Annie's Virtual Pre-Grouping, Grouping and BR Layouts & Workbench

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, DonB said:

Why does the French nomenclature seem/sound  so much more elegant that=n the English ?

Not sure, but in this case I feel there was a slight whiff of dental hygiene about the phrase…

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Regularity said:

What the French call a “plaque tournant”.

7 hours ago, DonB said:

Why does the French nomenclature seem/sound  so much more elegant that=n the English ?

6 hours ago, Regularity said:

Not sure, but in this case I feel there was a slight whiff of dental hygiene about the phrase…

Its probably one of those water-jet thingies for cleaning between the teeth and around the gingival margin, rather than flossing*.  Something along similar lines to the French use of "Ordinateur Personnel" instead of the dreaded Anglo-Saxon "Personal Computer"!

* Though flossing sometimes sounds like a subculture euphemism for an activity its best not to know about...

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

Broad Gauge cheer up picture.  I shall quote the Broad Gauge Society page.

"Two for the price of one, and a lot of coal! Here's Rover class locomotive "Sebastopol" in 1890, with driver W. Sansom, in his white cord jacket, looking satisfied with the huge pile of coal in the tender! Two other tenders are visible in the photograph, both equally full of the stuff. In the left background is ex Bristol & Exeter locomotive 2020. Originally numbered No 14, she was built in house by the B&E in 1870, and lasted until the end of the Broad Gauge."

6VwaTRb.jpg

• Like 8

Seeing as the BG Society have it covered, I won't say anything about the huge blocks of coal!  :whistle:

An interesting feature is the locomotive weathervane on the gable end behind the locomotives...

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, Hroth said:

An interesting feature is the locomotive weathervane on the gable end behind the locomotives...

Yes it's a really nice feature.  If I was a more wealthy Broad Gauge zealot I'd get a craftsperson to make one just like it.

DRuacXP.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I happen to have a kit of parts to lay dual gauge baulk track; - BUT it's not an easy kit of parts to use and while it might be fine for a short BLT with a hidden fiddle yard I'm not exactly liking the idea of using it for the 25 miles of the Minehead branch.  And yes I'm very well aware that the real world Minehead branch was converted to standard gauge in 1882 without going through a dual gauge transition.

I did at one time happen to have a photo showing part of the now standard gauge branch still laid with baulk road track, but I seem to have expertly lost it.  It's on the strength of that photo that I misused part of the dual gauge kit to convert the conventional sleepered bullhead trackwork I was using over to baulk road track.  Unfortunately because I'm using part of the kit in a way that wasn't intended the standard gauge baulk track doesn't have transoms so I'm having to bury it in the ballast.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Well done lads!   So this is the dual gauge kit once it's properly assembled.  It was devised to use the standard procedural track parts made for TANE and TRS19 so there had to be some compromises, but overall it's a reasonable representation.

I've contacted Steve Flanders and asked very nicely if I could have all his left over dual gauge bits that weren't publically released so I can do some further experimenting and problem solving.  A truly wonderful talented friend and gentleman was working with Steve on the dual gauge project, but sad to say he died unexpectedly and the project has been stagnating ever since.  

4DkuTTo.jpg

Yfh1PvK.jpg

• Like 7
  • Round of applause 5

2 hours ago, Annie said:

Well done lads!   So this is the dual gauge kit once it's properly assembled...

4DkuTTo.jpg

Yfh1PvK.jpg

I suppose the guard* on standard gauge trains will have to announce "xxxx station, please mind the gap when alighting"...

:whistle:

* Or rather, the platform porter(s)

Edited by Hroth

• RMweb Premium
34 minutes ago, Hroth said:

I suppose the guard* on standard gauge trains will have to announce "xxxx station, please mind the gap when alighting"...

:whistle:

* Or rather, the platform porter(s)

Nope, because the track is always arranged so that the coaches are close to the platform whatever variety they might be.  You can see this in my second snap above where the common shared rail is on the platform side.

In the dual gauge track kit there's some special crossover tracks to enable standard gauge trains to swap sides on the approach to station platforms where this is necessary.  I'm going to have to use these at a couple of the stations on the line

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, Annie said:

Yes it's a really nice feature.  If I was a more wealthy Broad Gauge zealot I'd get a craftsperson to make one just like it.

DRuacXP.jpg

Is it the money or the zeal which you feel to be lacking?

• Funny 1

4 hours ago, Annie said:

Nope, because the track is always arranged so that the coaches are close to the platform whatever variety they might be.  You can see this in my second snap above where the common shared rail is on the platform side.

When did the GWR do away with single sided stations?  I know they were a feature of the "early days" of the Broad Gauge, but I didn't think they'd lingered on to complicate mixed gauge track!

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Hroth said:

When did the GWR do away with single sided stations?  I know they were a feature of the "early days" of the Broad Gauge, but I didn't think they'd lingered on to complicate mixed gauge track!

