Rest Stop

Bill_J

Have finally made a start on my CBC entry, by gluing a piece of track to an 8 inch square cake board. I don't want to give away too much at this stage. Photos of progress will follow as soon as I figure out how best to get them to here via my pc.

Regards

Billj

Have finally made a start on my CBC entry, by gluing a piece of track to an 8 inch square cake board. I don't want to give away too much at this stage. Photos of progress will follow as soon as I figure out how best to get them to here via my pc.

Regards

Billj

At the bottom of the post you will see, "reply with attachments"

there should be Attach Files

that is where you browse for the pictures,

then "attach this file"

Then "add to post"

Took me a while to find out how to do this.

Edited by GeoffinOz

Thank you for your replies/comments. 

The problem I'm having is more about getting the photos from my old smartphone to my windows10 pc. I've found my digital camera, but will need to reduce the file size before I post them. With only a little modelling time available before work in the mornings, managing my time is a bit of an issue. Hey-ho, slow and steady wins the race.

A little more info though. I am working this model in HO, So find myself constantly checking, dimensions and clearances etc. The model itself is based on Kassamouli tram stop, but will not feature the AnsaldoBreda trams currently running in Athens. (that's a plan for another occasion).

Regards

post-25424-0-32692200-1524289601_thumb.jpg

For the inset track I chopped up a piece of old Hornby flexible track - not as easy as it sounds - with a razor saw. The action of sawing ripped it from the sleeper base, hence the gaps. So its just as well that it will be buried.

As a genuine cheapskate I am using mostly  old and recycled materials. All of this is experimental for me and my first attempt at actually building anything in many years.

Regards

• Like 1

I had a similar problem with sawing 12 mm gauge track, an alternative method I have used is to file through the the track using a triangular needle file. You could also mark the length required, remove from the sleeper base and then saw to length.

The easiest method is to use a cutting disc in a mini drill.

Martin

Thanks everyone, for your encouragement.

I have been experimenting with ways of representing the channel type track. Unsuccessfully, so far. Hopefully by the weekend there will be more to show 

The odd track ends will be tidied using a mini tool with cutting discs.

Regards

Billd

• 4 weeks later...

Well. After several failed attempts at fabricating something that looks like inset tram tracks using folded card and foil duct tape, I remembered that I had some lengths of peco individualay.

I cut some lengths and with a card insert cut to fit between the rails, with foil tape at the edges, superglued the rail lengths to the foil tape as a representation of the channel.

post-25424-0-79727700-1526708229_thumb.jpg

Still to finish laying the concrete roadbed and have started building up the platform.

I've just looked at my pictures, I'll be lucky to finish this before October unless I can find some more time from somewhere.

More to follow soon - I hope. Now I'm off to hunt through boxes. I know I have some pandrol clips somewhere...

Regards

Billj

• Like 3

I see you are just getting back into modelling, as well, Bill! I try to recycle and use very basic materials where I can, but then I find I sometimes need to buy a few pieces and try and keep these to a minimum. Enjoying following all the threads for this challenge, including yours - so many interesting ideas here on the Forum!!

Hmmm, slightly cryptic, but it also looks as if it may be interesting! To hazard a guess, and going by the looks of the tracks, at least those two at the front, would I be correct to assume that the model has an industrial flavour? It will be interesting to see how it progresses.

I'm currently trying to draw up the bodywork to go with the floor that can just be seen in the second picture above. I'm using Serif Drawplus so that further layers match these dimensions, and so both sides and ends line up correctly.

They will eventually be cut out, stiffened with shellac and assembled following many of the examples that Jim Read has shown on his threads. Many thanks go to Jim for kindly letting me use his pdfs for guidance.

I hope I will have something more to show by the end of the long weekend because at the moment all my pics seem a bit two dimensional.

So far, all I have purchased is one length of peco concrete sleeper track, the eight inch square cake base and some pound shop superglue. Everything else is from my bits and pieces collections.

Regards

Bill

edited to remove one too many 'so far's

Edited by Bill_J

I've got as far as drawing up some bodywork on the pc.

post-25424-0-71769300-1527605583_thumb.jpg

The drawing was printed on to a sheet of bristol board and I have started assembling the bodywork. A sharp knife and good light are essential for this.

post-25424-0-18964300-1527605720_thumb.jpg

The model is based on a tram design built by the Italian company OM-CGE/Breda for the Pireaus to Perama light railway/tramway in the 1930s.

The Breda company later merged with Ansaldo to become Ansaldo-Breda, who were leading builders of trams and urban transit units for many European cities. With Pinaforina designs they built the trams currently in use in Athens.

Incidently,, Ansaldo-Breda are now part of Hitachi Transport System (Europe) B.V.  

Although the Pireaus-Perama line closed in 1977, two of these tram units have been preserved and are now in use as crew rest-stops. I hope, when finished, my little model will do it justice.

Regards

Bill

post-25424-0-71769300-1527605583_thumb.jpg

post-25424-0-18964300-1527605720_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

It's been a while since I posted anything, unfortunately life has a tended to get in the way recently. I have done some work on the scenic treatment in back of the tram stop. There will be some pics later...

Bill

So, as I said the other day, I've done a little with the scenic treatment in odd moments over the past week or so... Here's where I've got to so far.

post-25424-0-56463700-1529610515_thumb.jpg

The groundwork is simply cheap pound shop filler, I spread it on and dab my finger tip all over. this raises a nice earth-like texture. This is coloured with diluted acrylic paints. Some areas of rough vegetation are raised from the filler using a pin point. Concrete paths are laid in filler, textured and stained when dry with coffee.

The ballast is a handful of cat litter (unused), sieved. I coloured it with a few drops of diluted acrylic paint dripped in, stirred. This gives a varied colouring - I was quite pleased with the results.

The other area of filler, bottom left corner,  I have started scribing for block brick paviours. The vegetation - unfinished - is from a hanging basket liner.

The wires poking up are for when/if I can provide led lighting. Loads more still to do...

Regards

Bill

• Like 1

I like the ground cover. Is the track for the old tram not inset like the running lines?

Hi 009, thanks for your interest,

No, the track on the real thing, is just like this, almost a short length of setrack. I was saving my pictures of the real thing for a comparison,

post-25424-0-92975600-1529640707_thumb.jpg

at the end pf the project.

Regards

Bill

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

This project has ground to a halt at the moment, with no more time left, as life has just got in the way too much recently. I will return to it from time to time and it will get finished - probably around this time next year :dontknow: . 

Meanwhile, I started a new one this week. I have run out of time on this one too! It is to be a small scene to photograph various 7mm scale items on, both standard and narrow-gauge. Hope to post some photos this weekend.

All the best to everyone that has managed to get their challenge completed. There are lots of worthy and inspiring entries. Good luck to all.

regards

Bill

• 8 months later...