Indian train runs away.

dullsteamer

Have  you  seen  the  TV  programmes  on  the  railway  in  Mumbai?  people  being killed  on  the  railway  is  just  accepted as  a  fact  of  life,  the  vast  majority  are  pedestrians,  everyone  just  walks across  the  tracks  without  a  care,  most  only  just  pausing  to  allow  the  train  past.  Significant  numbers  also  fall  from  the  roof  or  sides  of  trains  where  they  are  traveling.

For  comparison  road  deaths are around  150,000  a  year.

Pete

Edited by IWCR

• 1 year later...

To answer the OP, when I was there in 1987 most stock was vacuum braked as steam was fairly prevalent then. EMU stock was the usual EP/Westighouse system used on the Southern electric EP/BIG/etc stock here.

The modern aircon stock that was being introduced in 1987 was air braked, as was modern freight stock. It appears the days of the vacuum brake in india are numbered apart from the heritage lines.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 9 months later...

They've the same railway equipment that has served most other countries well for a century and a half - unfortunately, the safety and maintenance standards are not properly applied in many instances.

When I was there, admittedly in the steam era in 1979, I witnessed some questionable staff practices!