Brixton Hill tram depot and its Trams

thirty2a

10 hours ago, Andy Reichert said:

image.png.9ff99c6cdfbcf6ab25015b973cc3ed76.png

For Setts on straight track., I had good results with Slater Plasticard Roof sheets.

image.png

Many moons ago Slaters used to do a proper cobble stone sheet which we used on one of the club's early layouts and it looked very good. When we saw Slaters at the then Chatham exhibition, which they used to attend every year, we tried to restock, but they denied all knowledge of it ! 

All the best

Ray

Edited by wainwright1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

32 minutes ago, thirty2a said:

Route 88 running through to Greenwich 

756744ED-E177-4113-A5BF-06FAAE556E47.jpeg

Sorry Tony but the LCC PW engineers had a pride in laying their setts, which were uniform in size, at least out to the tramway margin.   You sure you have the 88 in the correct position?   Herewith a 22 close-up.2074.jpg.6c66ec970b914e15ed235e507f4ac114.jpg   Colin.   

Colin,

I just overlaid what was already there so if its wrong it was already wrong..

Have to bare in mind this will be based at the end of the trams existence and I have seen many photos of poor trackwork towards the end although I agree in general the track was to a high quality. I may have to revisit it now due to scrutiny though..

Tony

• Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 04/03/2019 at 09:13, coline33 said:

Yes, if the traverser is placed at the entrance end then LCC/LT practice had bays that end to hold at least one car on each road off it, back to the front wall.   This allowed cars requiring more than routine maintenance attention, not to block the operational roads.   The fitters attended cars for daily brake checking as they stood over the pits - something that Brixton Hill itself did not have!   So pits would be an added feature which would be helped in construction as you raise the floor upwards to accommodate a traverser.   Looks as though you are going to have to have a false basement!

Colin,

I hope you are well, having purchased a couple more books for the collection at Ally Pally recently (E1 trams and Feltham trams) I found some pictures of trams being scrapped in Brixton hill and there is definite evidence of pits! this coincides with a drawing in Stan Collins book that also shows them, not an issue either way really as I have now nearly finished cutting the pits anyway and as it is no longer Brixton, interesting anyway.

Tony 

18 hours ago, thirty2a said:

Due to the fact Sunderland Feltham has a different body profile I will have to cut the motor bogey holes directly into the united chassis also need them closer together anyway 

2E2AFD24-B97B-490F-80B4-115F677102DB.jpeg

F6E8839B-DDB4-4FFF-B93C-02AAFBEAA156.jpeg

BD0A4988-1F41-43F2-93EF-DE918152B92F.jpeg

Hi Tony.

From memory the Sunderland Feltham was the 'Cissie Car' which had same sized wheels on all axles. The ordinary Felthams had unequal wheels. It looks like you are fitting the wrong type of bogies to this one. (Both types of bogie are available from KW Trams).

Had a look around at Detling yesterday, and one of the traders (Model Road and Rail I think) had an old BEC E1 tram kit for sales. Not assembled, but it had been mucked about with and the previous owner had painted the main sides in cream paint. I could not tell if any of the parts were missing, so I left it. 

All the best

Ray

Edited by wainwright1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Cheers Ray,

don’t  worry the Sunderland is only donating the Bachman motor, I will cut the bogey sides of the united car off to use.

I am thinking of having a go at scratch building No1…

tony

Edited by thirty2a

Yes, Ray, the first two Experimentals and the Production Felthams had 'maximum-traction' trucks with two motors each to a driving axle taking 70% of the car's weight, the two 'ponies' taking the rest.   "Cissie" the third Experimental is 'equal-wheeled' each driving axle having a motor so making it in its original condition the most powerful London tram.   Bec-Kits therefore had two conversion kits for motorising, one for the Productions and the other for "Cissie".   All the best, Colin.

• 5 months later...

Let me shatter the silence since April!!!   Firstly, my Consultant does not want to see me until November so I continue to drain my hip infection at home with a weekly visit from the district nurse.   There is progress as the amount is reducing.   I can get now get into the driving seat and lift my left leg on to the pedal.   I was given a mock driving test - hill starts and emergency braking - which I passed.   After a lull, I have returned to overhauling my current fleet and now looking to construct further London classes.

Now, Tony, Ray, Andy, Gary, Kevin, David, "Engineer" and "West Croydon" are you still modelling London's trams in 4mm.   If you are please contact me on <feltham2099@hotmail.cio.uk> as I would like your feedback on forward planning to bring out the E3/Hr2 body for next July's 90th anniversary of the formation of London Transport.   With the 60th anniversary of the closure in 1952 last July, several modellers have realised that the TramAds Leeds HR2 is dimensionally wrong in the upper deck and what something done about it!!!   The questions for which I need views are related to a kit of a complete body or of each deck separately and whether white metal or 3D printing is preferred.   I have started collecting views which will be studied by two manufacturers.   So, I look forward to adding any feedback you wish to make to that already to hand.   If I do not hear from anyone then I will assume that there is no interest in E3/HR2 or the off-shoots with 3rd series E1s, Alpax replacement upper deck for E/1s and HR1.

Look forward to receiving your emails.   All the best, Colin.     

• Informative/Useful 1

Hi Colin, great to hear from you and you are mending slowly. Having amassed some of the beloved Felthams am now looking to renumber them. No current layout for running anything though. The depot still exists but is not currently operating..

I will email you

Tony

Thanks, Tony.   With the Felthams are you keeping to 2-rail for conduit only operation, please?   I am currently converting my OOC LPTB 2104 to LTE 2104.   I have new white LTE legal lettering in the post coming for approval to fit the valances on OOC Felthams which are shorter than those on the BEC Felthams.   I am nearing completion of trolley ropes for it but have not yet started on the pigtails and cleats!   Which fleet numbers and eras are you thinking of and I will gladly find the adverts carried most probably at the same time on both sides.   Just email them to me and I will explore!   Colin.

Hi Colin.

Pleased to hear that you are on the mend.

I am keeping an overview of this topic as Tony is a member of our club.

Just got over Covid, so should be back to the club next week

All the best

Ray

Not sure if it is my computer or the server running very slow at the moment.

• Like 1