The Minehead branch in 1890 was single track with most stations having a conventional single platform with a passing loop.  The Bristol & Exeter's Minehead branch was built with nominal oversight by Brunel via his assistant James Burke so while it was absorbed into the GWR in 1890 it was never a foundation part of the original GWR; - so definitely no Brunel single sided stations were ever a part of the design.

rPmwKig.jpg

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Regularity said:

Is it the money or the zeal which you feel to be lacking?

Unfortunately it's the money Simon.  If it was possible to cash in zeal at a useful exchange rate I would have long ago commissioned any number of Broad Gauge digital models.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Broad Gauge narrow gauge GWR cheer up picture.  As a good Catholic girl I'm very fond of Saints.  Here's the prototype Saint at Westbourne Park shed in 1902.  Now who among the class can tell me the name that was given to this locomotive?  The first one, not the second one just to make it a little bit more of a challenge.

Photo courtesy of the Great Western Trust.

t9IUEZF.jpg

Edited by Annie
fumble brain
  • Like 7

42 minutes ago, Annie said:

Broad Gauge narrow gauge GWR cheer up picture.  As a good Catholic girl I'm very fond of Saints.  Here's the prototype Saint at Westbourne Park shed in 1902.  Now who among the class can tell me the name that was given to this locomotive?  The first one, not the second one just to make it a little bit more of a challenge.

Photo courtesy of the Great Western Trust.

t9IUEZF.jpg

That's Dean, Ma'am, William Dean...

Tiptoes off, in a quiet and surreptitious manner.

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1

6 hours ago, Annie said:

The Minehead branch in 1890 was single track with most stations having a conventional single platform with a passing loop.  The Bristol & Exeter's Minehead branch was built with nominal oversight by Brunel via his assistant James Burke so while it was absorbed into the GWR in 1890 it was never a foundation part of the original GWR; - so definitely no Brunel single sided stations were ever a part of the design.

Which makes sense at a station that isn't going to pass two passenger trains at once, you only need one platform for halting the branches only passenger train at the station while a non-stopping train chugs past.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

'St Catherine', one of my old TS2004 models that I've been doing some repair work on today.  I seem to have finally got past the double jab fatigue so I spent some time doing various fettling and fix up jobs on my GWR 'Saints' and 'Scott' Atlantics.  Most of it wasn't particularly difficult to do with minor texture fixes of one sort or another and various dependency updates and improvements such as whistle files that actually do sound like a GWR engine and not the expiring squeak of some small mammal that has just been run over on the road.

The layout where 'St Catherine' is presently shedded is based an old version of Tristyn & District constructed by Colin from the creator group I belong to, but it's been very cleverly and effectively Winterised by a Trainz creator who goes by the name of stationbeem.  It's one of my favourite test tracks for running newly fettled locomotives on or even just for simply playing trains on.  I've installed the layout into various versions of Trainz at one time or another, but TANE (Trainz A New Era) seems to be where it's happiest.

06sXrnR.jpg

'Ivanhoe' under test after a visit to the works.  I have a soft spot for the GWR Atlantics and Tristyn is a great layout for letting them have a darn good run.  I used to let them have a run about on the Cornish Mainline to Penance until someone told me I shouldn't really do it. 

I look on these older simple digital models as being like the better type of 'O' gauge tinplate models that were available pre-war rather than them being fastidious finescale models correct in every detail.

sk5yemh.jpg

oSgOuJ4.jpg

Edited by Annie
Um.........
  • Like 9

The 'Saints' are my favourite class of GWR engines (bar 0-4-4Ts 34 and 35) and if I ever did run one on the 4mm M&CR, it would have to made from the old Wills kit as the modern Hornby model is, to my eyes at least, completely lacking in the elusive atmosphere that I seek in railway modelling. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, CKPR said:

The 'Saints' are my favourite class of GWR engines (bar 0-4-4Ts 34 and 35) and if I ever did run one on the 4mm M&CR, it would have to made from the old Wills kit as the modern Hornby model is, to my eyes at least, completely lacking in the elusive atmosphere that I seek in railway modelling. 

I can see why you'd prefer the old Wills kit as it definitely has something about it that the plastic Hornby item doesn't have a claim to.

I like Saints as well, - meaning the GWR kind in particular, - and in addition to St Catherine, I have digital models of St Agatha and St Dunstan as well.  When I came to place the order for the three engines with Paulz Trainz it was a real struggle to decide which members of the class I wanted to order.  The temptation to ask for No. 2905 'Lady Macbeth' was almost overpowering, but I managed to pull myself together and finally make the choices I did.

4v2GsXa.jpg

• Like 3

A bit more relaxing?

:jester:

However, true Locomotiv-Musik should be more like this

DDATC.jpg.2494ba5b93ad2ffe020a9c33d2c66ec0.jpg

None of that arty stuff!!!

(And the component parts of the loco illustrated are impeccably pre-grouping too)

Edited by Hroth
Replacement of over-large record sleeve with something a bit less memory hogging...
  • Like 4