Dapol Announce O&K JHA Hoppers in OO gauge

MGR Hooper!

• RMweb Gold

The numbers are different both on the boxes and on the wagons,

I have the earlier logo versions with 5 wagons from each batch

For example 4F-050-001 and 4F-050-002 are the outers from the first batch and 4F-050-005 and 4F-050-006 are outers from the 2nd batch with the corrected bogie side-frames. It is the same for the inners, they have different box numbers. Most of the original batch are sold out anyway although could obviously turn up on eBay etc.

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, BR Blue said:

The numbers are different both on the boxes and on the wagons,

I have the earlier logo versions with 5 wagons from each batch

For example 4F-050-001 and 4F-050-002 are the outers from the first batch and 4F-050-005 and 4F-050-006 are outers from the 2nd batch with the corrected bogie side-frames. It is the same for the inners, they have different box numbers. Most of the original batch are sold out anyway although could obviously turn up on eBay etc.

Excellent, thanks for the info!!

I just had a look on Dapol's site, there's non of these on there anywhere!!!

Forgot to mention earlier, the thickness of the shim is .75 mm., I actually used a piece of expired railway Sentinal card!!!😄

Interesting to say it's been corrected on the second batch,  as on the digest they claim it's not a flaw and is intentional, and also that the weight of the wagon will push the wheels down so it sits right?!?

Jo

• RMweb Gold

It definitely looks different. Someone told me it had been corrected and I had a look at mine and it does look different. I will post a picture. There is also a buffer missing.

20220401_162617.jpg

Edited by BR Blue

• RMweb Premium

Has anybody sussed out how to get the sides off these?

I want to add some loads by the way of a false floor that sits on top of the cross bracing but the way the sides are angled inwards, theres no chance without taking it apart.

I did remove the screws from the underside but thats as far as I went and side wouldn't budge.

• 2 months later...

I've got a pack in the works for the first five wagons Dapol released in the revised livery. There will be a pack for the second five, plus graffiti in due course, all of which will also appear in N.

IMG_20220530_231854_259.jpg.8668a6baf6a8deecdc53f0420d2486d1.jpg

IMG_20220530_231854_198.jpg.d279b6e3fea93c9b288e5f75152b58fa.jpgIMG_20220530_231854_310.jpg.36e06f863c471621a4e645e105bc47ed.jpg

More pictures and detail on the link below, the pack is £8.50 plus £1.50 UK P&P. I have a small quantity of these on their way to me that should be in stock in a few weeks, please send me a message if you're interested.

Handy for weathered models or repaints. The decals are designed to cover the Dapol printing, but some factory printing is in the wrong place so for ultimate accuracy some removal is needed. All explained in the instructions - there's plenty of prototype photos on the web.

Jo 

• Like 10

On 03/04/2022 at 18:22, Gary H said:

Has anybody sussed out how to get the sides off these?

I want to add some loads by the way of a false floor that sits on top of the cross bracing but the way the sides are angled inwards, theres no chance without taking it apart.

I did remove the screws from the underside but thats as far as I went and side wouldn't budge.

I hope you worked it out but if not there are two horizontal clips which you have to push in with a screw driver, bit awkward but they do go, push them towards the centre of the wagon 

20220627_160641.thumb.jpg.a7f8b94550c57faf3ee3196bf3273d4e.jpg

Here's the chassis stripped down

20211216_153500.thumb.jpg.4bdf7998ee1c640fbf4c600b7eaa4a00.jpg

I've swapped all my sides so I have old style one side and new style the other, two rakes for the price of one 

20211222_181057.thumb.jpg.17efcb20111d4071fd5afdb20b726329.jpg

20211222_200703.thumb.jpg.8c0bb1e34b851464413c3ee5222dd365.jpg

Edited by SouthernMafia
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Round of applause 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/03/2022 at 06:17, Rich Papper said:

So, ive been steadily building up a rake of these wagons and all has been great up until now with all wagons (14 so far) being complete and buckeyes working fine, right up until the last three (15,16 & 17th) that have arrived with me. 

All three have broken handrails, all the broken rails were in the box and i can re glue them into place with out problem, so no big deal, just that deflated feeling you get when you see it damaged coming out the box!

I won't say where they came from as my gut instinct is that they have had a rough trip being shipped to me in the "cough DPD" delivery van.

However two of them are suffering from the open buckeye issue, in both cases the springs were in the box, now ive had a read on here about how to fix them and put them back together, im willing to have a go but im worried that if my attempts fail i could loose the springs.

My question is can you buy the Dapol buckeyes seperate to replace the whole thing? Are the buckeyes listed in the link above compatible with the Dapol ones and are Kadee buckeyes compatible with the Dapol buckeyes? Id like to get a float of spare buckeyes with having to replace the whole lot on the rake.

