RAILS ANNOUNCE CALEY 812 CLASS 0-6-0s

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

Given Bachmann US has the TTTE licence I suspect coming to a shelf in Milwaukee about June next year!

[killjoy]

They already make the TTTE versions! They aren't allowed to use the TTTE tooling for anything else though (hence no Talyllyn or Dolgoch versions) so I guess the reverse is also true.

[/killjoy]

• RMweb Premium

Ok, I have pre - orded 2 of them. Frightening really, first rtr engines I have bought since the early 1980s. 

I expect folk will talk about details for ages till we see them, but for anyone interested these 3 books will help with the many variations in livery and fittings seen throughout the lives of these engines. 

Caley  828 , Jim Macintosh , ( published by CRA ) 

Caledonian Railway Livery , Jim Macintosh , (Lightmoor Press and the CRA) 

The Caledonian Railway Jumbos, H.J.C. Cornwell , (Lightmoor Press and the CRA) 

I just hope they run as well as my tatty old black liveried one, a rough video of which can be seen here as a wee taster. 

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/2091/entry-19965-shunting-part-2-look-no-hands/

• Like 3

Not my era, not my area, but crikey that's pretty.

Time to pull out the rule book and remind myself of #1.

Its not mine either but that livery is just, yes!

Remind yourself?

I live by it!

Edit-

Just pre-ordered one and it is saying I have ordered two, one dispatched (obviously not) and the other unconsigned, does anyone know if it is a glitch with the pre-order system or do I need to contact rails on Monday?

I havent looked through the whole thread yet so I might find my answer myself as I go through the other 3 pages.

Edited by royaloak

Silly question: Did they ever carried Lined BR Black, like Donald and Douglas did in the Railway Series?

I´d personally hope for a lined early one in clean finish then. But for now the pre-grouping version is more then welcome. Really nice to see a proper as bulit condition besides the preserved one!

• Like 1

- they ran latterly from Thurso to Dumfries, so should appeal to a wide range of Scottish modellers.

Luckily 828 ran to Laira to have its wheels turned after it was overhauled! 

Thats my excuse and I am sticking to it!  :laugh:

• Like 3

Silly question: Did they ever carried Lined BR Black, like Donald and Douglas did in the Railway Series?

I´d personally hope for a lined early one in clean finish then. But for now the pre-grouping version is more then welcome. Really nice to see a proper as bulit condition besides the preserved one!

Despite being photographed regularly on passenger services south west of Glasgow, BR considered them freight locomotives so they remained in plain black. They'd probably have looked quite handsome in lined though. 

Im personally very excited by this announcement, having grown up with 828 down the road from me. Hopefully between this and the J36, Hornby and Bachmann will look closer at Scottish prototypes on the assumption that these both sell well. I see no reason for them not to: long lived, far travelled and numerous with not many Scottish steam era layouts unable to justify one or several. 

• RMweb Gold

Not to mention the prettiness of their pre-grouping liveries. I think that models like this, the J36, the peckett, andrew barclay etc. will also be bought by people who wish to encourage the manufacturer to make more of them.

I'll be having a LMS one 'cos under rule 1 if it says LMS on it then it got sent all the way down to my somewhere Derby-ish shed for repairs and running in. Locos got sent from all over the country to my shed for these purposes 'cos I said they did; and sod off to anyone who wants to argue.

• Like 6

I´d personally hope for a lined early one in clean finish then. 

I've looked into the 812's & 652's a fair amount and while for a time 57625 sported a few special embellishments none carried the additional passenger lining John T Kenny gave them I'm afraid (aware of this truth or not may haps when bashing his Donald model Awdry was the one who actually created the livery, don't think any photos of it were taken before he repainted it NWR blue). Given that they filled in on passenger services quite often it's a shame really but if wanting to smarten them up like their crews may of done perhaps you could add lining transfers to one of the BR livery offerings  ;)

Edited by steves17
  • Like 1

Ok, I have pre - orded 2 of them. Frightening really, first rtr engines I have bought since the early 1980s. 

I expect folk will talk about details for ages till we see them, but for anyone interested these 3 books will help with the many variations in livery and fittings seen throughout the lives of these engines. 

Caley  828 , Jim Macintosh , ( published by CRA ) 

Caledonian Railway Livery , Jim Macintosh , (Lightmoor Press and the CRA) 

The Caledonian Railway Jumbos, H.J.C. Cornwell , (Lightmoor Press and the CRA) 

I just hope they run as well as my tatty old black liveried one, a rough video of which can be seen here as a wee taster. 

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/2091/entry-19965-shunting-part-2-look-no-hands/

Three excellent books, well worth getting.

• Like 1

What you will be getting - my conversion of a Hornby 700, finished last month.  A lovely looking loco, even in black, and one that should be popular ...

I can bore for England on the subject of the pre-group 0-6-0 designs, particularly those later assessed at 3F or smaller power rating. It's a struggle to find one that isn't a handsome job, and even in neglected black plus accumulated dirt condition they look like what they are, the essential grafters that kept the railway running. (This may date from the very kind explanation of a driver on a J6 who showed me 'the essentials' while waiting the signal to go back to Hitchin light engine. "Board's off, got to go son!".)

• Like 2