West or south wales (Arriva & virgin & ews)

Hiya

everyone

I am aware to building the small through station by four line into main lines of busy trains passed or normal through station by single track

I use ews freight passed and most stopped by dmu and few quite express virgin stopped

I am search the website to find the west and south wales for my layout

Thank you

Hiya

everyone

I am aware to building the small through station by four line into main lines of busy trains passed or normal through station by single track

I use ews freight passed and most stopped by dmu and few quite express virgin stopped

I am search the website to find the west and south wales for my layout

Thank you

What are you trying to say? Are you asking where in South Wales there is a station with 4 tracks, with platforms for 2 of them and through traffic passing on the other lines, that you could model? If so Port Talbot Parkway (actually on the double-track section I think, but it's quad-track through the station) could be what you're looking for. I don't think Virgin trains run any services in South Wales now though.

Cross Country run as far as Cardiff with 170 units on services to/from Nottingham etc. And fairly sure theres a token 220/221 service from Cardiff to the north via Bristol? But these wouldn't be seen west of Cardiff. Newport by far the best for variety in freight and passenger workings.

fairly sure theres a token 220/221 service from Cardiff to the north via Bristol?
Would that be Cross-Country too? if so you haven't mentioned any services that are currently operated by Virgin trains (although they probablly would have been in the past) as I think Cross-Country is now an Arriva franchise, not Virgin (correct me if I'm wrong).

Would that be Cross-Country too? if so you haven't mentioned any services that are currently operated by Virgin trains (although they probablly would have been in the past) as I think Cross-Country is now an Arriva franchise, not Virgin (correct me if I'm wrong).

You are correct, I was thinking of presently. Yes Virgin in tha past even ran to Swansea. The 170s to Cardiff would of been operated by Central Trains and 156/158s also turned up on these :)

Cross Country run as far as Cardiff with 170 units on services to/from Nottingham etc. And fairly sure theres a token 220/221 service from Cardiff to the north via Bristol? But these wouldn't be seen west of Cardiff. Newport by far the best for variety in freight and passenger workings.

The "token" XC Voyager Cardiff service comes off Barton Hill (Bristol) in the morning, empties to Cardiff to form the 0700 from Cardiff via Bristol Temple Meads (Reverse) to Manchester. There is a corresponding evening service back to Cardiff, then empties back to Barton Hill, but not sure of it's origin. The remaining XC service to Cardiff consists of XC 170s on a basic hourly Nottingham service.

As mentioned earlier, the XC service was under the Virgin franchise until November 2007 when it passed to Arriva - separate to the ATW service though.

Swansea was served by XC (not sure when it ceased) bizarrely by a Derby driver who lodged at Swansea overnight, along with a Bristol Train Manager.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived