Dapol Announce O&K JHA Hoppers in OO gauge

MGR Hooper!

I notice the Outer Wagons also come DCC ready with flashing tail lamps !!!

I think that’s a first (not counting stuff from the huge bulb era). Very welcome it is too but I hope only one outer will carry the lamp. After all, we don’t want lamps just behind the loco or in the middle of the train. That would be as bad as no lamps at all on the trailing end of the train.

• RMweb Premium

JHA, you mean? JNAs are the Network Rail 'Falcon' box wagons and I don't think were used as a TOPS code on anything ARC/Hanson have used, particularly the latter, I think they only have JHAs? They were Powell-Duffryn built, with LTF25 bogies, as opposed to the O&K ones Dapol are doing.

The JNA code isn't the exclusive preserve of the Falcons.

These are JNAs as well. First two are at Peak Forest

post-408-0-85444200-1522193302_thumb.jpg

post-408-0-70097200-1522193303_thumb.jpg

Clitheroe Cement works with inbound coal (TBH, the set is a "spot hire"rake and could be found on stone duty after they were cleaned out.

post-408-0-17523000-1522193305_thumb.jpg

Plenty of stone carrying JNAs here - including some for Foster Yeoman and ARC (and the new ones for MRL) - so very likely to be 59 hauled.

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Informative/Useful 1

One question I have is do the JHAs work in 'sets' and if so, do these have an average length (i.e. two outers sandwiching a numbers of inners)?

Simon

Yes you will need a pair of outers as none of the 59s have buckeye couplers. However there is no fixed makeup of each set, so you may have more outer wagons in the middle of the set coupled buffer to buffer, or a short set of JHAs with some of the newer buffer fitted wagons added to bring it up to length.

The shortest set I've dealt with is 6, longest was over 40. Admittedly the 6 were part of the 7A09 jumbo to Acton, but once there it splits into 3 trains for various terminals in London. Dependant on terminal, the London portions are normally 14-20 from memory.

Single portion trains such as Bassett and Eastleigh tend to be 19 but can be less, dependant on wagon and product availability and customer demand, though Theale can be a massive train of around 40 wagons.

Jo

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

I think that’s a first (not counting stuff from the huge bulb era). Very welcome it is too but I hope only one outer will carry the lamp. After all, we don’t want lamps just behind the loco or in the middle of the train. That would be as bad as no lamps at all on the trailing end of the train.

RevolutioN announced it for their IZA pairs. Lets see who gets to market first

They look great but to do a minimum rake of 6 inners & 2 outers will set you back £380 which is a big ask not to mention, like me, if you don't have a Class 59 then even more (probably over £150) when the newly tooled version is released, tempted but will have to wait until next year if they're still available.

• RMweb Premium

Plenty of stone carrying JNAs here - including some for Foster Yeoman and ARC (and the new ones for MRL) - so very likely to be 59 hauled.

I thought about the VTG leased blue JNA aggregate wagons afterward (and didn't know about the first ones you posted), but my point was that Darryl's original quote was "I was hoping for the JNA used by ARC / Hanosn and National Power as they could do them in three liveries for the 59", which I don't think applies to the JNA, rather the JHA. I'm not aware of ARC or Hanson having JNAs, in any guise.

• RMweb Gold

The JNA code isn't the exclusive preserve of the Falcons.

These are JNAs as well. First two are at Peak Forest

attachicon.gifJNA1.jpg

attachicon.gifJNA2.jpg

Clitheroe Cement works with inbound coal (TBH, the set is a "spot hire"rake and could be found on stone duty after they were cleaned out.

attachicon.gifjna3.jpg

Cheers,

Mick

I need some Mendip Rail JNAs Mick.......nobody makes them  :cry:

• RMweb Gold

I need some Mendip Rail JNAs Mick.......nobody makes them :cry:

Another reason to get a shilouette cutter. Looks an easy scratch build :P

If you are coming up to he SWAG do in Taunton next month I will be showing how to design / build a wagon with the cutter

Edited by The Fatadder

Excellent - if they are as good as the Slurry tanks & Sand hoppers then a treat in store - how many in a Jumbo ??

Anything up to 44 wagons, although there are normally various types in each 'portion' for when it splits at Acton yard for onward haulage to the various destinations.

The 59/2s were built with buckeyes but as you say none have them now.

