• RMweb Gold

I have lurking in the store a P19 Python which I bought as a badly-built kit at a small show some years ago. It has brushed up pretty well but now it comes to finishing it. My layout runs in the time frame of about 1955-60 depending on what stock i put out.

I know that 565 finished its days as a Departmental and is still around at Didcot, but can anyone give any information as to the last in revenue stock? I've seen a Chris Nevard photo of one in BR Crimson and was wondering how long they lasted.

If they didn't last long enough my intention is to finish it as a Departmental to be tripped in and out occasionally.

Edited by TheSignalEngineer

• 4 weeks later...

I cannot answer definitively but I can share a few observations:

The latest published photo I can find of one in regular service is in the series BR Parcels and Passenger Rated Stock by Larkin. Volume 1 has no pictures but says all 4-wheel GWR CCTs were extinct by 1971: I suspect it was much earlier than this for P19. Volume 3 has a picture of P19 number 563 in Crimson with BR lettering. It is marked condemned and although the picture is undated, helpfully it is parked up next to Siphon C 1518 (diagram O8) which was withdrawn in November 1956 (listed in Slinn/Clarke GW Siphons). I suspect therefore that you would get away with one in your timeframe.

If you did want a departmental one, DW314 (which is the earlier P14 diagram) is pictured in departmental service as a Cell Truck as late as 1963 in Cheona Railways in Profile volume 8.

Mike

Hi All,

As per Marks notes, I finished my model of No. 565 in BR maroon with yellow lettering. I have to say that is most likely that a black departmental livery could be used along with a DW prefix on the number for a later portrayal. My build of my PYTHON is on the Little Didcot thread which is linked below.

All the best,

Castle