Twll Cach Exchange Sidings

br2975

Looking for a home based layout to replace Rosamund Street (Low Level) Sidings, I wanted something based upon 'my era' which is the late 60s and early 70s in South Wales.

Plenty of armchair based doodling, pipe dreaming and especially studying the exceptional photos of Bob Masterman brought the following scheme to fruition.

So, here goes.

SETTING THE SCENE

Twll Cach (Exchange Sidings) were cut into the hillside on a short branch off the former Taff Vale Railway line, somewhere between Penrhiwceiber and Aberdare in the Cynon Valley .

Access to the branch was controlled by Cwm Wrin Junction Signal Box, a typical former Taff Vale structure.

By the early 1970s the branch, had been cut back to the small Twll Cach yard which still served a handful of industrial concerns.

With the branch being cut back, the signalling was also removed and the remaining section between Cwm Wrin Junction and Twll Cach is operated under “C2 Regulations” (details of which will appear in a subsequent post). The GWR brick built ‘Twll Cach Signal Box’ still stands – just.

The now truncated branch still serves a handful of industrial locations, including;
NCB ‘Twll Cach’ washery and British Steel Corporation ( formerly Richard Thomas & Baldwins ) tinplate works q.v.

MODELLING CONSIDERATIONS

The space available is 16’0” x 2’0” which permits an “end to end” or “terminus to fiddle yard” design.

The layout would be set in the late 1960s / early 1970s somewhere in industrial South Wales.

This time frame would permit a wide variety of locomotives, including TOPS classes 03, 08, 14, 25, 31, 33, 35, 37, 42/43, 45/46, 47, 52 and 53.

Operationally I wanted a small interchange yard, on a now single line freight only branch where BR exchanged traffic with both the NCB and BSC, both staple industries in South Wales at the time.

NCB Twll Cach Coal Preparation Plant

The NCB washery ( or coal preparation plant ) is located off the layout, but forms part of the NCB ‘Twll Cach’ Colliery which was recently linked underground to Lady Windsor Colliery, Ynysybwl and where all coal is brought to the surface.

Twll Cach washery was rebuilt and enlarged in the mid-1950s and now processes coal not dealt with by the A.V.C.W. ( Aberdare Valley Central Washery ) at Deep Duffryn Colliery, Mountain Ash; which mostly produces a form of duff for the Phurnacite plant further up the valley at Abercwmboi.

Coal is brought into Twll Cach by rail from several local collieries, washed and blended (sweetened) then moved out again by rail to industrial customers across South Wales.
In addition, a small amount of household coal is destined for the ‘Landsale Yard’ alongside Twll Cach washery.

This explains how both empty and loaded wagons both enter the NCB line at Twll Cach.

The NCB washery employs several steam locos, including Hunslet ‘Austerity’ 0-6-0STs, a former GWR 57xx pannier tank recently arrived from Mountain Ash where it was found to be unsuitable. A 4wDH sentinel shunter has recently been covering, on loan from the Opencast Executive.

NCB locomotives are allowed to access the BR Twll Cach sidings under strict regulations, as set down in the Sectional Appendix (details of which will appear in a subsequent post).

British Steel Corporation ‘RTB (tinplate) Works’

The BSC facility is also served by Twll Cach .

Production of tinplate has been drastically curtailed over recent years, but rolling is carried out during times of peak demand at other works on a contract basis.

Currently, most of the site is given over to the storage of tinplate ‘held on stock’ awaiting sale or export (usually via Newport Docks).

The tinplate traffic is handled in (a) Shocvans and (b) B.R. Coil ‘C’, Coil ‘J’ wagons and a dwindling number of converted mineral wagons hired to the BSC / RTB.

When the works does roll and treat plate, coke hoppers are tripped from the ovens at Nantgarw, with a reversal at Radyr yard.

BSC employ a 0-4-0DH Sentinel diesel shunter which apparently came from the Oxfordshire Ironstone Co. This shunter is permitted to enter only one of the sidings at Twll Cach, and, as with the NCB engines, this is controlled by the Sectional Appendix (details of which will appear in a subsequent post) .

