Scalelink etches and castings

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

I'm currently searching for some detailing bits for my station building canopy.I'm particularly looking for some GWR station valencing and columns .The Scalelink items are dearer than Slaters/Langley offerings.Are they worth the extra as I've never used their products before and does anyone else stock them other than themselves.Trying to save on postage. ;) Any help please.

If you are ordering small bits email them and check - several times I've ordered bits from them and they've reduced the postage from that stated on the website. Never used their valencing but some of their other etchings are delightful and their fine mesh grille is better than anything else I've ever seen for doing fine loco grilles in N scale.

• RMweb Gold

Robin, I agree that they can be rather costly if you are only using a few bits off each etch. It depends however what you are after.

Eg I considered the rooflights/canopy glazing for "The depot" but realized it would break my budget completely as I'd only be able to use one half of each etch. However I have just ordered some of their industrial windows, a very nice etch from where I will be able to use almost everything. If I had ordered these from other suppliers the combined cost would have been higher.

So I guess it's a matter of considering carefully how much you need / can use from each etch. The quality is certainly very good!

Ditto wot 'e sed! I have used a good many of their detailing etches including some benches and wrought iron tables and chairs, weather vanes, clocks, fences and gates, and ferns. All have been very fine and excellently etched and thought out. I cannot speak for their valencing but if it is up to the standards of the other items you can't go wrong!

They also do some rather nice white metal pre-war cars.

• 8 years later...

Archived