Before anyone says about returning them, i could, but due to work commitments that would be a bit of a ball ache, so id rather go down the fix it route.

Cheers.

• RMweb Premium

Kadee springs are widely available as spares and might well fit (they're not expensive, at least not last time I bought them).  There's also a dedicated Kadee spring-pick tool for replacing them.

If it helps, I glued 50% of the buckeye claws on my JHAs.  Prevents them spontaneously decoupling.  Spring not needed in that case.

6 hours ago, GEARJAMMER said:

So, ive been steadily building up a rake of these wagons and all has been great up until now with all wagons (14 so far) being complete and buckeyes working fine, right up until the last three (15,16 & 17th) that have arrived with me. 

All three have broken handrails, all the broken rails were in the box and i can re glue them into place with out problem, so no big deal, just that deflated feeling you get when you see it damaged coming out the box!

I won't say where they came from as my gut instinct is that they have had a rough trip being shipped to me in the "cough DPD" delivery van.

However two of them are suffering from the open buckeye issue, in both cases the springs were in the box, now ive had a read on here about how to fix them and put them back together, im willing to have a go but im worried that if my attempts fail i could loose the springs.

My question is can you buy the Dapol buckeyes seperate to replace the whole thing? Are the buckeyes listed in the link above compatible with the Dapol ones and are Kadee buckeyes compatible with the Dapol buckeyes? Id like to get a float of spare buckeyes with having to replace the whole lot on the rake.

Before anyone says about returning them, i could, but due to work commitments that would be a bit of a ball ache, so id rather go down the fix it route.

Cheers.

West Hill wagon works also some magnetic couplings specially for these wagons.

• Agree 1

On 23/06/2022 at 22:55, Steadfast said:

I've got a pack in the works for the first five wagons Dapol released in the revised livery. There will be a pack for the second five, plus graffiti in due course, all of which will also appear in N.

IMG_20220530_231854_310.jpg.36e06f863c471621a4e645e105bc47ed.jpg

More pictures and detail on the link below, the pack is £8.50 plus £1.50 UK P&P. I have a small quantity of these on their way to me that should be in stock in a few weeks, please send me a message if you're interested.

Handy for weathered models or repaints. The decals are designed to cover the Dapol printing, but some factory printing is in the wrong place so for ultimate accuracy some removal is needed. All explained in the instructions - there's plenty of prototype photos on the web.

Jo 

Hi Jo - would you consider 4mm versions of the number panels / plates in 4mm for the original livery??

• Like 1

7 hours ago, LaGrange said:

Hi Jo - would you consider 4mm versions of the number panels / plates in 4mm for the original livery??

Evening! Yes absolutely. If you could send me an email to steadfastmodels@outlook.com please, we can discuss the details. 

Time is limited at the moment as I'm in the middle of a course for work, but I can definitely sort something. 

Cheers

Jo

On 12/07/2022 at 23:20, Steadfast said:

Evening! Yes absolutely. If you could send me an email to steadfastmodels@outlook.com please, we can discuss the details. 

Time is limited at the moment as I'm in the middle of a course for work, but I can definitely sort something. 

Cheers

Jo

Thanks - in no rush at all, so will let you finish your coursework

• 4 months later...

Restarting an old topic.... I think I have found a way to very easily correct the ride height on the first batch without the use of a shim!

I've now got some from old and new batches and have made a comparison. It looks like the new batch have got a revised etched pick-up that has a hole for a height locator pip that is moulded onto the side bogie just above the hole for the pin point (A in the photo below). Presumably Dapol were able to modify the bogie mould slightly to add this pip. The length of the vertical pick-up tab is also slightly shorter on the revised etch.

The effect of this pip is to hold the entire etch at the right height, which is fractionally higher than on the first batch. It may also be the case that the stamping for the bearing cup is slightly higher on the revised etch. Interestingly, the two retention pips on the top of the bogie that are melted in place to hold the etch (the ones that Gary cuts away in his mod) are not actually melted on the second batch. This allows the etch to sit higher and there is a gap in this area between the etch and the top of the plastic. A similar gap to the one that Gary has corrected with the use of a shim on the previous page (B in the photo below).

Interestingly, on both versions, the hole for the pin-point bearing in the side frame is large enough so that the etch can be set at both the correct and incorrect heights!

Bogie from the 'NEW' batch:

IMG_0937.jpg.220fc9183a63c0b2f54c00dc2e79d8c6.jpg

Whilst re-inserting the wheel-sets back into the bogies, on the old bogie I accidentally pushed the wheel set in too far, snapping the superglue that was holding the etch in place in the area around the pinpoint. This enabled the wheel set to be pushed up to the correct height momentarily - held by the 'springiness' of the etch.