NCB Mountain Ash Central Workshop

Although not located on the branch, traffic for the workshops at ‘Mount’ is occasionally staged at Twll Cach

Mining equipment, is both delivered to and despatched from the works, including the occasional NCB locomotive.

TRAIN SERVICES

The branch between Cwm Wrin Junction and Twll Cach is shunted by the ‘Twll Cach pilot’ ( E81 in the Working Time Table) which is booked to work two shifts per day, 06:0-14:00 and 14:00-22:00.

The 350hp shunter normally stables overnight Monday – Friday at Twll Cach, returning to Aberdare either late Friday evening or Saturday afternoon, depending on traffic levels.
-E81 Starting time 06:00 Mon-Fri, Sat ‘Q’

The yard is generally served several times a day by 9C70 one of several Aberdare based Cl.37 duties serving the Cynon Valley at the time.
For our purposes 9C70 trips back and forth along the Cynon Valley several times a day, starting at Aberdare and serving such places as Cwmbach, Aberamman, Abercwmboi, Mountain Ash, AVCW (Aberdare Valley Central Washery), Penrhiwceiber and Stormstown Yard just south of Abercynon; from where one daily trip is extended to Radyr yard.

Last year’s WTT also showed the following diagrams serving Twll Cach, although things may alter with the new WTT due to start in May.

9C75 05:55 MX Radyr Jcn. – Twll Cach 07:10 9C75 08:06 MX Twll Cach – Cardiff Marshalling, thence 11:36 Marshalling – Radyr. Rostered for a Canton allocated Cl.37 outbased at Radyr.

8A99 06:35 East Usk Junction – Twll Cach 08:40. Mineral empties, Radyr 07:35 for crew change. 9A99 09:05 Twll Cach – Newport, Alexandra Dock Junction. Steel / tinplate traffic for Newport Docks. Now rostered for a pair of Ebbw Junction allocated Cl.25s, flashovers permitting !

9C91 09:00 Radyr Jcn. - Twll Cach arr. 10:23. Empty minerals. 9C78 18:00 SX Twll Cach – Radyr 19:38. Rostered for a Canton allocated Cl.37 outbased at Radyr.

Back to the layout concept, and design

So, I needed a fan of sidings, served by an off stage fiddle yard, together with connections to the NCB washery / coal preparation plant and the BSC ‘RTB Works’.

To maximise operation I wanted the BR service(s) to arrive from the fiddle yard, and either (i) the train engine runs around, removes the brake van and departs light engine OR collects an outgoing train , or (ii) if the train arrives in one of the dead-end roads, the pilot pulls back the train to release the train engine.

I also wanted the shunting operations to be carried out in full view, without a need for the pilot to use a fiddle yard road as a shunting spur.

This has been achieved by having the headshunt or shunting spur in the scenic area.

Both the NCB washery / coal preparation plant and BSC ‘RTB Works’ are offstage, so wagons brought from the ‘fiddle yard’ by BR are shunted back into the ‘fiddle yard’ by either the NCB or BSC private locos.

The operational requirements obviously impose upon the ‘trackplan’ and in turn the length of trains that can be accommodated on the layout as follows……

The loco + wagons + brake van must comfortably fit into the fiddle yard.

Arriving B.R. trains must be able to access all or most of the yard roads at Twll Cach.

The loco + wagons + brake van must fit into any of the dead end sidings.

The wagons + brake van must fit into the run round loop, allowing the train engine to run around and pick off the brake van.

The wagons + brake van + Cl.08 pilot + shunter’s truck must be able to fit in the headshunt / shunting neck and allow the released train engine to clear the yard and reach the branch back to Cwm Wrin Junction.

NCB coal trains from Twll Cach washery should be able to access most roads in the yard.

The BSC loco should only be able to access one road in the yard.

Image No.1 shows the original concept (The yard roads have since been renumbered with the run round loop / BSC access being No.1 Road, then working upwards No.2, No.3, No.4 and No.5.

