Annie's Virtual Pre-Grouping, Grouping and BR Layouts & Workbench

• RMweb Premium

I think I might have posted this before, but I'm sure you won't mind seeing this again.  I used an old postcard image of one of the first types of GWR Steam Railmotors as a texture and fitted it my railmotor's body mesh.  It certainly shows some promise so I'll be coming back to this and seeing if I can make a proper job of the texture.

xbQDCqF.jpg

• Like 10

20 hours ago, Annie said:

Barrow Hills is actually a junction, but we won't hold that against it.  There's only a small community of farm workers who live near the station,

Those farm workers need to watch out.  Didcot was a tiny hamlet until the GWR built the junction for what was originally the Oxford branch there.  One thing leads to another and the place is now quite a major town!

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

A member of the creator group I belong to has uploaded new traction engine loads and static models.  He's also done driveable traction engines which could open up all kinds of possibilities, but I'm going to ignore those for the moment as I've got plenty of other things I need to do first.

Seen at Great Marsh goods shed.

MxbYo06.jpg

And at Mosston on Sea.

oSxAdz2.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

A wider view of Mosston on Sea goods yard.  I was  going to give Mosston on Sea an ordinary goods yard crane, but then I remembered that I said that they did logs from managed wood lots so they would need something a bit more substantial.  Those two logs the traction engine driver has just brought into the yard are a bit down the road though and the yard foreman doesn't seem to be too pleased about it.

XK2qOz9.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

That's an excellent picture Stephen, - thanks for that.  The modelled traction/portable engine loads have wooden chocks set against the wheels, but for tying down the rope modelling would have to be specific to the model wagon.  I've seen it done in Trainz, but only rarely. as it wouldn't have been easy to do.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

Do we have a date for that photograph?                                                                                         

21 June 1920 - though I'm told that may be the date the photograph was entered in the register. I'm prepared to believe it was taken during the preceding week - a lot of the register dates are Mondays.

I'm curious as to the wagon. It has plain grease axleboxes that point to it being of some age but otherwise it's of Great Northern pattern - compare Tatlow, LNER Wagons Vol. 1, p.61, though that's a 1914-built vehicle which I doubt this - not 6 tons capacity v. 10 tons for the one in Tatlow. Tatlow Vol. 2 p. 191 lists four 10 ton machinery wagons (with grease axleboxes) at Nov 1919, of which two went to the LMS and two to the LNER in 1928. He gives length as 18' 1½" whereas the Great Northern ones are 18' ¾". The pattern of the axleguards is different - the side arms come down lower. My guess is that this is an older pattern of GN traction wagon than Tatlow notices, maybe supplied second-hand to the Joint soon after the take-over?

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

31 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

21 June 1920 - though I'm told that may be the date the photograph was entered in the register. I'm prepared to believe it was taken during the preceding week - a lot of the register dates are Mondays.

I'm curious as to the wagon. It has plain grease axleboxes that point to it being of some age but otherwise it's of Great Northern pattern - compare Tatlow, LNER Wagons Vol. 1, p.61, though that's a 1914-built vehicle which I doubt this - not 6 tons capacity v. 10 tons for the one in Tatlow. Tatlow Vol. 2 p. 191 lists four 10 ton machinery wagons (with grease axleboxes) at Nov 1919, of which two went to the LMS and two to the LNER in 1928. He gives length as 18' 1½" whereas the Great Northern ones are 18' ¾". The pattern of the axleguards is different - the side arms come down lower. My guess is that this is an older pattern of GN traction wagon than Tatlow notices, maybe supplied second-hand to the Joint soon after the take-over?

Thank you.  That's something to try to find out more about

• RMweb Premium
35 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

My guess is that this is an older pattern of GN traction wagon than Tatlow notices, maybe supplied second-hand to the Joint soon after the take-over?

It would be certainly nice to have a proper machinery wagon like that one.  My own reskin is based on a generic 17.5 ft one plank model mesh.  If I had a drawing I could possibly have a go at it in Sketchup 8, but I don't know how successful I'd be.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

11516.jpg

[Embedded link to NRM DY 11516.]

Nice to see a Portable Engine, they're not as "sexy" as a Traction Engine, didn't get nice liveries and so weren't photographed as often!  I expect the one in the picture was in black'n'rust.  They were mainly for powering threshing machines and other agricultural appliances, and were towed about by horse.  Or by a traction engine...

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

On 22/05/2022 at 11:50, Hroth said:

I expect the one in the picture was in black'n'rust. 

