Search for an old club layout

Dave Turner

Hi all,

The guys on the Templot forum suggested that I posted this question with you.

I warn you now that I'm fishing, probably on a hiding to nowhere, for information on a dimly recalled layout.

Some time in the 60's in one of the railway modeller's magazines (which one I can't recall) there was an article about a large permanent club layout in the order of 60 x 25 ft and probably larger. It had something for everyone, mainline terminus, branch lines, main track and plenty of opportunity for all aspects of the railway modellers' art. At the time I 'drooled' at the thought of being able to visit. Not possible unfortunately.

As far as I recall the layout was definitely OO gauge based in East Anglia, possibly/probably in Kings Lynn - UK , though I can't be certain.

Whether it was in that article or a later one I understood that the club was about to lose their accommodation.

Does anyone have an idea of which club layout I've remembered and, if so, do you have any information about it?

regards

Dave

I suspect you are thinking of the original Bury St Edmunds club layout. There was a write up in a mid sixties Railway Modeller, it was based in a former scout hut in Bury St Edmunds. When the area was re-developed (there is a supermarket there now) the club moved to a farm near Drinkstone, where they are still based. Parts of the original layout were incorporated into the new one that was described in a 1978 RM (April I recall).

The second layout survived until fairly recently until it succumbed to age, I am not sure of the current status as I haven't been a member of the club for over ten years and haven't visited for about five.

Edit: The club website has a page on the history and a plan of the second layout:

http://www.burystedmundsmrc.com/history/history.html

Edited by giz

• RMweb Premium

I suspect you are thinking of the original Bury St Edmunds club layout. There was a write up in a mid sixties Railway Modeller, it was based in a former scout hut in Bury St Edmunds. When the area was re-developed (there is a supermarket there now) the club moved to a farm near Drinkstone, where they are still based. Parts of the original layout were incorporated into the new one that was described in a 1978 RM (April I recall).

The second layout survived until fairly recently until it succumbed to age, I am not sure of the current status as I haven't been a member of the club for over ten years and haven't visited for about five.

Edit: The club website has a page on the history and a plan of the second layout:

http://www.burystedmundsmrc.com/history/history.html

Just looked at it and you missed by a month. It can be found in the 1978 May issue, with a follow up article on operation in the July issue.

Just looked at it and you missed by a month. It can be found in the 1978 May issue, with a follow up article on operation in the July issue.

Thinking back it would be May. It was the copy I took with me to Swansea when I started my industrial training placing from university soon after Easter 1978. Blimey, that's 40 years ago, doesn't time fly! At that time I had no idea I would be operating it 20 years later.

Edited by giz