The shorter road (at the top of the plan) is for NCB use.

So, from the above, I can accommodate a ‘maximum, comfortable’ train length of 48”, which equates to a Class 37 (what else ?) + 10x 16 ton mineral wagons + a standard BR brake van.

The original concept sketch and a scale trackplan are shown below.

As always, your views and opinions are sought.

Watch this space for (infrequent ?) updates.

Brian R

For any 'saes' modellers experiencing difficulty with the Welsh pronunciation;

"Twll Cach" is easier pronounced "Tooth Cack"  and

"Cwm Wrin" is easier pronounced 'Coom Oorin"

Both are slightly b*stardised versions of Welsh names I have 'devised', but am loathe to interpret - yet ! 

post-1599-0-45356300-1517836511_thumb.jpg

post-1599-0-13677800-1517837454_thumb.jpg

Edited by br2975
  • Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Sound concept, Brian, but I think you are pushing Rule 1 a bit with anything beyond 08,14, and 37 for the BR side of things!  Should bring back some happy memories of the area in those days when there was still plenty of NCB steam around and massive amounts of railway interest.

• Like 2

Excellent! More Cynon Valley modelling, but about 15 years later than my pipe dream of Mountain Ash (Fach), which will have two periods, 1923 & 1955.

Will you be modelling the signal boz, if so what do you intend to do about the very distinctice Taff Vale barge boards?

Tim T

• Like 2

Sound concept, Brian, but I think you are pushing Rule 1 a bit with anything beyond 08,14, and 37 for the BR side of things! Should bring back some happy memories of the area in those days when there was still plenty of NCB steam around and massive amounts of railway interest.

In reality John, there are two possible concepts fighting it out inside my bonce.

No.1 is ‘Twll Cach’ as I’ve alluded to above.

No.2 employs the same trackplan, but would be ‘Cardiff, East Moors’ located in that no-mans land south of Long Dyke, Tyndall Street level crossing and north of Roath Basin Junction and Stonefield Junction, with the GKN Dowlais Works / BSC East Moors on the backscene and the operators standing in the almost abandoned East Dock.

The steel works backdrop entered my head after receiveing Arthur Ormrod's excellent tome for Christmas.

‘Cardiff, East Moors’ would allow the use of Cl.08, 14, 22 at a push, 25, 31 just, 35, 37, 42/43, 45/46, 47 and 52 as all appeared at Newtown / Tyndall Fields at one time or another, and through Bob Masterman’s collection there are a number of images I can use as inspiration.

“Twll Cach” would narrow down the locos to, as you say, Cl.08,14 and 37.

So, there could be some removable and/or adaptable scenery yet – who knows.

Excellent! More Cynon Valley modelling, but about 15 years later than my pipe dream of Mountain Ash (Fach), which will have two periods, 1923 & 1955.

Will you be modelling the signal boz, if so what do you intend to do about the very distinctice Taff Vale barge boards?

Tim T

If Twll Cach box is still standing (doubtful) it may be the brick built GWR replacement of the TVR box that mysteriously burned down during the General Strike of 1926.

Don’t bother running for the history books Tim !

At last!

Some more South Wales (in)sanity!

The names are very 'Gren'.

Keep it coming Brian, or I'll send my brother and his boys around to chivvy you along. :jester:

Agreed Richard, I have the 1971-1972 fixture list for Twll Cach RFC and will let you know when we play Aberflyarff. Ponty & Pop will meet us in ‘The Golden Dap’ for a pint or two of Albright !

Brian, Nice to see things underway, I remember talking to you about this 5 years ago! Good luck and get going! Dave

Not quite 5 years, maybe 4yrs 11 months, but I didn’t get around to it sooner as I was too busy prevaricating !

Boards are built, most track is cut and fettled with droppers added.

I’m in the process of laying what our transatlantic cousins call the ‘roadbed’ ( American for underlay ?) which is 5mm foamboard, glued to the baseboards.