This made me think, can the old version be corrected without the use of a shim by simply snapping the superglue and bending the shim slightly? And the answer is.... 'yes'!

This means it takes about 2 mins to correct a bogie and no need to break the plastic pips and add a shim. Simply do the following:

Remove the wheel sets. Insert a blade behind the etch and torque it slightly to crack any residual glue attaching this area of the etch to the side frame. This doesn't need much force and on several wheel sets I noticed that there wasn't even any glue so this was more a 'check' to make sure that the etch was free from the side frame.

IMG_0935.jpg.099835d7a212453c7d28f6b1f94dcc7b.jpg

Insert pliers as shown, bend the etch slightly upwards to raise the height of the bearing cup. Again, this really doesn't need very much force at all.

IMG_0936.jpg.8bbf4e44b0851a392c963a4b995b0e3b.jpg

Re-insert the wheels, and enjoy!

Guy

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

hi has anyone used these Hunt Magnetic Couplings  Coupling Pack For O & K Dapol JHA Hopper Wagons- OO Gauge as I cannot seem to get then into the coupling pocket and already broken 2 of them. There seems to be an obstruction and seeing there as specially desgined for these wagons is some what disappointing

I contacted west hill wagon works for advise but no repsonse from them as yet.  

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, 47007stratford said:

hi has anyone used these Hunt Magnetic Couplings  Coupling Pack For O & K Dapol JHA Hopper Wagons- OO Gauge as I cannot seem to get then into the coupling pocket and already broken 2 of them. There seems to be an obstruction and seeing there as specially desgined for these wagons is some what disappointing

I contacted west hill wagon works for advise but no repsonse from them as yet.  

Not experienced those exact couplings myself but have other hunt couplings.

In my opinion they are a good idea but poorly executed. Cheap brittle material (no doubt someone will say that is what 3d printed material is like, well in this instance it is not fit for purpose), poor tolerances and also very little R and D. I get the impression they have not tested the couplings very much on a layout.

I also passed on my impressions to them at Warley and they told me that things have improved since I last bought some. I didn’t really believe them and your post seems to confirm my thoughts.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Having read all the comments above reference the couplings and alternative options in the end ive gone down the route of just glueing them all shut, even the ones that worked! Ive gone on the theory that these wagons don't get split apart and shunted about, they spent most of their time coupled in rakes and whilst the buckeyes work when coupling together...you still have to lift one to uncouple (unless ive missed something). So i just lift them to join them all together and they stay like it. Working buckeyes seem a bit of a gimmic, maybe Dapol might consider producing models like this with buckeyes moulded permanently closed, it could potentially bring the cost of the model down?

Anyway.... back to why ive come back to this topic, ive been looking at my rake of wagons and they are in need of weathering which naturally lead me to start looking at the real things on my visits to Torr quarry where i can see them being loaded, i have noticed that pretty much all of the JHAs have the top edges beaten down where they have no doubt been hit so many times by the loading shovel, im thinking to recreate this i could maybe take the sides off, heat them up up and bend them, i do have a spare damaged wagon, but as yet, not been brave enough to try it.

The paint work is another head scratcher, i have noticed that some have been very crudely repainted to cover graffiti (only to then be recovered in graffiti) so my simple question is who produces the best matching 'Yeoman blue' paint as to that applied to the model? On a similar note is the silver/grey part of the livery, ive seen at least one wagon where clearly Merehead was all out of blue paint and the whole wagon side redone in silver (ive also seen a black one and really need to get a pic of that), but the model looks more grey, so if a paint a wagon silver, it will look different to the others, so does anyone know a paint colour/code that matches Dapols version of Yeoman silver/grey?

Then we get on to the graffiti itself, does anyone produce graffiti transfers that could be used? Ive been looking at the graffiti on the real JHAs and as much as we all hate graffiti if got to reluctantly admit, some of it is actually pretty good a certainly brightens up the quarry on a damp dull morning, ive started taking photos of some of it, is it possible to get images of the graffiti copied from a photo and scaled down to a 4mm scale transfer to go on these wagons?

Ive included below (or above) some of the photos ive taken, interestingly one of the plain silver ones (with Murder1 on it) is outer wagon 19313, one of the ones produced by Dapol.

