The M-K & Eastern RR Harbour branch

M Graff

• 2 weeks later...

I can't keep myself from a little update from my layout.... :D

I got a locomotive from my wife for Christmas, the latest locomotive from Bachmann, the 2-6-0 Mogul with the new basic sound decoder.

It has been a favorite locomotive type for a long time with me, but the previous locos on the market have left something to be desired .... ;)

The fact that it has now come in a very decent version is really good!

DSC04151-1.jpg

It's a very good engine, especially if you look at the price. My wife paid $120 including Shipping! Totally unbelievable!

Then I also happened to buy a loco on eBay.de....

DSC04152.JPG

It is also a locomotive which has been on the wish list for a long time, but has been a bit too expensive in my opinion.....

It's the Proto 2000/Brawa 0-6-0 in the "Heritage" series.

I got it by accident when I made an offer that just went thru..... sometimes it's good to buy on eBay during the holidays!

I bought it in the DC version and it was brand new in the box, so the first thing I did was to put in a ESU LokSound decoder (wich lead to a change of lights and a need to rip out the circuit boards in the tender.....)

It is a fantastic fine running machine, and the amount of detail is very good!

DSC04158-1.jpg

So now I'll have to see when I get the time to finish and weather them ...... I have at least put some figures in the 0-6-0 locomotive..... :)

DSC04155-1.jpg

• 2 months later...

I've missed this thread up until now and have just read from start to finished, looked through your blog and watched your youtube vids..Awesome layout mate, absolutely brilliant. It just oozes atmosphere and character..

The new layout plan looks great and the sound of huge ships and tugs at work just sounds magic..

Look forward to following the progress on this one.

Cheers

Anthony

Ps : Thanks for your weathering vids mate as I shall be giving them a go

Now they disappeared, the last!?! obstacles!

I felt it was time to draw the plan on graph paper, and then I saw that there were some areas that felt "too much" .... Ie. It looked like a model railroad.......

By skipping some details that I would want, like the High line in the city, it was easier to sort out the plan!

Now it is a more linear plan, but still with a little elevation, and a more logical east-west plan (thanks!).

2012-04-17_09-59-16_422-1.jpg

I will make the benchwork with 1/2 inch plywood. That gives light weight and high strength.

The actual track bed will be a "spline roadbed," I'd like to try with either 6 mm MDF board or hard board, cut into 2" strips and used on edge, glued, 6 pcs. in width. It makes minimal wastage and makes turnouts and curves easy to install. The noise level should be very low with such a solid track bed too .....

I've decided to hand build all the turnouts on the new layout.

There has been a lot of thinking behind the decision, but the peer pressure made me go for it!

:no:

I have invested in some track roller gauges, turnout PC and wood ties and some ME nails!

To avoid strange errors in the gauge I ordered a brand new NMRA gauge as well.....

I just laid an order for 200 meters of Code 70 and 55 rails. A friend of mine is selling them.... :sungum:

Now to get the 12 mm Plywood for the benchwork from my local builders merchant....

I hope I can get some of it started in the next week or so...

• 1 month later...

Hi all! :)

I'm getting started on my layout now......

I've built a switch from scratch for the first time.

This is my first attempt:

CameraZOOM-20120621191115147.jpg

The move from 'ordinary' HO 16.5 mm to 16.2 mm, is probably the way to go ...... [:D]

I'm happy to report that cars equipped with code 88 wheels roll super smooth thru it.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

Happy Christmas to you too!

Any updates on the layout?

Sorry for the late reply....

The layout have been moved to a toy and hobby museum!

It has also been extended with loops on each side with the run around behind the backdrop!

It will open on Easter which is approaching fast! It's the final rush on the construction of the layout at the museum.

Here are some pictures:

%255BUNSET%255D.jpg

The background is painted on the right side, the one that is going to be a little "Hopperesque" ...

%255BUNSET%255D.jpg

The water is painted, it will be varnished and ready to be "waved" .... :)

%255BUNSET%255D.jpg

The Ravine ....

%255BUNSET%255D.jpg

Left side with the rocks and ravine. Here it will be Colorado .....

All to be finished Wednesday in a week! [8D]

:D

Pictures of todays work:

%255BUNSET%255D.jpg

The Bates mansion is finally ready!

%255BUNSET%255D.jpg

Not a motel right now, but we have a gas station! :-)

%255BUNSET%255D.jpg

%255BUNSET%255D.jpg

It is getting there!

%255BUNSET%255D.jpg

Homely!

%255BUNSET%255D.jpg

I am very pleased with the mountain. The pines may need a little work....

%255BUNSET%255D.jpg

The track is good now (I think)...

It's the last push now before the season opening on Friday. Tomorrow the plexi glass and lid will be put on ..... [:)]

Nailed it!

%255BUNSET%255D.jpg

Plexiglass fitted:

%255BUNSET%255D.jpg

%255BUNSET%255D.jpg

Only the last piece of fascia and plexi left to attach....

%255BUNSET%255D.jpg

I am very happy with the lighting ! LED strips under the "lid" and halogen spotlights at the ends.

:D

Awesome. You definitely don't want to 'put a foot wrong' on that trestle bridge!

No, it is really high!

Some more pics with the painted fascia:

%255BUNSET%255D.jpg

%255BUNSET%255D.jpg

%255BUNSET%255D.jpg

Some small things to do such as weather the fascia to make it look like the one on the original layout.

There are some hundred or so trees to plant at the east coast side.....

:)

Archived