Yup 202 - 206 still have the long air pipes from those days. 201 has shorter pipes like the /0s and /1s. There's also a couple of bits of metal work below the coupling from the buckeye mounting

Jo

• Informative/Useful 1

I thought about the VTG leased blue JNA aggregate wagons afterward (and didn't know about the first ones you posted), but my point was that Darryl's original quote was "I was hoping for the JNA used by ARC / Hanosn and National Power as they could do them in three liveries for the 59", which I don't think applies to the JNA, rather the JHA. I'm not aware of ARC or Hanson having JNAs, in any guise.

Oops, yes I did mean JHA's

Regards

Darryl

• RMweb Gold

RevolutioN announced it for their IZA pairs. Lets see who gets to market first

Hi there,

Thanks for mentioning. Just to avoid any confusion the flashing tail lamp in the Revolution models isn't DCC controlled but a simple battery-powered LED with a switch on the underside of the model.

cheers

Ben A.

There are four Outer wagons to be manufactured. But the worry is they all have the DCC fitted option, suggesting they will all be pre-fitted with lamps.

Need to raise this on the Dapol forum...

Edited by martin_l_jones

One good thing about Dapol is they do tend to rerun wagons regularly with different numbers and in batches of 4 so it's easier to spread the cost as you know there will be more versions coming.

Some others you never know if you will get any more any time soon and feel need to buy a complete rake on release in case you have to wait 3 years for some more.

• 2 weeks later...

One good thing about Dapol is they do tend to rerun wagons regularly with different numbers and in batches of 4 so it's easier to spread the cost as you know there will be more versions coming.

Some others you never know if you will get any more any time soon and feel need to buy a complete rake on release in case you have to wait 3 years for some more.

I like the Dapol approach too. Bachmann tends to produce one wagon at a time, then do a re-run with a different running number if and when the original sells out. It’s a bit of a pain. By the time a third or fourth re-run appears, if it does, the first production has sold out.

I was rather caught out by the autoballasters. They run in rakes of five but only three of the four non-generators were produced in a matching livery. I’ll give the latest container flats a miss; there’s no guarantee that it will be possible to assemble an authentic rake.

• RMweb Premium

I like the Dapol approach too. Bachmann tends to produce one wagon at a time, then do a re-run with a different running number if and when the original sells out. It’s a bit of a pain. By the time a third or fourth re-run appears, if it does, the first production has sold out.

I was rather caught out by the autoballasters. They run in rakes of five but only three of the four non-generators were produced in a matching livery. I’ll give the latest container flats a miss; there’s no guarantee that it will be possible to assemble an authentic rake.

Not quite certain by three of the four in matching livery?

They originally produced three wagons.

Generator fitted

Non-Generator flat top

Non-Generator round top.

All in the same livery.

Admittedly, there was only one number of each of the flat and round top version.

So if you wanted uniquely numbered wagons, then you could only have a set of three maximum.

I went to the trouble of individually numbering my JJA rake and despite a number of exhibitions, no one has actually noticed..........

JJAs aren't necessarily always rakes of five, there are one or two pictures out there of three or four sets. And not uncommon for single wagons to turn up in other trains. Discussed some way back on the original JJA thread.

Cheers,

Mick

Not quite certain by three of the four in matching livery?

They originally produced three wagons.

Generator fitted

Non-Generator flat top

Non-Generator round top.

All in the same livery.

Admittedly, there was only one number of each of the flat and round top version.

So if you wanted uniquely numbered wagons, then you could only have a set of three maximum.

I went to the trouble of individually numbering my JJA rake and despite a number of exhibitions, no one has actually noticed..........

JJAs aren't necessarily always rakes of five, there are one or two pictures out there of three or four sets. And not uncommon for single wagons to turn up in other trains. Discussed some way back on the original JJA thread.

Cheers,

Mick

Thank you. I don’t feel quite so bad about my four set now. 

Bachmann did do a second run of the non-generator curved-top with a different number. A third, or a second flat-top would have been nice but Dennis Lovett told me that Bachmann only had use of the licence for a limited time.

Rail Express reckons both liveries launched at the same time.

An illustration of how mixed up things can get, last night's 7O43 to Eastleigh was a set of 6 (2 outers, 4 inners), 5 IIA/HOA, and a further 8 JHA (2 outers, 6 inners) to make up the required 19.

Jo

Rail Express reckons both liveries launched at the same time.

An illustration of how mixed up things can get, last night's 7O43 to Eastleigh was a set of 6 (2 outers, 4 inners), 5 IIA/HOA, and a further 8 JHA (2 outers, 6 inners) to make up the required 19.

Jo

At Acton the other day a very mixed rake came in: HTA's, 3x Hanson JHAs, HTA, MRL HOA, 3x Hanson JHA's & MRL HOA