I may describe the baseboard construction later.

Brian R

Edited by br2975
  • Like 3

An extract from the 1969 Amendment to the Sectional Appendix confirms the working of the branch is governed by "C2 Regulation" ;

WORKING BETWEEN CWM WRIN JUNCTION AND TWLL CACH

The line from Cwm Wrin Junction to Twll Cach is worked as a siding and is controlled by the Cwm Wrin Junction Signalman and the Traffic Supervisors.

Except when required for shunting purposes, all points will be set for through running between Cwm Wrin Junction and Twll Cach.

TABLE C.2

LINES WORKED UNDER CONTROL OF SIGNALMEN, SHUNTERS, Etc.

Method of Working

Unless otherwise shown in the Table below or in the Local Instructions section of this publication, the method of working lines under the control of Signalmen, Shunters, etc., will be as follows:-

Single Lines

Only one train is allowed on the section of line concerned at any one time. The Signalman or person in charge in control of the line will authorise the train to proceed from ‘A’ to ‘B’ and when work is completed at “B” the train will return to “A”.
Where telephone communication is provided between “A” and “B”, the Driver/Guard or person in charge at “B” must advise the Signalman or person controlling the line when the train has arrived complete at “B” and has been drawn clear of the Single Line. When the train is ready to return to “A” the Driver/Guard or person in charge must obtain permission from the Signalman or other person who controls the line. The train must not foul the Single Line until such permission is given.

Edited by br2975
  • Like 3

Agreed Richard, I have the 1971-1972 fixture list for Twll Cach RFC and will let you know when we play Aberflyarff. Ponty & Pop will meet us in ‘The Golden Dap’ for a pint or two of Albright !

I'd forgotten The Golden Dap. Those Gren cartoons captured the spirit of the south Wales Valleys!

As for Albright that's a beer I am glad is gone, no real match for Brains!

Personally I would stick with the original idea and forget East Moors etc.

Cheers,

Dave

p.s. NCB steam locos with sound?

• Like 2

In reality John, there are two possible concepts fighting it out inside my bonce.

No.2 employs the same trackplan, but would be ‘Cardiff, East Moors’ located in that no-mans land south of Long Dyke, Tyndall Street level crossing and north of Roath Basin Junction and Stonefield Junction, with the GKN Dowlais Works / BSC East Moors on the backscene and the operators standing in the almost abandoned East Dock.

The steel works backdrop entered my head after receiveing Arthur Ormrod's excellent tome for Christmas.

‘Cardiff, East Moors’ would allow the use of Cl.08, 14, 22 at a push, 25, 31 just, 35, 37, 42/43, 45/46, 47 and 52 as all appeared at Newtown / Tyndall Fields at one time or another, and through Bob Masterman’s collection there are a number of images I can use as inspiration.

If Twll Cach box is still standing (doubtful) it may be the replacement for the TVR box that mysteriously burned down during the General Strike of 1926.

Not quite 5 years, maybe 4yrs 11 months, but I didn’t get around to it sooner as I was too busy prevaricating !

I’m in the process of laying what our transatlantic cousins call the ‘roadbed’ ( American for underlay ?) which is 5mm foamboard, glued to the baseboards.

Brian R

I'll be intrigued to see how this turns out.

'Road-bed' is an American prototype term, being equivalent to our term 'formation', i.e. the bit below the ballast; a sort of prototype 'underlay', the more so as a layer of geotextile blanketing is often at the bottom.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

An extract from the 1969 Amendment to the Sectional Appendix confirms the working of the branch is governed by "C2 Regulation" ;

WORKING BETWEEN CWM WRIN JUNCTION AND TWLL CACH

The line from Cwm Wrin Junction to Twll Cach is worked as a siding and is controlled by the Cwm Wrin Junction Signalman and the Traffic Supervisors.

Except when required for shunting purposes, all points will be set for through running between Cwm Wrin Junction and Twll Cach.

TABLE C.2

LINES WORKED UNDER CONTROL OF SIGNALMEN, SHUNTERS, Etc.