340758705_5982826768439212_3015876386921377389_n.jpg

340835027_172501239034245_8739382339456788601_n.jpg

340911490_1200097520696330_7361602155712430469_n.jpg

340919348_1243261226594408_313633516984477069_n.jpg

341005729_532988352336940_7963542152458933611_n.jpg

341106733_1688776594906030_8613378496559089775_n.jpg

341262267_1937670469909182_8734803680819031858_n.jpg

341385942_768874457917648_7314462339499613646_n.jpg

341468436_196168929855055_5448236957794479963_n.jpg

341475254_784086326184671_1050571486534626760_n.jpg

341478690_6069877786464233_2754644838362261755_n.jpg

341511059_797274668006968_3294069863819727108_n.jpg

1 hour ago, GEARJAMMER said:

The paint work is another head scratcher, i have noticed that some have been very crudely repainted to cover graffiti (only to then be recovered in graffiti) so my simple question is who produces the best matching 'Yeoman blue' paint as to that applied to the model? On a similar note is the silver/grey part of the livery, ive seen at least one wagon where clearly Merehead was all out of blue paint and the whole wagon side redone in silver (ive also seen a black one and really need to get a pic of that), but the model looks more grey, so if a paint a wagon silver, it will look different to the others, so does anyone know a paint colour/code that matches Dapols version of Yeoman silver/grey?

Then we get on to the graffiti itself, does anyone produce graffiti transfers that could be used? Ive been looking at the graffiti on the real JHAs and as much as we all hate graffiti if got to reluctantly admit, some of it is actually pretty good a certainly brightens up the quarry on a damp dull morning, ive started taking photos of some of it, is it possible to get images of the graffiti copied from a photo and scaled down to a 4mm scale transfer to go on these wagons?

The real wagons are silver and blue, Dapol have done them grey and blue. As for a shade to match. Pass. RAL Capri blue is pretty close, but I'm not 100% convinced as the model is matt and my RAL chart is gloss.

I've not seen any wagons with the blue repainted to cover the graffiti. A lot of wagons have the silver wearing to show the blue underneath though. As you mention, a small number have been painted silver or blue to cover the graffiti.

I have a set of graffiti decals for the O&K hoppers, based on the running numbers Dapol have offered. There's one or two still to draw, and they'll be available in N before 4mm, but they're nearly done. No timescale yet, learning to drive a train has filled my time the last year but they are progressing. 

Work in progress, but you get the jist. All traced from real photos, scaled to fit the model.

image.png.6f07b79a7889dede889a487c5ec35724.png

Jo

Edited by Steadfast
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

22 minutes ago, Steadfast said:

The real wagons are silver and blue, Dapol have done them grey and blue. As for a shade to match. Pass. RAL Capri blue is pretty close, but I'm not 100% convinced as the model is matt and my RAL chart is gloss.

I've not seen any wagons with the blue repainted to cover the graffiti. A lot of wagons have the silver wearing to show the blue underneath though. As you mention, a small number have been painted silver or blue to cover the graffiti.

I have a set of graffiti decals for the O&K hoppers, based on the running numbers Dapol have offered. There's one or two still to draw, and they'll be available in N before 4mm, but they're nearly done. No timescale yet, learning to drive a train has filled my time the last year but they are progressing. 

Work in progress, but you get the jist. All traced from real photos, scaled to fit the model.

image.png.6f07b79a7889dede889a487c5ec35724.png

Jo

They look great, id certainly be interested in some OO gauge versions when they are ready. If any of the photos ive posted are suitable for making transfers then please feel free to use them. Im in Torr fairly regular so can photograph whatever is about if you'd like me to post more.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, GEARJAMMER said:

They look great, id certainly be interested in some OO gauge versions when they are ready. If any of the photos ive posted are suitable for making transfers then please feel free to use them. Im in Torr fairly regular so can photograph whatever is about if you'd like me to post more.

Thanks, I have a pretty good stash of pics I've been fortunate to take, but I'll bear in mind if I'm struggling. 

I'll keep the thread updated with progress.

Jo

• 4 weeks later...
On 04/10/2021 at 00:08, Going2theDogs said:

Hi All,

Does anyone have any ‘photographic evidence’ they could share with anything else but a Class 59 hauling these O & K wagons.

Thanks in advance.

I stumbled across this the other day on Flickr. Thought it was an interesting protoype. Assume this is two outer wagons on a loaded test. Anyone know anything about the train in question, and which test coach is at the rear?

44131922891_db75b42b45_o.jpg.adfc79f7ae00ed3a32d652063a0a4fb3.jpg

• Like 5

21 hours ago, scouse889 said:

I stumbled across this the other day on Flickr. Thought it was an interesting protoype. Assume this is two outer wagons on a loaded test. Anyone know anything about the train in question, and which test coach is at the rear?

44131922891_db75b42b45_o.jpg.adfc79f7ae00ed3a32d652063a0a4fb3.jpg

Looks like test car 2. Which was used for a lot of new stock brake testing north of Crewe. I'd hazard a guess that's what's going on here. 

• Informative/Useful 1