The one I saw working at a vintage farm show a few years back was. I'll see if I can find the photo I took of it.

EDIT: Found it! It was at Little Ellingham Vintage and Agricultural Show back in 2017, shredding wood into kindling which was being sold by its owners.
image.png.12c32ff93b6e4b5ea21cda416c80072c.png

Edited by RedGemAlchemist
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, RedGemAlchemist said:

The one I saw working at a vintage farm show a few years back was. I'll see if I can find the photo I took of it.

EDIT: Found it! It was at Little Ellingham Vintage and Agricultural Show back in 2017, shredding wood into kindling which was being sold by its owners.
image.png.12c32ff93b6e4b5ea21cda416c80072c.png

The crane must be well over 40 years old.

Adrian

• Agree 1

That's a fine period piece and very appropriate for HM's birthday.  It (they?) would look splendid at the head of a royal train proceding sedately to Windsor or Ballater.  I had to go upstairs to see what Mike Sharman had to say on the subject:

"With the coal carried over the driving wheels and presumably only one fireman carried he was cursed with the problem of not knowing if he was coming or going!"

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Adam88 said:

That's a fine period piece and very appropriate for HM's birthday.  It (they?) would look splendid at the head of a royal train proceeding sedately to Windsor or Ballater.  I had to go upstairs to see what Mike Sharman had to say on the subject:

"With the coal carried over the driving wheels and presumably only one fireman carried he was cursed with the problem of not knowing if he was coming or going!"

It's an impressive model from TS2004 days and while it's a bit more basic in some of its details as compared with the other Cramptons I have from the same digital modeller it runs well and sounds marvellous.  The main problem with it is its size and to turn it on a turntable involves having to split it into thirds and reassemble it again.  I don't really use it that much as compared with my other mid-19th century engines and it was only on the layout because I'd been overhauling it so it would run properly in Trainz TRS22.

The poor fireman would have definitely had his work cut out for him though with attending to two boilers and I would imagine he wouldn't have been feeling best pleased about it.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I'm a failure as a mid-19th century employer because I've just realised that my double Crampton has two firemen.

SyYZ0v2.jpg

Two of my other Cramptons.  These were modelled a short time after the double Crampton and have fully animated valve gear,

KeUJI6A.jpg

• Like 6
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Edwardian said:

Stunning.

Was that a bird call near the end?

Yes the original Minehead branch layout has many wonderful sound effects sewn throughout its landscape.

34 minutes ago, Hroth said:

I see we've got the time-travelling supervisor too...

At this stage of things I hadn't learned how to banish time travellers from the footplate.  TANE wasn't so bad since the time travellers  were properly dressed and looked like railwaymen, but when TS2019 came along a bunch of scruffy council bin men wearing hi-vis jackets became the default footplate figures.   Now that I know how to edit the footplate attachment points I can place the footplate crew I want without any interlopers turning up.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Being inspired to see if I could discover more information on the double Crampton, I came across accidently what must be the strangest Crampton Locomotive I’ve ever seen, compared to the double Crampton!B295C62D-4D8C-4D80-A21A-E069685CE8F2.gif.6308e697eb891bb75d23f074d16d1e21.gif

Left: No 162, named Alma. This Crampton-type engine was built in 1855, and converted to Petiet steam-drier form at some later date, probably in the 60's.

It was withdrawn and scrapped in 1873. I suppose this is a 6-2-0 configuration.

http://www.douglas-self.com/MUSEUM/LOCOLOCO/petiet/frexp.htm

It looks like the famous French Crampton design I’ve seen Annie post here, and with the description, it possibly was exactly like that until it’s very unusual conversion! 

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Oscillation said:

Being inspired to see if I could discover more information on the double Crampton, I came across accidently what must be the strangest Crampton Locomotive I’ve ever seen, compared to the double Crampton!B295C62D-4D8C-4D80-A21A-E069685CE8F2.gif.6308e697eb891bb75d23f074d16d1e21.gif

Left: No 162, named Alma. This Crampton-type engine was built in 1855, and converted to Petiet steam-drier form at some later date, probably in the 60's.

It was withdrawn and scrapped in 1873. I suppose this is a 6-2-0 configuration.

http://www.douglas-self.com/MUSEUM/LOCOLOCO/petiet/frexp.htm

It looks like the famous French Crampton design I’ve seen Annie post here, and with the description, it possibly was exactly like that until it’s very unusual conversion! 

Now that is really strange.  Though I do note from the webpage that the Petiet steam drier was a successful design even if it looked downright odd.

This is the French Crampton I've posted here before.

• Like 3