TMC announce NER G5 0-4-4T

Andy Y

Anyhow and slightly drifting off topic.

So, TMC/Bachmann have announced a G5. And a great choice that is. Especially with it's link to the railway very near TMC and because of the building of a full size replica.

However, I would have thought that a J27 was a much more saleable prospect.

Does this mean that someone else already has the J27 in their sights?

Yes, I would have thought one of the NE 0-6-0 classes must come soon; C, P or P1, or P2.  However, the P3 is a bit too modern for me. 

Anyhow and slightly drifting off topic.

So, TMC/Bachmann have announced a G5. And a great choice that is. Especially with it's link to the railway very near TMC and because of the building of a full size replica.

However, I would have thought that a J27 was a much more saleable prospect.

I really hope so!!

Does this mean that someone else already has the J27 in their sights?

• RMweb Gold

Very pleased the G5 is coming, hope that is sells well. I can't quite decide which of the first 3 models to go for.

Visits to both TMC and the G5 builders will make nice Spring trips out from my location. I hadn't realised TMC had a retail operation until recently.

...I hadn't realised TMC had a retail operation until recently.

Or in my case that the 'T' no longer meant 'Trafford', and that they had said retail operation located not 15 miles from relatives on the North York moors whom we visit frequently. No use for a G5, but their plates now... Looking forward to my spring visit too.

What wonderful news!

A question for TMC, how easy would the hopper be to remove, should you want a variant with coal rails but with Westinghouse pump and no push pull apparatus?

Actually, can I narrow down my previous question?

Does anyone know of a photo of 1882 working in the London area pre-WW2?

From what I can work out, it was allocated to Stratford from c1938.

Thanks in advance for any pointers, Kevin

During our research we found quite a few photographs of 1882, later 7279 and finally 67279. Yeadons Register has 3 photographs all in its Stratford days, but you will also find photographs online on the Disused Stations website of 67279 at work on the Saffron Walden branch. One of the Yeadons photographs is taken in January 1939 which was the month it was transferred to Stratford. 

All the best,

Alex

• Like 1

What wonderful news!

A question for TMC, how easy would the hopper be to remove, should you want a variant with coal rails but with Westinghouse pump and no push pull apparatus?

Regarding conversions of bunker types I'm afraid we will have to wait for EP samples before commenting on how the various types of bunker will be manufactured. However your question highlights an interesting point about the G5, our research showed in excess of 30 combinations of livery and detail differences.

All the best,

• Like 1

Regarding conversions of bunker types I'm afraid we will have to wait for EP samples before commenting on how the various types of bunker will be manufactured. However your question highlights an interesting point about the G5, our research showed in excess of 30 combinations of livery and detail differences.

All the best,

Thanks for reply.

I'll need to hang fire on preordering. I'm looking at examples that worked the Northallerton-Hawes Branch, and it seems a large number had westinghouse pumps, but coal cage (no hopper) in my photos.

I would have suspected that the hopper would slot into the existing bunker design and should be fairly easy to remove, but we will have to wait and see. :)

I would like to order one of these but I was wondering if someone could clarify which, if any, of the proposed engines ran on the Epping and Ongar line. This is my nearest preserved line and I would prefer to get one of "their" engines if possible.

I would like to order one of these but I was wondering if someone could clarify which, if any, of the proposed engines ran on the Epping and Ongar line. This is my nearest preserved line and I would prefer to get one of "their" engines if possible.

There is a Great Eastern Area loco included in our G5 models. No 67322 [35-257Z] first went to Stratford shed in August 1938 as no 2093 becoming 7322 in 1946 and 67322 in March 1951. It stayed at Stratford until July 1951 when it moved to Cambridge. Whilst at Stratford its duties would have included working both the Epping - Ongar and Palace Gates - Seven Sisters services.

All the best,

There is a Great Eastern Area loco included in our G5 models. No 67322 [35-257Z] first went to Stratford shed in August 1938 as no 2093 becoming 7322 in 1946 and 67322 in March 1951. It stayed at Stratford until July 1951 when it moved to Cambridge. Whilst at Stratford its duties would have included working both the Epping - Ongar and Palace Gates - Seven Sisters services.

All the best,

Many thanks 257z it is then!

Well I struggling. I want to order one but I'm not sure which one to go for. Possibly 67342.

However I am very pleased to see this model being announced. Last year I had become very despondent with my modelling. Various failed projects which never worked how I hoped, and a points failure which means I will have to some point rip out my fiddle yard. Also my wish to do a bit of Great Eastern Region fell down flat after the total waste of time of the F5 project, so I decided to sell off all of the GE region stock I had collected including the one Hornby J15 (plus all of my renumbering attempts) so I could have some money for holiday and buy the new ex. SECR Birdcages that came out.

But I held off selling the three non-corridor LNER coaches I had just encase something came up.

And it has! That together with the new J72 would be something at least. Something new to do, and look at and read about.

Well done TMC!!

I've had a G5 for some time...

post-13358-0-52648200-1519856814_thumb.jpg

Seriously, it is nice to know No Place will get another 0-4-4 tank it can't really justify, though it is more appropriate than the O2 currently running on the line.  The only question is which one?

Also nice to know I'll not have to have another session of combing Yeadon and other books to find one that ran with a boiler with the dome in the wrong place....

"Son of No Place" - ie the OO layout that will follow N-gauge Croft Spa will definitely be set in the NE Region (and most likely have a couple more G5s as well).

Les

• Like 2

I've just been looking up BR allocations to see which one to order. This may be of interest:-

67281 Guisborough to 10.54, Stockton to 4.55, South Blyth to 12.58 (only this shed suitable for late crest)

67250 Darlington to 3.48, Selby to 9.57

67263 Durham to 4.56, South Blyth to 7.57, Hull Botanic Gardens to 10.58

67342 Darlington to 7.51, West Hartlepool to 2.52, West Auckland  to 10.52, Northallerton to 11.55, Sunderland to 2.58, Malton to 12.58

67327 Kittybrewster to 8.52, Keith to 7.54, Kittybrewster to 2.55

67322 Stratford to 7.51, Cambridge to 11.56