if it's possible to make multiple copies of the same page.  If so you could put your whole track plan on a page, add in and configure your route buttons, then zoom into different sections on each of the pages (??)

Not necessarily a solution but just airing an idea ...

Cheers ... Alan

Don't think it's possible to make multiple copies of the same page - I can't find a way anyhow ..

Agreed - that was an idea that I had also :(

They seem to have done many good things and then undone the good by not actually trying to use the app - would work on one on the new gigantic screen iPads, but not on the older versions and is now almost unusable on a phone except for use a a throttle.

Just my opinion, but an balance I suggest it has gone backwards

Agreed - that was an idea that I had also :(

They seem to have done many good things and then undone the good by not actually trying to use the app - would work on one on the new gigantic screen iPads, but not on the older versions and is now almost unusable on a phone except for use a a throttle.

Just my opinion, but an balance I suggest it has gone backwards

Iain,

I've sent an error report about this problem ... wait out ..

Cheers ... Alan

OK what is better about the new app?

I like the old app, why should I change?

Regards,

John P

John, the new App exists in parallel with the old app so you can keep the old app and load the new app to look at it. You can also export everything from the old app into the new app (on IOS you can do this using e-mail). 

At the moment (in my opinion) the new colour used for the throttle is horrible and the track control is really difficult to use to build a layout for points control. Hopefully things will improve as they receive user feedback. 

Currently for operation I think I'll stick with the old app!

Edited by NickC

Hi Everybody.

There is some information on the new app here.

The quality of the video isn't great with a lot of reflections but I think you will get some information from it.

I don't have a Z21 myself but was thinking of getting one for my workbench.

To be honest I was looking for a reason to buy one  :scratchhead:

As an older modeller i really like to look of it & the way you can see everything you're doing on screen without having to remember lots of numbers etc.

I have an NCE Power Pro system at present & was trying to find out if there was anyway to use the Z21 with it.

It appears there isn't so I will stick with the NCE system I think.

I sent two emails to Roco but even thought I received an automated acknowledgement I never actually got a reply from them.

I also sent two emails to Scograil but again no replies which was extremely disappointing.

The Yahoo Z21 group was equally pretty useless.

I just found it extremely difficult to get solid answers to my questions.

Anyway enjoy the video & I hope its of some help to you.

Regards.

Tony.