Eveleigh Creations - Great Eastern 4 & 6-Wheel Coaches

Edwardian

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I'm probably late to the party, but if the 4-wheelers sell, then I would definitely be interested in a couple of Holden 6-wheelers. 

I've popped for a couple of 4 wheelers in the hope that the 6 wheelers then materialise.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

David Eveleigh has asked me to say that he is now open to receiving fully paid-up orders for the 4-wheel coaches, and he has provided these pictures of them:

I was just looking at those pictures - the do look good don't they :)

I was just looking at those pictures - the do look good don't they :)

Yes, I was late spotting his email, so I suspect that, by now, he has posted them on his website.  He has/will post some pictures illustrating the build. 

Note these pictures do not show either the ventilators or the solebar facia that are included with the etches.

• RMweb Gold

Yes, I was late spotting his email, so I suspect that, by now, he has posted them on his website.  He has/will post some pictures illustrating the build. 

Note these pictures do not show either the ventilators or the solebar facia that are included with the etches.

I only just read his email too as was away at the weekend. I did just query the sole bar - should have waited :)

In response to me at last showing signs of life(!), I've had a further update from David.

4-wheel coaches

David is inviting orders now for the First, Third and Brake Third four wheeled coach body kits at a price of £25 each + £3 postage within the UK - for oversees please enquire: easternandmidlandsmodels@gmail.com  

David has done a detailed photo-sequence of the build and incorporated that in a set of instructions which he is now finalising, and these will be published as a page on his website together with an update of the 4mm kits page.  All being well this will be updated during the course of the day. I stress that this is not on the website yet, but here is the link to David's Home Page: http://eveleighcreations.com/

6-wheel coaches

David now has all the information he requires, and is all set to go ahead with the 6-wheelers in the next few months.

I am looking forward to greatly the 4-wheelers.  It will be the 6-wheelers, however, that will be a really essential addition, so good to know that they will soon be in progress.  
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

In response to me at last showing signs of life(!), I've had a further update from David.

6-wheel coaches

David now has all the information he requires, and is all set to go ahead with the 6-wheelers in the next few months.

I am looking forward to greatly the 4-wheelers.  It will be the 6-wheelers, however, that will be a really essential addition, so good to know that they will soon be in progress.  

Same here - really looking forward to the 6 wheelers, but I was happy to plug for a few 4 wheelers to "help" the 6 wheelers along.

Same here - really looking forward to the 6 wheelers, but I was happy to plug for a few 4 wheelers to "help" the 6 wheelers along.

They make a nice little Great Eastern branch set, though. With the new laser-cut card Stroudley 4-wheelers that have just become available, and with  the Ratio GW 4-wheelers still in production, things are looking quite positive for the pre-Grouping or Light Railway BLT format! 

• RMweb Gold

It's an area I'm not overly familiar with - more of a Gresley man ;) but as GER stock was in use for decades after the GER ceased to exist I'm very pleased it's available.

David has put some pretty comprehensive instructions up!

• RMweb Gold

I don't know.  The D&S cast buffers supplied with their 6-wheelers had 4.5mm diameter heads. 

Thanks :) That "sounds" a bit small but I have no idea - on GER bogies the drawings I have if accurate measure at about 16" - and this is 13.5". Photos of GER 4 wheelers with their original underframes seem to be rare - but coupled to bogies the buffer heads seem similar sized. 

Thanks :) That "sounds" a bit small but I have no idea - on GER bogies the drawings I have if accurate measure at about 16" - and this is 13.5". Photos of GER 4 wheelers with their original underframes seem to be rare - but coupled to bogies the buffer heads seem similar sized. 

The info on Mr Rixon's Shapeways shop  says 12" https://www.shapeways.com/product/B3P8ABL24/ger-coach-buffers-x20

12" is suitable for 4-wheeled stock. I would expect 15" or 16" on 6-wheeled because of the greater throw at the end. I may have measured the head for the 6-wheeler at EARM; if I can find my notes I'll post here. But on a model I'd definitely fit the larger head to ward off buffer locking on sharper-than-prototype curves.

In other news, I now have on Shapeways a cut-down set of fittings for 4-wheeled coaches: see fittings set "C". This the "A" set of fittings with the middle springs and axleboxes left off and it's slightly cheaper. This is good for 4-wheeled coaches but not for all 4-wheeled NPCS. In particular, the "sundry" vans, including the "yeast van" in the Peter K range, seem to have had shorter springs and different spring-hangers. I do hope to make set "D" fittings for these (I want GER fruit vans for Strand), but currently lack drawings and close-in photos.

12" is suitable for 4-wheeled stock. I would expect 15" or 16" on 6-wheeled because of the greater throw at the end. I may have measured the head for the 6-wheeler at EARM; if I can find my notes I'll post here. But on a model I'd definitely fit the larger head to ward off buffer locking on sharper-than-prototype curves.

In other news, I now have on Shapeways a cut-down set of fittings for 4-wheeled coaches: see fittings set "C". This the "A" set of fittings with the middle springs and axleboxes left off and it's slightly cheaper. This is good for 4-wheeled coaches but not for all 4-wheeled NPCS. In particular, the "sundry" vans, including the "yeast van" in the Peter K range, seem to have had shorter springs and different spring-hangers. I do hope to make set "D" fittings for these (I want GER fruit vans for Strand), but currently lack drawings and close-in photos.

Not very good with this! The sundry van drawings are in tatlow historic carriage drawings npcs. Are the Peter k etches actually available?

Noting David Eveleigh does both single and double door versions in 2mm

• RMweb Gold

Not very good with this! The sundry van drawings are in tatlow historic carriage drawings npcs. Are the Peter k etches actually available?

I've got a couple of Peter K coach etches that I bought recently (it's how I know of Mr Rixon's products as I originally got them for those). Although if you do go for some double check what comes with them as mine said come with floors but didn't.

Yes, I have that book. But the drawings and photos therein are not clear enough to make accurate prints of the fittings. Notably, I can't see the exact geometry of the J-hangers. They seem to sprout from plates fixed to the solebars, which implies that they somehow turn under the solebars to bring the spring attachments in line with the springs...bit exactly how is not clear. If we can sort that part out then I'll do the prints.

Yes, I have that book. But the drawings and photos therein are not clear enough to make accurate prints of the fittings. Notably, I can't see the exact geometry of the J-hangers. They seem to sprout from plates fixed to the solebars, which implies that they somehow turn under the solebars to bring the spring attachments in line with the springs...bit exactly how is not clear. If we can sort that part out then I'll do the prints.

Hi Guy

the NRM Stratford works drawings includes:

10717    Steel Underframe for Fish & Fruit Vans R45 Class    1½" to 1' general arrangement of channel steel underframe 21'4½" with 13'6" wheelbase My comment: tracing torn but complete    6.1.99    R45    34M    SX10717 (2 fiche)  

I dont have this but assume it should contain the detail you need.

Regards

Jon