Method of Working

Unless otherwise shown in the Table below or in the Local Instructions section of this publication, the method of working lines under the control of Signalmen, Shunters, etc., will be as follows:-

Single Lines

Only one train is allowed on the section of line concerned at any one time. The Signalman or person in charge in control of the line will authorise the train to proceed from ‘A’ to ‘B’ and when work is completed at “B” the train will return to “A”.

Where telephone communication is provided between “A” and “B”, the Driver/Guard or person in charge at “B” must advise the Signalman or person controlling the line when the train has arrived complete at “B” and has been drawn clear of the Single Line. When the train is ready to return to “A” the Driver/Guard or person in charge must obtain permission from the Signalman or other person who controls the line. The train must not foul the Single Line until such permission is given.

But do not forget that C2 working allows more than one train at a time to be at Twll Cach because the C2 working applies to the single line and not to the sidings at the end of the line - just make sure you've got a phone cabinet somewhere ;) (and ideally a couple of proper job (G)WR style STOP boards.

Incidentally a C2 section can only be controlled by one person (identified as a post) and in this case it would be the Signalman at Cwm Wrin Junction. 

Edited by The Stationmaster

But do not forget that C2 working allows more than one train at a time to be at Twll Cach because the C2 working applies to the single line and not to the sidings at the end of the line - just make sure you've got a phone cabinet somewhere ;) (and ideally a couple of proper job (G)WR style STOP boards.

Incidentally a C2 section can only be controlled by one person (identified as a post) and in this case it would be the Signalman at Cwm Wrin Junction. 

Mike, you come to the rescue again.

From one of our previous conversations, you mentioned the two 'STOP' boards, but I forgot to include your advice in my opening post.

There will be two stop boards on the BR line - just over a loco and brake van length from the first turnout.

Locos approaching Twll Cach will need to come to a stand, and await instruction from the senior railman on duty at Twll Cach.

Similarly, departing trains from Twll Cach, bound for Cwm Wrin Junction and the main line will be required to come to a stand and the driver use the phone to obtain permission from the Cwm Wrin 'bobby' to enter the single line section.

I assume there will need to be a similar 'STOP' board on the NCB line, requiring any NCB traffic approaching Twll Cach to come to a stand, and await instructions.

I suspect any NCB and BSC (RTB) private shunters entering the yard at Twll Cach will need to be registered by the BRB / BTC / RE and carry the requisite plate ?

In the case of the NCB and BSC (RTB) locos entering Twll Cach yard, I will turn out the relevant Sectional Appendix entries later . . . . . . .

Brian R 

Edited by br2975

From the 1969 Supplement to the Sectional Appendix for the Cardiff Division

NATIONAL COAL BOARD ENGINES WORKING TWLL CACH YARD

Traffic must not be placed in the sidings by the N.C.B. Staff without the B.R. Shunter being present, but if this is not practicable the B.R. Shunter must be consulted and his permission obtained before the wagons are so placed. A telephone giving communication with the Shunters’ cabin at Twll Cach is provided adjacent to the gate outlet from the colliery line for this purpose.

When traffic is standing in Twll Cach sidings and it is not possible for the N.C.B. engine to draw the wagons into the sidings, the engine and wagons must be brought to a stand at the entrance to the sidings. Before the engine is detached a proper understanding must be come to between the B.R. and N.C.B. Staff in regard to the placing of wagons, and sufficient brakes must be applied to avoid the possibility of the vehicles getting out of control, and the handles of all brakes not applied must remain loose in the brake rack. Owing to the falling gradient a sufficient number of the leading wagons must, in all cases, be braked and spragged.

• Like 1

From the 1969 Supplement to the Sectional Appendix for the Cardiff Division

MESSRS.  RICHARD  THOMAS  &  BALDWIN’S  ENGINE  WORKING  TWLL  CACH  YARD

Messrs. Richard Thomas & Baldwin’s engine is allowed to work to and from the No.1 Road    ( Loop Line ) at the south end of Twll Cach Yard for the purpose of picking up wagons and depositing outwards traffic. The Richard Thomas & Baldwins driver is responsible for taking such precautions as are necessary to ensure safety in performing any work, and must act upon any instructions given him by the B.R. staff.

The points on No.1 Road (Loop Line) leading to  Messrs. Richard Thomas and Baldwins siding must normally be set, clipped and padlocked to prevent movements from that siding to No.1 Road ( Loop Line ) and the wheel stop must be padlocked across the rail.

The keys to the padlocks on the point clips and wheel stops must be kept by the yard Foreman at Twll Cach and before allowing them to leave his possession he must come to a satisfactory understanding with the firm’s representative regarding the movement of the private locomotive.

Messrs. Richard Thomas and Baldwins engine must not under any circumstances be allowed to go on either No.2, 3, 4 or 5 roads. 

When Messrs. Richard Thomas & Baldwin’s engine is not available, wagons may be berthed or cleared by Western Region engines.

Edited by br2975
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Brian the Sectional Appendix entries need a spot of translation into more typical style of wording but the sentiments are ok  except for allowing the NCB engine in when the BR Shunter is not present - that would normally be a no no because there is a shared entrance to some of the sidings.  Safety is achieved by every move being accompanied by or authorised by the Shunter although some sort of local exemption might be made (if you want some parallel moves ;) ) - so a bit of re-wording is needed.

Looking at posts No. 1 & No. 12 you need to sort out the grades and designations.   Late 1960s, i.e post 1967 grade changes, the person in charge up there will be the Chargeman or Senior Railman and not the Foreman as that grade was abolished in 1967 (even if it is incorrectly used in the 1969 Cardiff Division Appendix!).  It's ok to refer to the 'B.R. Shunter' or 'Shunter' as that recognises a particular post which could be in one of two possible grades.

As far as departure towards Cwm Wrin Jcn is concerned the usual method would be for the Chargeman to obtain permission and for him, or possibly the Shunter, to tell the Driver (this saves the driver getting out in the cold and wet ;) ).  The NCB line might have a normal style STOP board but far more likely is a noticeboard saying something along the lines of 'NCB engines must not pass this board without permission from the B.R. Shunter', similarly for the BSC siding.  It was of course not unusual by the early '70s for the sign to be off its post or the post to have fallen over and all the paint to be flaking off.

• RMweb Gold

If Twll Cach box is still standing (doubtful) it may be the brick built GWR replacement of the TVR box that mysteriously burned down during the General Strike of 1926.

Brian R

An East Moors style layout could also include class 20s, hunting in pairs nose to nose.  I can confirm 31 having worked aboard one on a train of empty bogie bolster Cs, fully fitted and a back cab ride for me; I recall this because it was my first encounter with these locos which I was not much impressed with though the new engines might have perked them up a bit.  The cab was excellent, though, big enough for the works dance...

03s and 53 are still pushing it a bit though.  But who am I to criticise, as I have every intention of running 1421, for which I have so far only the number plates, on Cwmdimbath, inventing a working for it.  1421 is a Llantrisant loco and Cwmdimbath is serviced by motive power from Tondu, but there will be a working involving it running via Hendreforgan and reversing at Blackmill, under the authority of Rule 1.  There is also the possibility of Tondu's 'big big' prairie, 3100, turning up there one day on a pigeon special or rugby excursion to Cardiff (I need to build it first; the plan is the use the Airfix chassis, footplate, cab, and bunker from my current large prairie when it is replaced by a Dapol one, with a no.4 boiler from a Dapol CoT construction kit.  This will still be years before the Baccy 94xx appears).  The auto tank will be a Hornby Railroad beast when they've sorted the running issues as I feel less inhibited about carving off the top feed on a cheap model.  And I am, as you know, not only a poor pensioner but an irrevocable cheapskate.

