Minerva announce Manning Wardle K Class 0-6-0ST

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium

Strikes me there might be an after market for sundry etched cabs, going off the photos on the Colonel Stephens site.

I had already made that point!

Dava

We operated quite a few similar Manning Wardles in Australia. "Pioneer" (which had a few numbers, the last being X394 and 1001) was of a slightly earlier type (old "I class" perhaps?) from 1861 which had a much bigger tank and a locally-brewed cab. I reckon I might being able to make a good near-enough model using this as the basis. I have been working on a similar project with a Dapol A1 Terrier, but that project stalled because I am too busy with other things.

We operated quite a few similar Manning Wardles in Australia. "Pioneer" (which had a few numbers, the last being X394 and 1001) was of a slightly earlier type (old "I class" perhaps?) from 1861 which had a much bigger tank and a locally-brewed cab. I reckon I might being able to make a good near-enough model using this as the basis. I have been working on a similar project with a Dapol A1 Terrier, but that project stalled because I am too busy with other things.

292 and 293, the Manning-Wardles used on the Camden line, were K class locos - as one one used by South Bulli colliery. 29, 30 and 31 (Originally used on Richmond line) were I class.

regards,

Craig W

Thanks Craig. After a little more digging I did manage to find an image of No. 292, built 1884

So, If I manage to figure out the carriages in use at the time, I could do a 19th-century Camden Tram. KA Tramcar?

17420_a014_a014000358.jpg

Excellent photo. The chimney is much taller than the Minerva model, but this shows well the style of cab we will be supplying. Ours will not include the strapping visible on the front cab sheet as this varied and we think it would be easier to add rather than remove. It should be a straightforward job to trim the cab and remove the roof and rear sheets to leave just the large weatherboard. 

Regards,

Chris

• Like 3

Just a thought - is it possible to make the cab a separate part which can be clipped and unclipped off the locomotive, by means of a couple of locating tabs? This would make it a very simple proposition to then have aftermarket cabs, but also would make it much easier to add/remove cab interior detail.

• Like 1

Just a thought - is it possible to make the cab a separate part which can be clipped and unclipped off the locomotive, by means of a couple of locating tabs? This would make it a very simple proposition to then have aftermarket cabs, but also would make it much easier to add/remove cab interior detail.

Martin,

Thank you for the suggestion. Like politics, designing a model locomotive is a blend of the art of the possible and compromise.  The flare on the back of the bunker will make a robust clip-fit quite difficult to achieve so we have to resort to a glued butt-joint. However, based on the glue we currently use, I don't think it will be difficult to remove with causing damage. The front cab sheet may be a little more difficult because of rods and other accoutrements.  We are also investigating a moulded break line under the roof cab-sheet to enable removal leaving in place only the large weatherboard as mounted on Sharpthorn. 

Regards,

Chris 

post-13142-0-08653100-1522159995.jpg

• Like 3

On the point of the cab strapping, I also believe that some had two support rods running from the top corners of the cab to somewhere on the firebox or even the rear top of the saddle tank similar to this arrangement. I cannot find any specific photos at the moment, but I do recall seeing it somewhere:

L1001.jpg

Edited by hartleymartin

• RMweb Gold

This might be an opportunity for Minerva to break into the Japanese market:

MW816 of 1882 - originally to Lucas & Aird, but somehow ended up as Japanese National Railways No 1292!

Now on display in Japan's National Railway Museum:

https://rlkitterman.deviantart.com/art/Nippon-Manning-Wardle-0-6-0-Zenko-484131620

That's some groovy pipework on that one!

My only other specific request to the manufacturers is to design it so that it is easy to disassemble. One of my first "serious" painting projects was on the Ixion Hudswell Clarke, and I very much liked the fact that it was very easy to pull apart for a custom paint-job. Almost every RTR item that I purchase gets very quickly pulled to pieces and customised in some manner.

• RMweb Gold

My only other specific request to the manufacturers is to design it so that it is easy to disassemble. One of my first "serious" painting projects was on the Ixion Hudswell Clarke, and I very much liked the fact that it was very easy to pull apart for a custom paint-job. Almost every RTR item that I purchase gets very quickly pulled to pieces and customised in some manner.

Have you posted any photos of your repainted Hudswell Clarke on here, please, Martin?

I am all most sure that this is a old I class. I am a long way from home so cannot check my lists of Manning Wardle loco's so cannot be 100% positive.

Agreed - looks like an 'Old I' from the uneven wheelbase - centre axle set further back then the K.

Brill Tramway - Huddersfield (s/h ex T Walker Contractor) and Earl Temple (new from MW, later renamed Brill No1) were both K Class.

Selsey line - Ringing Rock was K Class too - full history on http://colonelstephenssociety.co.uk/locomotive%20notes%20topics/manning%20wardle%20locos.html

254 K Class were made, the very last one was in fact built twice so accounts for 2 of them - first in 1891 and then rebuilt as a new K in 1914!

Around 60 with detail differences but fundamentally the same.

Edited by Osgood

Have you posted any photos of your repainted Hudswell Clarke on here, please, Martin?

I think so, but I am not sure where I hosted the photos.

Hopefully we're not getting too far off the topic of the Manning Wardle K class, but I do intend to do a custom paint job not dissimilar to what I did with the Hudswell Clarke:

10968551_10152977483071251_8848452997850

Lord Hartley is pondering another locomotive purchase for his estate railway:

486859_10151608538481251_1147079486_n.jp

Edited by hartleymartin
  • Like 4

I am thinking about a late 1920s/early 1930s light railway theme as a suitable stage for a Minerva Manning Wardle or two to run alongside PALMERSTON, one of my Ixion Hudswell Clarkes seen here in need of some gentle weatering on Cwm Bach. An exchange facility with the GWR would also allow a Minerva 57XX 0-6-0PT to appear from time to time. 

post-13142-0-26442500-1522566370_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

It is great for me as I am currently building a line based on the proposed East Wittering extension of the Selsey line. Who would have thought we would ever have two Selsey engines in rtr (albeit requiring a few alterations to match the prototypes)?

• Like 1

It is great for me as I am currently building a line based on the proposed East Wittering extension of the Selsey line. Who would have thought we would ever have two Selsey engines in rtr (albeit requiring a few alterations to match the prototypes)?

As the inimitable Jeeves might have said, "We aim to give satisfaction, sir."

• Like 1