Minerva announce Manning Wardle K Class 0-6-0ST

Andy Y

Chris

I forgot to ask – what size axles will the Minerva model be using? Will the wheels be turn-able or will they need to be replaced for Scale7? Not a problem either way – I'm just trying to plan ahead. A long way ahead.

Richard

Chris

I forgot to ask – what size axles will the Minerva model be using? Will the wheels be turn-able or will they need to be replaced for Scale7? Not a problem either way – I'm just trying to plan ahead. A long way ahead.

Richard

Richard,

The axle diameter is 4.05mm, which is the standard driving axle for Minerva's locos. The axles are mounted in slotted circular bearings with outer diameters of 5.98mm and 6.97mm. The wheels will have a metal tyre mounted on a moulded hub, spokes and rim so turning down the thickness of the wheel may be problematic.  

I hope this helps,

Chris

We are specifying clearances to accommodate the wider S7 wheel spacing. Stand by for news on this and other channels. 

Thank you Chris, please advise details as soon as you feel able so that I can cover the news in the next S7 Newsletter, due mid May or thereabouts.

regards, Graham

The axle diameter is 4.05mm, which is the standard driving axle for Minerva's locos. The axles are mounted in slotted circular bearings with outer diameters of 5.98mm and 6.97mm. The wheels will have a metal tyre mounted on a moulded hub, spokes and rim so turning down the thickness of the wheel may be problematic. 

What is key here is the method by which wheels are secured to the axles.  Providing longer axles is not a problem, getting wheels to rotate without wobble after refitting is a potential troubel spot.

Thank you Chris, please advise details as soon as you feel able so that I can cover the news in the next S7 Newsletter, due mid May or thereabouts.

regards, Graham

Will do Grahame. We have asked the designer to try to accommodate S7 dimensions, especially in the splashers.  I will advise when we see the next iteration of the CAD drawing. 

Regards,

Chris

• Like 2

It's nice to see that you've gone back to your industrial roots, Chris, and have chosen another prototype from the World's greatest locomotive-building city.

It's been a long time since I bought anything for my O gauge layout but, hey, it's a Manning Wardle! I will probably have one but I'll have to get the P.W. gang out to sort the curve outside the shed before I can run it but then at least I'll be at last able to run my Ixion Hudswell Clarke too.

• Like 4

regards, Graham

I should point out that mid-May is the date for distribution to members. I need all copy by the 3rd week in April at the latest! No pressure...

• RMweb Premium

If so many members want S7 examples of these loco's would it be possible to talk to Minerva and see if we can order a special S7 batch. What numbers would they consider it to be economical viable to make a separate set of wheels for this to happen.

• Like 2

If so many members want S7 examples of these loco's would it be possible to talk to Minerva and see if we can order a special S7 batch. What numbers would they consider it to be economical viable to make a separate set of wheels for this to happen.

Excellent idea Mike. If Little Loco Co can do it... If Chris was willing to entertain the idea I could ask the members through the Newsletter to put their hands up – preferably while holding their cheque books!

Are there going to be alternative smokebox doors, or will the model be made in such a way that it can be easily altered by the buyer, such as the door being removable so that a replacement flap type smokebox front and door can be made and fitted?

http://www.rtmodels.co.uk/4mm%20scale%20manning%20wardle%20class%20k%20loco%20kit.jpg

Edited by Ruston

A member of the S7 society has already contacted us privately and we have given a very rough indication of the base cost for the additional tooling that would be necessary.  Obviously, we are not going to discuss costs on an open forum such as this as that is a matter of commercial confidence or what other suppliers are promising. The key issue for us is the number of potential S7 sales set against the likely increased production cost.  

Are there going to be alternative smokebox doors, or will the model be made in such a way that it can be easily altered by the buyer, such as the door being removable so that a replacement flap type somebox front and door can be made and fitted?

http://www.rtmodels.co.uk/4mm%20scale%20manning%20wardle%20class%20k%20loco%20kit.jpg

At this stage we are only planning to make the later circular door. However, it will be a separate part that will not be difficult to remove. 

• Like 2

A member of the S7 society has already contacted us privately and we have given a very rough indication of the base cost for the additional tooling that would be necessary.  Obviously, we are not going to discuss costs on an open forum such as this as that is a matter of commercial confidence or what other suppliers are promising. The key issue for us is the number of potential S7 sales set against the likely increased production cost.  

Being the current Trade Liaison Officer for the S7 Group, I have been in contact with Chris Klein to develop the approach as outlined here.  The S7 Group Committee is aware of the "exchanges" above and intends to try to firm up an estimate of likely interest in S7 wheels for the MInerva model.

regards, Graham Beare

• Like 2

My apologies to Graham, and Chris, if I rather jumped the gun. However, for my own private purposes, I am in the market for two K Class locos, preferably in blue, which will need to be converted to S7 – by whatever means is available. 

Chris, can you accept this as a firm reservation or should I send a separate email via your website?

Richard Kelham

Edited by wagonman

My apologies to Graham, and Chris, if I rather jumped the gun. However, for my own private purposes, I am in the market for two K Class locos, preferably in blue, which will need to be converted to S7 – by whatever means is available. 

Chris, can you accept this as a firm reservation or should I send a separate email via your website?

Richard Kelham

Richard,

It is best to place your reservation using the form so that we can keep a proper track of orders. A copy is attached for your convenience.

Regards,

Chris

Minerva Manning Wardle Order Form.pdf

Richard,

At the appropriate time, please ensure that you respond positively to a pending e-mail message from Rob Thompson ( which ought to be received by all S7 members at some point this weekend).

• Like 1

Richard,

It is best to place your reservation using the form so that we can keep a proper track of orders. A copy is attached for your convenience.

Regards,

Chris

Thanks Chris. I'll fill it in and post it tomorrow or Saturday.

Richard