The attraction of 1421, which as I am sure you well know was the regular Cowbridge loco and will feel very uncomfortable amongst all the scary mountains on the other side of the SWML, is that it carried plain black 1948 livery with 'BRITISH RAILWAYS' sans serif lettering, a livery I want to include on the layout.  Another candidate is 9681, supplied brand new to Tondu at that time presumably in that livery, but I have no photographic evidence.  1421 appears in the livery in John Lewis' Auto Trailer book, sans top feed.

A few images to show current progress at Twll Cach Exchange Sidings.

This image is taken from the Cwm Wrin Junction (Fiddle Yard) end of the layout and shows all 12'0" of the scenic section. 

The Canton allocated Cl.08 Twll Cach pilot is standing in the headshunt with a variety of hopper wagons; and from the headshunt the pilot can access all of the BR roads (No.1 through to No.5) but not the rearmost which is the "NCB road".

To the right of the pilot is the BR branch to Cwm Wrin Junction, and the extreme right hand road is the NCB line to Twll Cach washery.

The white area in the foreground will form part of the BSC (RTB) tinplate works, accessed from a kick back siding off yard Road No.1 and then over a girder bridge which crosses the Afon Wrin before it flows beneath the tinplate works (the river was diverted, and dammed in the 19th century, to power waterwheels inside the tinplate works).

More to follow in the next post(s).

Brian R

post-1599-0-80873600-1518369419_thumb.jpg

post-1599-0-17949700-1518370045_thumb.jpg

Edited by br2975
  • Like 9

This image is taken from above Twll Cach Exchange Sidings and we are looking toward the main line at Cwm Wrin Junction (aka the fiddle yard).

From right to left we have

Road No.1-  ( arrival road, and access road to the BSC (RTB) tinplate works, by means of the kick-back).

Road No.2 - also used as the arrival run round when the pilot is unavailable.

Road No.3 - occupied by D9500 and a raft of empty minerals.

Road No.

Road No.5

N.C.B. siding

From this angle, it can be seen that (a) arriving BR trains can access all six roads (including the NCB siding), (b) the pilot can use the headshunt to draw out arriving trains from all roads and shunt release the train engine, if necessary.

Similarly, NCB trains can access BR Roads 2 to 5 in order to exchange traffic with BR, as well as their own siding, at the left hand side.

At present the Peco track has all bee cut to size, and will be laid shortly, once the holes for the Spratt & Winkle uncoupling magnets have been cut out of the 5mm foam board track bed.

Brian R

post-1599-0-64560400-1518370711_thumb.jpg

Edited by br2975
  • Like 9

I would recommend an image search on Google for "Ynysarwed Sidings" which is a very inspirational 2mm finescale layout along the same theme and era as Twll Cach.

Here's a taster:

post-6843-0-58751100-1343221271.jpg

Yes, a very inspirational and atmospheric South Walian layout.

Luckily I have both the MRJ articles.

Thanks for reminding me though.

Brian R

• Like 2

Very nice, Brian.  Not sure about mixing coke and coal hoppers, but it's early days yet and the photo serves well to help visualise the concept.

Not as unusual as it seems, as the the coke hoppers rotted and fell by the wayside 20 ton coal hoppers were drafted in, as were 24.1/2 ton hoppers, models of which will be available later this year.

There will be but an occasional coke working from Nantgarw via Radyr, and with coke hoppers in short supply anything with wheels and a bottom chute will do.

Truth is, the coke hoppers were a swapmeet bargain.

Brian R

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Not as unusual as it seems, as the the coke hoppers rotted and fell by the wayside 20 ton coal hoppers were drafted in, as were 24.1/2 ton hoppers, models of which will be available later this year.

There will be but an occasional coke working from Nantgarw via Radyr, and with coke hoppers in short supply anything with wheels and a bottom chute will do.

Truth is, the coke hoppers were a swapmeet bargain.

Brian R

The oddest thing I ever saw loaded with coke out of Nantgarw was a Shock High.  Dunno why they loaded it but they did!  Another interesting site of the early '70s was coke hoppers running around without the boards at the top - not very common but still to be seen every now and then.

• Like 2